NCAA Finish Thought Experiment

tennesseekilt

So, I asked a similar question for basketball and as it turned out taking the guaranteed Sweet 16 finish would have been the correct move. Today, I'd like to get your thoughts on the upcoming baseball tournament by asking a couple of questions (not a poll, just questions):

1.) What would you consider to be an acceptable finish for UT baseball this year given how successful the season has already been? CWS appearance? Finals? Championship or bust? (Sure, anything short of a championship will be disappointing, but what finish will ultimately give you that 'OK' feeling after the initial hurt? I know for me I'm still not over the basketball team losing so prematurely.)

2.) If you could make a deal with the baseball gods and guarantee a finals appearance (top 2) in exchange for a guaranteed respectable 2-1 series LOSS to, say, Stanford, would you take it? This would be a respectable finish that would set things up nicely for next year. It would also circumvent any premature losses that could really sour things.

My answers: 1.) CWS appearance at least, hopefully with a couple of wins, and, 2.) Yes, but I tend to be very risk-averse and I know how volatile baseball can be. It would be tempting to say 'no' and I understand why I'll probably get blasted for this, but in this scenario a guaranteed runner-up finish could be desirable.

Go Vols!

1) This season has been a huge success regardless of what happens.
2) No need to make a deal with the baseball gods because the future looks bright.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Just make it to Omaha. Baseball is weird and the championship or bust mentality is a bad one in this sport especially.

So, I asked a similar question for basketball and as it turned out taking the guaranteed Sweet 16 finish would have been the correct move. Today, I'd like to get your thoughts on the upcoming baseball tournament by asking a couple of questions (not a poll, just questions):

1.) What would you consider to be an acceptable finish for UT baseball this year given how successful the season has already been? CWS appearance? Finals? Championship or bust? (Sure, anything short of a championship will be disappointing, but what finish will ultimately give you that 'OK' feeling after the initial hurt? I know for me I'm still not over the basketball team losing so prematurely.)

2.) If you could make a deal with the baseball gods and guarantee a finals appearance (top 2) in exchange for a guaranteed respectable 2-1 series LOSS to, say, Stanford, would you take it? This would be a respectable finish that would set things up nicely for next year. It would also circumvent any premature losses that could really sour things.

My answers: 1.) CWS appearance at least, hopefully with a couple of wins, and, 2.) Yes, but I tend to be very risk-averse and I know how volatile baseball can be. It would be tempting to say 'no' and I understand why I'll probably get blasted for this, but in this scenario a guaranteed runner-up finish could be desirable.

Go Vols!
I'm sorry. This is just so much twisting of easy thought processes.

1) My acceptable year will be when they win it all or lose their last game. Translation: It's not up to me, I'm along for the ride.

2) None of this is possible so why not just watch cartoons. Life comes with NO guarantees so stop trying to make them up. You will only be disappointed.

Look, this doesn't happen every day. It may never happen again. Why not just enjoy it 100% instead of dreaming up all these constraints that can spoil the excitement and the fun. Look at the 8 year old kid hanging on the fence watching the game. He's enjoying it 10X more than you are. You used to be like that. You just got old and forgot how. You see, I am trying to be like the 8 year old kid again. He knows what baseball is all about.

Reactions: Toujours Pret

VN Store

Back