NCAA coronavirus advisory panel details how fan-free college football games are likely

I don't think it's a matter of putting kids at risk as much as it's an acknowledgement that it's nearly impossible to control the risk/liability in a massive crowd.
Is it easier to control it when it is athletes playing football all day? I just don't think a double standard is right. If we don't want people possibly spreading the virus, then that goes for the players too. I personally think we should be a 'swim at your own risk' society.

There a guys on these teams that love playing football. They have worked for years to get to where they are and plan on getting to the NFL to make life changing money. If this season goes away, it takes away a game that they love and maybe their chance to get that check.

Letting these guys play might be the best thing for them. Even without fans.

Get them on the field competing. That’s hat we all want.
That is a valid reason and I could go along with that as a rationale. Some athletes mar decide to forgo the season out of precaution too. I don't think that if they declare no fans at games that a university could then take away a scholarship of an athlete who also didn't want to take a risk.

Perhaps? But, these experts have seemed to fall in love with thier new sweeping powers to control. Remember back during the first few weeks of this when everything was about "Flatten the Curve". It was said over and over and over as the reason and the goal. The fear was supposedly overwhelming the hospitals and entire healthcare sys. After @ 3-4 weeks of watching the curve hardly even happen and our hospitals are ghost towns and many are now on the verge of financial insolvency bc there are no patients. Well, did we rejoice for such Providence, free everything back up, and then recommend caution out there as we got back to work? Uhhh, here we are in late May!

My point is that it's basically impossible to judge with any accuracy how many weeks are going to be locked down due to the mass hysteria.
NB4 the great bearded vol of doom shows up to argue about how everyone is gonna die if we don't lock ourselves in a bunker for at least 2yrs.

NB4 the great bearded vol of doom shows up to argue about how everyone is gonna die if we don't lock ourselves in a bunker for at least 2yrs.

I'm sure. Plenty of terrified people running around quoting constantly variable, yet factual stats. But my point is not to argue this, but to point out that predicting where the fear and hysteria will actually be in the weeks to come is impossible to predict IMO.

Reactions: bullet20
I'm sure. Plenty of terrified people running around quoting constantly variable, yet factual stats. But my point is not to argue this, but to point out that predicting where the fear and hysteria will actually be in the weeks to come is impossible to predict IMO.
I agree. We cant predict the fear down the road just like the predictions of death and infection was no where near accurate. I think we should open it all and let the people make their own choices just my 2 cents worth.

Perhaps? But, these experts have seemed to fall in love with thier new sweeping powers to control. Remember back during the first few weeks of this when everything was about "Flatten the Curve". It was said over and over and over as the reason and the goal. The fear was supposedly overwhelming the hospitals and entire healthcare sys. After @ 3-4 weeks of watching the curve hardly even happen and our hospitals are ghost towns and many are now on the verge of financial insolvency bc there are no patients. Well, did we rejoice for such Providence, free everything back up, and then recommend caution out there as we got back to work? Uhhh, here we are in late May!

My point is that it's basically impossible to judge with any accuracy how many weeks are going to be locked down due to the mass hysteria.
Once you give a government control/power, they will never fully give it back.

I still stand by the thought process of "no fans, no games." If fans and students can't attend, then it's also too much risk for the athletes, coaches, and all others. I still think (hope) college campuses will be open and games will be played.........

Agreed. The greatest hypocrisy would be a decision to play football games while keeping students away from campus.

However, the trend for new cases is clearly downward. The dumbest thing would be to jump the gun with any definitive decisions. I actually think things will look a whole lot more like normal by the time fall comes around.

I would say, if you go to a big game like this, then do her a favor and stay away from Granny's house for a few weeks.

Granny don’t fear anything. She hasn’t worn a mask or gloves during this whole thing m. She has been shopping and going to see her friends. Her and all of her friends are completely fine.

First, the experts have no “power to control”, that power is the politicians’. Experts can only advise based on scientific knowledge. Second, we sheltered in place and the curve was flattened, social isolation works. When we go back out the number of cases will go up, but it will be delayed by about 2-3 weeks. Hopefully with the warm weather the spread will slow, but if we do not have adequate testing and tracking to identify and isolate the infected, the pandemic will not end. The second spike during the 1918 pandemic was by far the worst, and it happened in October after the first wave hit the previous spring.

