NCAA 2020??

Lordy.. It's a can of worms. My kids loved it, however players want to get paid for using their likeness. I think the only way it'll fly is if every player on every team had the number 0.

It has very little to do with EA Sports interests... until the NCAA allows them to pay the players, it's always going to be a pipe dream...

Reactions: 05_never_again
It has very little to do with EA Sports interests... until the NCAA allows them to pay the players, it's always going to be a pipe dream...
Yep. EA wants to make the game and is willing to pay the players. It is the NCAA telling them they can't. Or more specifically if EA pays players, then those players are ineligible.
Lordy.. It's a can of worms. My kids loved it, however players want to get paid for using their likeness. I think the only way it'll fly is if every player on every team had the number 0.
I think there's nothing stopping EA from making such a game today, however you have to wonder how a game with completely fictitious players would sell. They did sell well in the days before licensing but that was 30 years ago. People have been deprived of an updated CFB game for years now, so perhaps it would still be a hot item.

In all of the NCAA games EA made, you could create/edit players and people could use those features to create players resembling real ones. That I guess would be the workaround and people could just download the "real" rosters. Even when the NCAA games were being made and the players did resemble real-life counterparts, people would go through the work of putting their real names in there.

Bottom line there has to be enough money floating around for players to get a cut one way or another. How that gets distributed or agreed upon is major hold up.

The kids don't need to be paid for being in a video game. Most of them would be ecstatic just to be on it, give them a copy and call it a day.

The kids don't need to be paid for being in a video game. Most of them would be ecstatic just to be on it, give them a copy and call it a day.

My friend was ecstatic that he got in the game, but that was a different time . Ironically, he and another friend of mine wrecked a boosters $80,000 Audi after a party, didn’t fix it and wound up having to transfer to a mid-major before being charged with grand theft auto and leaving the scene . The football office and compliance found out and that was that. We actually recruited him here briefly luckily we wound up with the Iceman instead.

Yep. EA wants to make the game and is willing to pay the players. It is the NCAA telling them they can't. Or more specifically if EA pays players, then those players are ineligible.

I think there's nothing stopping EA from making such a game today, however you have to wonder how a game with completely fictitious players would sell. They did sell well in the days before licensing but that was 30 years ago. People have been deprived of an updated CFB game for years now, so perhaps it would still be a hot item.

In all of the NCAA games EA made, you could create/edit players and people could use those features to create players resembling real ones. That I guess would be the workaround and people could just download the "real" rosters. Even when the NCAA games were being made and the players did resemble real-life counterparts, people would go through the work of putting their real names in there.
It would be a huge seller. Nothing EA can do until the NCAA changes.

Don’t think it’ll be that simple, most will be fine with that but there will be athletes that will want to be paid. I’m sure EA has thought about this and has a plan.

I think the fact the NCAA is even open to the idea of athletes getting compensated for their likeness makes me think it’ll happen (which is long overdue).

It feels like there is starting to be actual momentum for this being developed again. Somebody has to have to put some time and effort over the years into reimagining the game on current platforms and then what and the lawyers ideas on route of compensation would possibly be for all the players. Whether it be withheld in some sort of trust they can have access to until their career is over or every single player is compensated the exact same amount during the release. Would they stay at a 70 man roster or go full 85?

VN Store

Back