NCAA Championship moving to Sunday afternoon on ABC

mtsuraider06

According to the Athletic:

"The 2023 NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship Game will air on ABC, The Athletic has learned, on Sunday, April 2, at 3 p.m. ET from American Airlines Center in Dallas. The Final Four semifinal matchups will air on ESPN at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. ET on March 31. ESPN says it is committed to placing the title game on ABC in 2023 and 2024.

“We’re committed to 2023 and 2024, which are the only two tournaments we have left under contract with the NCAA,” said ESPN president of programming and original content Burke Magnus, who has been pushing for this change. “Under the presumption, and we certainly hope that’s the case that we do renew and extend a deal that includes the women’s tournament, we would continue to do this as a matter of course.”

"The 2023 women’s basketball tournament will be unique in that the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight rounds which will be played using a two-host format with eight teams competing in Greenville, S.C., and eight teams playing in Seattle. (The championship will follow this two-site regional format through 2027.) That should increase in-arena attendance and also makes it easier for television schedulers. ESPN first aired the tournament on ABC in 2021, with two first-round matchups and four Sweet 16 games available on the broadcast network."

This sounds very interesting, if it grows the game and viewership, I'm all for it. I do have concerns about the two-host format in that it may impose heavier travel burdens on both fans, and some teams. I still favor a more spread out Sweet 16 and Elite 8 as another way to grow and espouse the game to future fans, and reward established fanbases.

VN Store

Back