NCAA aims for less contact in preseason football practice.

Report from the Associated Press this morning. My apologies if this has been posted before. I’m not sure how to link the article. Maybe someone can provide this.

Just the start of contact football being completely eliminated in a few years IMO.
Nah. We've got other options for contact football and it's certainly much more "watchable" than what this version of watered down NFL and CFB have become. Harder hitting, horse collars and cloths line tackles are the norm in the LFL:

No, you are wrong. The best course of action is to reduce head contact and if they got rid of face masks or even went back to leather helmets it would cure the problem. Personally I’d like to see football college and professional, put in weight limits. If player safety and game integrity were important to the people that control the game they would limit the size of the players.
You saying 'No' means nothing. Fewer collisions = less trauma to the brain. It's not really something up for debate.

Trying to spin the issue by changing to leather helmets, no facemasks and limiting player weights is silly. Yes of course that will have a major impact on the way the sport is played. You actually thinking that it will reduce the amount of head injuries is again, silly. Players have learned to play the sport a certain way for many years; removing current helmets and facemasks suddenly will quickly result in some very serious injuries on the field. It's pretty obvious the way to go is better helmet technology, one that is designed to prevent concussions (with a focus of low-to-high blows) rather than prevent skull fractures (the current method, which focuses on extreme blows). It will probably be a helmet similar to the padded ones you see in practices but more advanced, with multiple shock absorbing inner shells and a softer outer shell.

Reactions: AshG
Then you will have more injuries in the regular season if contact practices are limited in the fall or the game becomes a track meet because players will not be conditioned in making tackles. We may see a team score 100 points in a single game.

Targetting, pass interference and roughing the passer allow for pass-heavy teams to have much greater cushions than in years past. The game is changing, just like it always has. Every couple of decades a major change comes into the effect that shapes the way the game is played. Rule and helmet changes to prevent concussions is a part of that change. Get used to it.

Reactions: GAVol
Targetting, pass interference and roughing the passer allow for pass-heavy teams to have much greater cushions than in years past. The game is changing, just like it always has. Every couple of decades a major change comes into the effect that shapes the way the game is played. Rule and helmet changes to prevent concussions is a part of that change. Get used to it.
Exactly what I always say in these threads. And if you go back and watch stuff from the 30 years ago, you realize that compared to today’s game that people lament, the game back then looks slow and prehistoric.

You saying 'No' means nothing. Fewer collisions = less trauma to the brain. It's not really something up for debate.

Trying to spin the issue by changing to leather helmets, no facemasks and limiting player weights is silly. Yes of course that will have a major impact on the way the sport is played. You actually thinking that it will reduce the amount of head injuries is again, silly. Players have learned to play the sport a certain way for many years; removing current helmets and facemasks suddenly will quickly result in some very serious injuries on the field. It's pretty obvious the way to go is better helmet technology, one that is designed to prevent concussions (with a focus of low-to-high blows) rather than prevent skull fractures (the current method, which focuses on extreme blows). It will probably be a helmet similar to the padded ones you see in practices but more advanced, with multiple shock absorbing inner shells and a softer outer shell.

Sure there would be a short term rise in head injuries but then they would decline as players learned. The problem with helmets is players use them as weapons. You don’t see players leading with their head in Aussie football or rugby and both of those are rough games too.

Exactly what I always say in these threads. And if you go back and watch stuff from the 30 years ago, you realize that compared to today’s game that people lament, the game back then looks slow and prehistoric.

And I liked it. Just a personal preference.

I also like pitcher duals in baseball.

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
Thanks but I decline the opportunity to get used to it. I stopped watching the NBA because of the lack of defense and I will do the same with football if it comes down to it.

It always amazed me that John Gagliardi, winningest coach in CFB history didn't let his players hit in practice

It always amazed me that John Gagliardi, winningest coach in CFB history didn't let his players hit in practice
Gagliardi is fascinating. He basically took all the meathead, macho crap out of football and won more than anybody.

Sure there would be a short term rise in head injuries but then they would decline as players learned. The problem with helmets is players use them as weapons. You don’t see players leading with their head in Aussie football or rugby and both of those are rough games too.
You are just showing your ignorance. Concussions would not decline simply because of a lack of facemasks or leather helmets. Look at rates of concussions in under 18 sports and you'll see rugby is the highest, about 4 times higher than nearest sport, which is hockey. It's about 8 times higher than the next nearest sport, which is football. Not only are the sports completely different in how they hit - they have to wrap up when tackling, which means they do not launch themselves. They also cannot tackle above the shoulders. But the concussions rates with collegiate and youth rugby players are significantly higher than any other sport.

We are talking 15/1000 for collegiate rugby vs 5/1000 for collegiate football. And we both know those rates are much, much lower because concussions are not being reported as often as they should plus our concussion-spotting protocols are severely outdated. Also, the studies involving rugby do not get as much exposure as studies involving American sports; likely due to where these studies took place. You are completely wrong if you think rugby is safer than football in terms of concussion rates. As more studies finish and we see broader results, it will probably be something like 1. Rugby, 2. Football 3. Ice Hockey, 4 Women's Soccer

I need to look him up.
Thinking back to my own high school football days, I can think of many times my bell was rung playing offensive line and defensive line too. I was concussed. I know that now, but we kept going in the 80s, and the same with everyone before. I expect to pay a price for that someday. It is a ticking timebomb, just like the connection between sunburn and skin cancer. We all have the damaged skin cells from our youth and now we wait and see if we pay the price in later years. We are no longer ignorant of the consequences. The powers that be have to change things. I see this no different than dehydrating players and watching them fall. No one stands for that anymore. The tide will turn. The game will continue to change.

Good tackling is still possible. I see other teams wrap our guys up pretty consistently.

NCAA is becoming more and more a tool of the woke snowflakes that are destroying this great country. They have also taken more and more to threatening to pull championship events from States that have the AUDACITY to pass laws with which they disagree. That is the very definition of a Political Action Committee. NCAA needs to decide if they are a sports organization or a PAC. If they persist in the latter, it is time for schools to start leaving and form a real sports oversight body.

You've chugged the kool-aid, man.

This is about research and hard data. They're trying to save the sport from lawyers who are chomping at the bit for payouts from CTE and acquired chronic disability lawsuits. These lawsuits, at the University level, could cause catastrophic collateral damage to other sports because of the financial damages bankrupting departments.

Emotions are irrelevant when it comes to data.

VN Store

Back