“Mass hysteria” may be happening, but it’s not the reason for the lockdown. A deadly virus is the reason. I know I may get flamed for my opinion, because this international health crisis has been so politicized, but I’m a physician, and I’m going to put this out on the board because I’m a VFL and I want all my fellow Vols to be safe.

An endless lockdown is not reasonable and we need to get back to a “normal” life ASAP, but trust me: this is not the flu, it is way way worse. My friend from residency who practices in Chicago got the virus and was hospitalized for a week and was nearly intubated multiple times. He is now home but still dealing with blood clots in his lungs from the virus. He’s 35 with no medical problems. Just because younger people aren’t dying doesn’t mean they aren’t getting really really sick.

I want this season to happen as much as all of y’all, but I don’t want any more Vols to have to deal with pulmonary emboli or any of the other numerous complications that can occur from this ******* of a disease. Football is a big deal, but some things are more important. I’m praying for a miracle, and hopefully I’m wrong about this pandemic getting worse before it gets better. Hope all of Volnation is hanging in there, because when we do get back into Neyland I think we are going to have a program to cheer about.

I'll get flamed, but I always ask my friends, who do you know that has been sick with this? I mean REALLY sick. It's always something like nobody, but I have an uncle that knows a guy that died. OK so this is a big audience and of course there are some of you that have a horrible experience with that, and please don't misunderstand, I GET it that the disease can be bad to some. To me, if feels like the majority of us are under house arrest. The expert models from March and April have all been wrong, so I dunno. If it were up to me, I'd say let's open it up. If you feel like you are in the demographic that might be at a higher risk, by all means take precautions. Wear masks, wash hands etc. Protect yourself.
As for me, I thought I had it back in March. Went to get tested and they refused because I didn't check enough of the boxes. I wasn't feeling *that* bad, and my lungs were clear.
So I don't know - perhaps that dry rattle I had and the mild fever was something else. But if I DID have it, I will not be counted as "recovered", and let's say there are thousands more like me, then statistically, the death percentage could be several decimal points off. So thinking that I've already had it, I figured a good way, and one that is beneficial to society as well, would be to sign up for the Covid19 "plasma with antibody" donation crowd. May 8, I was entered into the pool of likely donors. They took something like 3 or 4 vials of blood to check me. As of now, I haven't heard back, but if I do have the antibodies, I'll let you know, and I'll let them take as much plasma as I can give. Hopefully someone struggling with this thing can benefit from that. To sum up, I have absolutely no problem with 102,242 this fall. If you feel vulnerable, stay home or wear a mask. Put a power T on it though. Now it's time for you to respond to me about how I'm killing your grandpa.

Reactions: BigAl and FBtime
‪The NCAA coronavirus advisory panel details how fan-free college football games are likely in 2020.

NCAA coronavirus advisory panel details how fan-free college football games are likely

Despite what they're saying in public, the expectation inside the industry at this point is that college and professional football will be played without fans this year. I think it's a pretty big leap to hope to go from MLB games in August with no fans to football games with tens of thousands of fans in September.

That said, professional leagues are going to be under tremendous pressure from the political realm to play as normal and have fans in attendance. I don't know how that will pare out, but there's going to be pressure on both sides.

The hope certainly is that the virus calms down to the point that changes. But one of the big reason its decreasing is that we don't have groups of thousands of people squeezing into tight spaces like stadiums and arenas.

Despite what they're saying in public, the expectation inside the industry at this point is that college and professional football will be played without fans this year. I think it's a pretty big leap to hope to go from MLB games in August with no fans to football games with tens of thousands of fans in September.

That said, professional leagues are going to be under tremendous pressure from the political realm to play as normal and have fans in attendance. I don't know how that will pare out, but there's going to be pressure on both sides.

The hope certainly is that the virus calms down to the point that changes. But one of the big reason its decreasing is that we don't have groups of thousands of people squeezing into tight spaces like stadiums and arenas.
I definitely fall into the "open it back up" group. I think we can mostly beat this by acting like adults and using common sense. But the one facet of life that gives me pause is large crowds before we know it there's going to be a second wave. It only takes one guy to create a hot spot.

