NCAA Addressing Fake Injuries

GoodlettsvilleVol

For the first time the NCAA is grappling with this issue, much I am sure, to to the interest of our fan base especially after Kiffin's ploys and dishonesty in the Ole Miss game.

Injury timeouts will be examined closely with an eye to determining the nature of that injury. Penalties will be the responsibility of the team's conference.

Things seem a bit unclear but this surely is a step on the right direction.

At least this crap, perpetuated by the likes of Kiffin, will be stopped.

Last edited:
Yea it's a complicated matter all around but sitting kids for the series seems pretty cut n dry to me...Okay ur hurt u have to take a seat until your Offense/Defense has its next possession.There was an article somewhere basically saying they weren't going to do sh*t about it this year I'll see if I can find it.

***Here ya go NCAA Dismisses CFB Fake Injury Rule Change In Stunning Decision | Rocky Top Insider

According to a report from 247 Sports’ Robbie Weinstein, “the NCAA announced on Friday that it will not add rules for the 2022 season that would give game officials the ability to penalize teams that it deems to be faking injuries during games. Although the NCAA will allow programs to report alleged fake injuries, it did not mention any specific penalty or sanction that could be imposed.”
The NCAA’s report provides more clarity as to why this decision was made:

“The committee considered several in-game options to address this, including altering the injury timeout rule to remove the injured student-athlete for more than one play, which is the current rule. This concept was debated at length, but the committee was concerned with the additional issues that could be created and did not want to encourage players to continue to participate when injured.”

Nothing will happen. Player safety, even when the injury is faked, is a trump card. Those in charge can't risk being wrong. It's complicated.

Yup. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze. I’ve said this before, but you simply cannot have refs making judgement calls on injuries being real or fake, no matter how obvious it is.

Without looking up to see what the current rule is, one way to combat it is no interactions between coaches and players during the injury. Any interaction, the coach can use a timeout or take a yardage penalty. If a coach continues to do it, he is removed from the game. Players stay on the field during an injury and are only allowed to receive water during the break.

I’m sure there’s other methods you could employ to tackle the problem, but flags for faking injuries will never happen.

Mandatory out for a quarter would most likely fix the issue (For "safety", of course). For those with legitimate injuries the mandatory quarter rest would be good precaution. For those who were attempting to game the rules, they wouldn't be able to return to play and thus flopping would be discouraged due to only having so many players who could miss a quarter. Problem solved.

Last edited:
In game solution would be to limit substitutions for the team that had to stop play due to an injury. Also, don’t let the coaches meet with or coach up the players that are on the field or the sub going in.

If it determined that a player was flopping in real time, 15 yard penalty and ejection by player and HC with a 6 game suspension. If it’s after the fact 1 year suspension for the HC. If they are serious about ending this, there has to be some bite in the consequences.

For the first time the NCAA is grappling with this issue, much I am sure, to to the interest of our fan base especially after Kiffin's ploys and dishonesty in the Ole Miss game.

Injury timeouts will be examined closely with an eye to determining the natur of that injury. Penalties will be the responsibility of the team's conference.

the actual statement should have said "Nick won't let us do anything, so we're REALLY going to study this thing for another year...but FEEL free to allege fake injuries to league offices, and league will follow that with very politically correct statement on Monday saying nothing". Comical that they "looked at all potential options"..."group think" echo chamber at it's finest. NCAA could post a thread on VN for ideas, and there'd be some pretty good ones posted in minutes.

According to a report from 247 Sports’ Robbie Weinstein, “the NCAA announced on Friday that it will not add rules for the 2022 season that would give game officials the ability to penalize teams that it deems to be faking injuries during games. Although the NCAA will allow programs to report alleged fake injuries, it did not mention any specific penalty or sanction that could be imposed.”

Nothing will happen. Player safety, even when the injury is faked, is a trump card. Those in charge can't risk being wrong. It's complicated.

Play will stop for every injury... not a problem. However each team gets one free one per period or half maybe and then the team gets charged with a timeout. As precious as those are, that will stop a lot of the fakes. You might have to have follow on penalties or my favorite is if the team does not get charged with a timeout,, no yardage, just an automatic first down, until inside two or four minutes of each half when you maybe have to tack on some yardage. Not sure requiring sitting out for some time will ever work or you will just get some designated crampers.

If a player goes down he must be in pain or injured.remove him from the game for a period of time. Simple fix.

Exactly, it's simple. If the player is unable to remove himself from the field of play, he needs a more thorough medical examination. Send him to the tunnel where there is a medical team who will administer a predetermined evaluation that takes a minimum of 5 minutes(or 10) if the player is capable of continuing play. If not, he is either removed from the game or sent for further testing. All this "In the interest of player safety". No need for penalties, refs judgment, anything. Very very simple.

Injury timeouts will be examined closely with an eye to determining the natur of that injury. Penalties will be the responsibility of the team's conference.

What ever Nick says!

Reactions: Volatility

It is not complicated. Have that player sit out for a set number of plays after the time out.

I played football promise when I got hurt that sh*t hurt lol.I know they have new technology that can do this or that now but big difference in injury and dehydrated/winded which I think most of these cases are.I don't see the dilemma in sitting them be it a 3 and out or 12 play td series.

Yea it's a complicated matter all around but sitting kids for the series seems pretty cut n dry to me...Okay ur hurt u have to take a seat until your Offense/Defense has its next possession.There was an article somewhere basically saying they weren't going to do sh*t about it this year I'll see if I can find it.

***Here ya go NCAA Dismisses CFB Fake Injury Rule Change In Stunning Decision | Rocky Top Insider

The NCAA’s report provides more clarity as to why this decision was made:

“The committee considered several in-game options to address this, including altering the injury timeout rule to remove the injured student-athlete for more than one play, which is the current rule. This concept was debated at length, but the committee was concerned with the additional issues that could be created and did not want to encourage players to continue to participate when injured.”
Translation: The NCAA is a toothless tiger and ain’t going to do squat about this farce. Our games this fall will look like a convention of fainting goats.

Which is why that player needs to sit out for remainder of drive, x amount of minutes, etc

VN Store

Back