‘23 NC EDGE Rico Walker (Maryland commit)

From UNC 247 Mod today in a weekly thing he does.

View attachment 468075
Everybody has the same excuse if we beat them for a highly regarded recruit. It was only because NIL. Even some of our fans are guilty of the same logic. Why is it so difficult to give our coaches, fanbase, facilities, AD, current players as well as current commits, and the city of Knoxville and surrounding areas some credit as well? All these factors are contributing to us having a very nice class this year.

Everybody has the same excuse if we beat them for a highly regarded recruit. It was only because NIL. Even some of our fans are guilty of the same logic. Why is it so difficult to give our coaches, fanbase, facilities, AD, current players as well as current commits, and the city of Knoxville and surrounding areas some credit as well? All these factors are contributing to us having a very nice class this year.
Agreed. But whatever helps them sleep at night. As long as we get who we want, don't care.🍊

Because it’s the easy way now. It’s also a misnomer in a way. While NIL clearly matters relationships, success and coaching staffs still play the larger part.

If this is truly the case, then why do the teams that have won at the highest level year in and year out always have the most 4 and 5* guys?

Well, if this is true why are there so many p5 misses in the NFL? Using stars to calculate probability of success is one thing, establishing limits on any player that has been evaluated and targeted by coaches is something altogether different. NFL introductions point out the misses every Sunday. Late bloomers alone make accurately ranking even 90% of players based on their play through their Jr season highly improbable. So if you are signing kids from that 10% pool after seeing them up close and personal, life CAN be good. Better risk reward odds on those who started shaving in the 6th grade and played for strong highly visible programs and got to go to a lot of camps, BUT sometimes schools get to see players after the Jr season highlights are published. Some growth changes, speed work, and better coaching at camps and 7v7 type outings can also be predictors of high end potential. Running behind really bad lines, catching passes from a weak armed QB, being the only real OL on your team can make evaluations impossible. Defensive guys have it a bit easier to excel individually. Sacks and pressures through double teams are what they are, and covering stud outside receivers too. Tackling, making right reads, and making the right drops can be evident regardless of the skill levels of your team and the opposition.

Reactions: onevol74
Well, if this is true why are there so many p5 misses in the NFL? Using stars to calculate probability of success is one thing, establishing limits on any player that has been evaluated and targeted by coaches is something altogether different. NFL introductions point out the misses every Sunday. Late bloomers alone make accurately ranking even 90% of players based on their play through their Jr season highly improbable. So if you are signing kids from that 10% pool after seeing them up close and personal, life CAN be good. Better risk reward odds on those who started shaving in the 6th grade and played for strong highly visible programs and got to go to a lot of camps, BUT sometimes schools get to see players after the Jr season highlights are published. Some growth changes, speed work, and better coaching at camps and 7v7 type outings can also be predictors of high end potential. Running behind really bad lines, catching passes from a weak armed QB, being the only real OL on your team can make evaluations impossible. Defensive guys have it a bit easier to excel individually. Sacks and pressures through double teams are what they are, and covering stud outside receivers too. Tackling, making right reads, and making the right drops can be evident regardless of the skill levels of your team and the opposition.
Well over the last several years the teams that have the highest number of 4 and 5 star recruits are the top teams, ie bama, ga., tosu, okla., Clemson, are the consistent top teams. We will see if tx am haul the last couple of years results in high level results. I’d add LSU in that list if the qb play and coaching had been consistent. but that one year was something else.
it doesnt matter how you determine nfl results, I want top results for the Vols. It’s going to be very difficult to get into the top level of recruiting consistently unless we have a lot better results on the field and more players drafted into the league.

Does anyone on this site really think coaches wait on fools at recruiiting services to tell them who is good ? HELL NO. These guys do not have the resources to honestly evaluate every kid with a ranking. Not every kid can afford to camp either, travel cost etc. And sure the argument of Clemson, Bama etc. I guess you can use that but those programs know what a player looks like and how to mold them. We have a staff for the first time since Kiffin that actually knows what a kid with a chance to play in NFL is supposed to look like. If our guys feel they can play and be a team mate I am certainly ok with who they take.