I'll get flamed, but I always ask my friends, who do you know that has been sick with this? I mean REALLY sick. It's always something like nobody, but I have an uncle that knows a guy that died. OK so this is a big audience and of course there are some of you that have a horrible experience with that, and please don't misunderstand, I GET it that the disease can be bad to some. To me, if feels like the majority of us are under house arrest. The expert models from March and April have all been wrong, so I dunno. If it were up to me, I'd say let's open it up. If you feel like you are in the demographic that might be at a higher risk, by all means take precautions. Wear masks, wash hands etc. Protect yourself.
As for me, I thought I had it back in March. Went to get tested and they refused because I didn't check enough of the boxes. I wasn't feeling *that* bad, and my lungs were clear.
So I don't know - perhaps that dry rattle I had and the mild fever was something else. But if I DID have it, I will not be counted as "recovered", and let's say there are thousands more like me, then statistically, the death percentage could be several decimal points off. So thinking that I've already had it, I figured a good way, and one that is beneficial to society as well, would be to sign up for the Covid19 "plasma with antibody" donation crowd. May 8, I was entered into the pool of likely donors. They took something like 3 or 4 vials of blood to check me. As of now, I haven't heard back, but if I do have the antibodies, I'll let you know, and I'll let them take as much plasma as I can give. Hopefully someone struggling with this thing can benefit from that. To sum up, I have absolutely no problem with 102,242 this fall. If you feel vulnerable, stay home or wear a mask. Put a power T on it though. Now it's time for you to respond to me about how I'm killing your grandpa.

Three. All of whom contracted the disease around the time of the shutdown. One is a scout for the Detroit Pistons who lives in Knoxville, I think his story has been pretty widely shared. He was on his deathbed in the ICU, but eventually recovered.

A college buddy and his brother were two of the people that are believed to have been sickened after attending an Indiana state high school basketball playoff game the week of the shutdown. That game was the common link for a high percentage of the initial wave of cases in the state. Five people that attended that game died from the virus. My buddy and his brother both ended up in the hospital, but neither had to be intubated. The doctors believe he will have reduced lung capacity going forward, as his lungs show obvious signs of damage.

Three. All of whom contracted the disease around the time of the shutdown. One is a scout for the Detroit Pistons who lives in Knoxville, I think his story has been pretty widely shared. He was on his deathbed in the ICU, but eventually recovered.

A college buddy and his brother were two of the people that are believed to have been sickened after attending an Indiana state high school basketball playoff game the week of the shutdown. That game was the common link for a high percentage of the initial wave of cases in the state. Five people that attended that game died from the virus. My buddy and his brother both ended up in the hospital, but neither had to be intubated. The doctors believe he will have reduced lung capacity going forward, as his lungs show obvious signs of damage.

@DeerPark12 Glad no one died. Let’s say you are right and no fans but games. How do you think UT will handle this with their donor base?

@DeerPark12 Glad no one died. Let’s say you are right and no fans but games. How do you think UT will handle this with their donor base?

They have already announced their protocol. Donors and those that have bought tickets without a donation will have three options:
- Allow the Tennessee Fund to keep all or part of the money paid as a tax-deductible donation. (Deductible now because no tickets are attached to it)
- Apply the money to the 2021 donation and tickets
- Receive a full refund.

What hasn't been answered is how a refund would affect donor rank. My gut tells me that people that allow some or all their payment to be kept as a donation will move up in rank.

Reactions: 08Vol and JacketVol
The risk to athletes, even if every single one caught it (a low probability), quarantined for a few weeks, and resumed action, is next to nil.

The average age of death of this virus is actually higher than the average age of death of humans in general. Let that sink in. It only poses a significant risk to very old people with already existing comorbidities. That is why we should've started with nursing homes, not society at large, when addressing its spread.
Bs. Who actually believes this? This garbage was spewed in another thread. Still no link for this "key stat"

Reactions: Stoked
If I've overlooked this info my apologies- has it been addressed what happens if a player tests positive during the season? So if one guy tests positive, then I assume you'd basically need to quarantine the team for 14 days. Do you forfeit, reschedule or just strike those games from the schedule?

VN Store

Back