Raleigh, NC (Sanderson)

PROFILES:

247 - Mitchell Mayes, Sanderson, Offensive Tackle

RIVALS - Mitchell Mayes, 2020 Offensive tackle - Rivals.com

OFFERS:

AppSt, BC, Clemson, Duke, MissSt, NCSt, UNC, Cuse, Vandy, UVa, WVU

Visiting June 23, 2018

Last edited:
very good prospect. Hard to see him leaving Raleigh due to family, but he's visiting. One things for sure, our 20 OL class is going to be very good.

How tall is Pruitt? I’m so used to trying to measure a recruits height when they stand next to Butch lol

very good prospect. Hard to see him leaving Raleigh due to family, but he's visiting. One things for sure, our 20 OL class is going to be very good.

I would say our 19 and 20 OL is going to be very good and that makes me giddy , I’m a firm believer that if you build a strong OL /DL .. They will come . To me that’s building a strong foundation and working our way up . The last few years I have thought we were starting with a top down concept trying to work around not having a good offensive line . Big uglies up front makes it easy to talk those elite rbs , wrs and qbs into coming and playing for us .

“i went with my mom, and my mom and i very much enjoyed the atmosphere and everything about tennessee,” said mayes, who’s ranked the no. 91 overall prospect and no. 11 offensive tackle in the 247sports composite for the 2020 class. “i will try to come back with my family. It’ll be a good place to come back.” mayes said he “gotten interest from them before” the visit, and while he was on campus, he "could tell by the way they were talking to me that i was going to get an offer.”

he received the news during a meeting with pruitt, who told mayes that he could be “a very good fit” for the vols’ program. “my mom and i went into coach pruitt’s office and we talked for a while, and he gave me an offer,” mayes said. “he said i’m a great player, and i can do a lot of things here at tennessee and help the offense grow.”

he said he and his mother “had a long conversation” with friend, discussing mostly “personal stuff” rather than focusing on recruiting or how he might fit into tennessee’s plans. “we didn’t even just talk only about football,” mayes said, recalling his meeting with friend. “we were talking about life in general, and he was telling my mom and i this would be a good place for us, that i can just grow and develop into a great player here. “he’s very upfront. He’s not going to be inconsistent or unfair in any way. He’ll be real with you, which i respect very much.”

“i didn’t start playing football, really, until eighth grade,” he said. “i played d-line my freshman year. My overall age, they always talk about how young i am. Because i’ve only played one year on the o-line, they don’t really say i’m inexperienced, because i still played there. But they know there’s a lot more potential in me.”

mayes said he “really enjoyed watching” florida state growing up, “with jameis winston and everything. But i wasn’t, like, a huge football person, really, ’til about eighth grade.” north carolina, n.c. State, duke and wake forest also have hosted him within the past several weeks. For now, he said he’s in no hurry to decide on a college. “all my schools are equal right now,” mayes said. "i don’t have any lists or anything like that. … i’m not very sure about a decision time or anything, but we’ll see.”

So excited to build out this 2020 recruiting class. We have a chance of landing a stellar O-Line haul in 2019. We could land an O-Line class in 2020 that is just as good, if not better, than 2019's. It's literally been since the Fulmer era since we've had elite Offensive Lines. So glad Pruitt is finally addressing something that the last 3 coaches didn't.

Surprising. Most see him as an NCSU lock due to living in Raleigh. Pack should benefit from distance I’m this one but hey he’s visiting again

Maybe he wants to leave home, see something new. Crazy, I know.

It would be nice. It’s a win getting him back here especially since he’s at State the night before.

As Tennessee makes a push into North Carolina under its new staff, offensive tackle Mitchell Mayes has become an early priority in the 2020 class. Mayes camped with the Vols at the end of June, quickly earning an offer. The 4-star offensive tackle from Sanderson High (N.C.) also holds early scholarships from Clemson, UNC, N.C. State and Penn State, among others. The 6-foot-5, 293-pound tackle had invites to attend the weekend events at the aforementioned four schools, plus Florida, but Mayes decided to return to Tennessee for the second time in about a month.

“I came up here back in June and it was just really fun. The whole point of today was to just have fun, too,” Mayes told VolQuest.
“Not really much recruiting going on. It was good to just hang out and have fun today. I had a terrific time my first visit, so I just wanted to come back and check it out.”

Mayes played offensive line for the first time during his sophomore season, with colleges really taking notice this spring of the right tackle's upside and impressive footwork for such a young player. Mayes recently picked up a scholarship from Virginia Tech and the rising junior also visited N.C. State on Friday. The Wolfpack have quickly prioritized the in-state tackle, but Tennessee — with its efforts led by quality control analyst Montario Hardesty — have become a real factor, too. “I really like Tennessee,” Mayes said.

“I enjoy everything about it. I’m glad I came back. I have a good relationship with the coaching staff, especially coach Montario Hardesty. He’s a real cool guy. We click pretty good.” Mayes plans on seeing more of the Vols over the next few months, too, penciling in a pair of visits for games this fall. “I know I’m going to the Charlotte game (vs. West Virginia),” he said. “I’ll going to come back to Knoxville too but not sure specifically when yet.”

-VQ

True, I've lived and worked there. It's not that great lol. Better then a lot of places but still.... Not great, I'd take Knoxville any day.

Raleigh is a great place to live now, and one of the fastest growing places in the nation. Booming. State has gotten a lot of kids this class due to mamas. I think this may be another

Reactions: Crookruss
Raleigh is a great place to live now, and one of the fastest growing places in the nation. Booming. State has gotten a lot of kids this class due to mamas. I think this may be another

Lol if you like the Triangle Traffic. I just moved from there about 3 weeks ago. Raleigh is alright. There is definitely a lot to do. I'd prefer Wilmington though lol.

Lol if you like the Triangle Traffic. I just moved from there about 3 weeks ago. Raleigh is alright. There is definitely a lot to do. I'd prefer Wilmington though lol.
In truth the traffic is only really bad for 1-2 hrs in the AM and 1-2 hrs in the evening. We’ve been here for about 2 years and the family loves it. It’s nice here and fits us well but I’d like to end up closer to the mountains in the next 4-6 years.

VN Store

Back