Does anyone on this site really think coaches wait on fools at recruiiting services to tell them who is good ? HELL NO. These guys do not have the resources to honestly evaluate every kid with a ranking. Not every kid can afford to camp either, travel cost etc. And sure the argument of Clemson, Bama etc. I guess you can use that but those programs know what a player looks like and how to mold them. We have a staff for the first time since Kiffin that actually knows what a kid with a chance to play in NFL is supposed to look like. If our guys feel they can play and be a team mate I am certainly ok with who they take.
More likely that the recruiting services start adjusting their ratings after seeing who the top team are getting.

Based off the past I’m still holding out on talent evaluation with this staff. You can point to a few guys and make a case but as a whole we need more case studies.

More likely that the recruiting services start adjusting their ratings after seeing who the top team are getting.
And really this is my point. When staffs evaluate and many of the top schools want them your probably gonna end up with more stars. However that doesn't always work. Bama signs high rated kids every year that are told to look elsewhere or just leave. It happens everywhere. And yes I have high believe in OUR staff. Mostly because of what they did with a team that wasn't supposed to compete sure they made mistakes at times and yes depth was a big issue and probably the biggest issue, but in my eyes I believe they will get it right. Can't win every battle for a player, what you can do is build a team that has fun together and are accountable.

Well over the last several years the teams that have the highest number of 4 and 5 star recruits are the top teams, ie bama, ga., tosu, okla., Clemson, are the consistent top teams. We will see if tx am haul the last couple of years results in high level results. I’d add LSU in that list if the qb play and coaching had been consistent. but that one year was something else.
it doesnt matter how you determine nfl results, I want top results for the Vols. It’s going to be very difficult to get into the top level of recruiting consistently unless we have a lot better results on the field and more players drafted into the league.

Granted, more stars is a good thing if you are only playing the averages, but when you are working your way to the top you have to also be good at finding the under valued players by the services, they are always out there. Getting a three star to out perform a bunch of 4 stars is how you gain traction and have to do it less with success. I like MOST of our 3 star guys we have on the list today and think they have a shot to be difference makers, we need them to, just like we need our 4 star guys to not be in the over valued category.

Granted, more stars is a good thing if you are only playing the averages, but when you are working your way to the top you have to also be good at finding the under valued players by the services, they are always out there. Getting a three star to out perform a bunch of 4 stars is how you gain traction and have to do it less with success. I like MOST of our 3 star guys we have on the list today and think they have a shot to be difference makers, we need them to, just like we need our 4 star guys to not be in the over valued category.

To me that is the value of hiring a staff from UCF, they have been successful of evalutating lower rated players & coaching them up because they were not able to get the 5 stars interested in UCF

lol they gonna act like NC can't have a good NIL set up.....besides isnt this the school that made up fake classes?

Heels fans have a very holier than thou attitude and believe they do no wrong. Recruits just line up to play for Mack and all that tradition, lol.

Dre Bly bought about 5 players from Va Beach area alone in the last class.

Heels fans have a very holier than thou attitude and believe they do no wrong. Recruits just line up to play for Mack and all that tradition, lol.

Dre Bly bought about 5 players from Va Beach area alone in the last class.
Most sports fans outside of NC have no idea the kind of superiority complex UNC fans have. That's why I hate them even worse than UF... and I REALLY hate UF.

If that’s true why doesn’t Alabama and Georgia go after mid ranked 3 stars. . . Alabamas been dominating the sport for a decade and a half and has been Top 3 in recruiting classes for that decade and a half
Guess you didn’t see the 3/4* WR they just took a commitment from out of Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebowbear
To me that is the value of hiring a staff from UCF, they have been successful of evalutating lower rated players & coaching them up because they were not able to get the 5 stars interested in UCF
Yep, that works to might get you to high middle of the pack in the s.e.c. Sure is an improvement over the last several years, but still a long way from top level teams In the conference and country at large. Next step I suppose and hope for better times ahead.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Yep, that works to might get you to high middle of the pack in the s.e.c. Sure is an improvement over the last several years, but still a long way from top level teams In the conference and country at large. Next step I suppose and hope for better times ahead.
They are getting better talent than they were at UCF. They will compete with anyone on the recruiting trail if they can start getting some more people in the league. I think they are off to a good start with some of the draft picks this year.

VN Store

Back