'20 NC OT Mitchell Mayes

In truth the traffic is only really bad for 1-2 hrs in the AM and 1-2 hrs in the evening. We’ve been here for about 2 years and the family loves it. It’s nice here and fits us well but I’d like to end up closer to the mountains in the next 4-6 years.

Yeah I lived there for 5 years it was good times. Have to say I like it up in the Boston / New Hampshire area better....

Side note: I haven't had to endure a winter here yet though.

“The atmosphere was amazing,” Mayes, the 2020 four-star offensive tackle from Raleigh, N.C., told GoVols247. “There was so much fan excitement and energy. I walked to us the bathroom and I had like five of these men telling me ‘Go Vols’ and ‘Hope you come here,’ stuff like that. It was a great time. Coach Pruitt, Coach (Will) Friend, Coach (Brian) Niedermeyer, Coach (Montario) Hardesty, pretty much the whole coaching staff,” Mayes said. “They’re all great guys. Love those guys.”

Mayes said he hears from Niedermeyer and Hardesty the most, but Pruitt and even outside linebackers coach Chris Rumph are staying in touch, wanting him in the 2020 class just as badly as the Tennessee fans he came across on Saturday. “They told me they come in behind this class with Wanya (Morris), then Trey Smith,” Smith said, “(and) when I get there and I’d be a great addition to their offensive line. They need me to help with the pressure up there. The last game they played against Missouri didn’t go as well.”

“They’re just telling me that with Wanya and Trey at tackle, they’d start me out as an inside guy and when they leave, I’d go outside,” Mayes said. “They need me for the O-line, that’s what they’ve said.” That’s what Mayes said he’s looking for in a school. One that wants him. One that needs him. “Not a school that’s playing around,” Mayes said. “Just a school that keeps it real and tells me what they think, not what I want to hear, stuff like that.”

“Everyday or twice a day it’s Clemson,” Mayes said, asked who he hears from the most. “Maybe twice a day.” He said he’s headed to North Carolina this weekend and could be back at Tennessee for another visit as soon as January or February. “That’s when the coaches told me to come back,” Mayes said. “Come over, talk and watch film, meet with them and stuff.” That means the Vols have to be pretty high on his list, right? “I don’t have any list or anything,” Mayes said, “but I do really like Tennessee. I like Tennessee.”

“They’re just telling me that with Wanya and Trey at tackle, they’d start me out as an inside guy and when they leave, I’d go outside,” Mayes said. “They need me for the O-line, that’s what they’ve said.” That’s what Mayes said he’s looking for in a school. One that wants him. One that needs him. “Not a school that’s playing around,” Mayes said. “Just a school that keeps it real and tells me what they think, not what I want to hear, stuff like that.”

This is a 100% difference in recruiting philosophy from the last coaching staff, where they recruited guards to be tackles...

Reactions: SweetasSoda

This is a 100% difference in recruiting philosophy from the last coaching staff, where they recruited guards to be tackles...
Interesting they mentioned Trey.

Callahan on him mentioning Trey...

Personally, I don't think there's much to read into that. If coaches were telling OL prospects that Wanya Morris and somebody else were going to be the tackles next year, word would get out and people would assume Tennessee was moving on without Trey, when the reality is no statement has been made about Smith's football future.

In situations like this in recruiting, I've found that coaches are likely to assume the player will be back or not say anything particularly revealing when indirectly referencing a player with an uncertain future. We haven't seen a situation quite like Trey's, but there have been other situations in recruiting where we've heard of coaches just taking the safe route in assuming a player on the current roster is going to be there. Recruits talk, and they know that, so coaches don't want to inadvertently say something that's unfair or too revealing about a player that might get leaked in an interview like that.

makes sense. kinda how it took that when i saw his name mentioned. he's here...until he's not.

I would think it would be safer to assume Trey won't be back. I think that article is just the recruiting pitch of "hey you could play with Trey." I doubt two incidents of life threatening experiences are going to inspire Trey to keep playing.

I would think it would be safer to assume Trey won't be back. I think that article is just the recruiting pitch of "hey you could play with Trey." I doubt two incidents of life threatening experiences are going to inspire Trey to keep playing.
Of course not. Trey is likely done playing but until that's public the coaches aren't going to tell recruits he's done.

A year ago, Raleigh, North Carolina offensive lineman Mitchell Mayes admits he was overwhelmed by the recruiting process that exploded around him with offer after offer. As 2019 arrives, the 6-foot-5, 300 pound four-star prospect is now comfortable with all the attention and has a busy few months planned. “Back then it was insane to me,” Mayes admitted. “Now I’m more used to it. I’m extremely blessed to be in this position. “I will for sure be at Tennessee, Clemson, NC State, FSU and UNC. I think I will get up to Virginia Tech and I might go see Georgia,” Mayes said

Mayes has seen Tennessee multiple times already. His last trip to Rocky Top was for the Missouri game. Mayes has a great rapport with the Tennessee coaching staff including texting with them on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. “The coaching staff shows me so much love,” Mayes explained. “They are so good to me and my family. I text with coach Neidermeyer and coach Pruitt all the time. I have really good relationship with them. I talk to Coach Pruitt more than any other head coach.

Tennessee’s message to Mayes is simple. Come be part of building a great foundation in the trenches. “They want me and they need me to build a great O-line with guys like Wayna (Morris) and Chris (Akporoghene) and hopefully Darnell (Wright),” said Mayes. Mayes doesn’t know Morris, Wright or Akporoghene. He is however hearing from a future Vol. “Once Harrison Bailey committed to Tennessee he started DMing about being a Vol,” Mayes said. “He seems like a really nice guy.”

Even though the recruiting calendar is sped up and Mayes is planning on a lot of visits in the spring, he’s not necessarily planning on an early decision. “I will commit when I am am ready,” Mayes said. “You have to understand it’s about what you want and not what the coaches are telling you. “My mom has be comfortable and trust the coaches in leaving me with them. She is a big part of my life. So it has to be a really family place. I’m looking for a great atmosphere and a place really wanting to win.”

-VQ

VN Store

Back