‘23 NC DL Daevin Hobbs (Tennessee commit)

At what point does Saban's age become tangible recruiting fodder? (i.e. He likely won't be there during your Alabama tenure)
I think now. Sabans age in addition to no longer being the clear number 1 team in the SEC MIGHT lead to retirement. He now wouldn't be favored against UGA. Jimbo Fischer is a thorn in his side, Heupel has shown his offense will give Saban Nightmares, and Kelly will have a more consistent LSU team for Saban to compete against (outside of the 1 year that Ed O lucked into). If Auburn gets a good higher, I could see Saban looking to retire in 2 to 3 years.

I think it's legitimate. He's either going to quit soon or he's going to hold on too long. Neither outcome is good for Alabama. At this point I hope he stays because the decline is only going to accelerate, especially as the pressure from better competition increases. If you're a top player considering UT or Bama, why would you go to Alabama over UT right now? UT is the future, Bama is the past. The end of game sequence was so poorly coached from Bama's standpoint that it is one of the worst coaching sequences I've ever seen.

Imagine being so stupid or arrogant that you pass the ball at the end of the game and leave enough time and timeouts to give the opponent a chance to start their own game winning drive when it would have been extremely easy to just run and give your team the only shot to win in regulation. Nick Saban is that stupid and he isn't going to get smarter as he ages. I hope he stays another ten years and UT beats his ass.
I'm thinking he's going to hold on too long considering he just extended his contract to 2030.

They gave up 41 to App State in the FOURTH QUARTER. Their defense is beyond bad. Can’t imagine that defensive coaching staff will be intact much longer. Even Mack’s time may be coming.
Chizik just got there, he was hired bc their D was terrible last season. They have some good pieces, they’re talented. They have a lot of guys we wanted like Ritzie and 5 star Grimes, they’re just soft. I know Hobbs is from Concord, but there is clearly 1 team that doesn’t belong on that list.

Last edited:
I think it's legitimate. He's either going to quit soon or he's going to hold on too long. Neither outcome is good for Alabama. At this point I hope he stays because the decline is only going to accelerate, especially as the pressure from better competition increases. If you're a top player considering UT or Bama, why would you go to Alabama over UT right now? UT is the future, Bama is the past. The end of game sequence was so poorly coached from Bama's standpoint that it is one of the worst coaching sequences I've ever seen.

Imagine being so stupid or arrogant that you pass the ball at the end of the game and leave enough time and timeouts to give the opponent a chance to start their own game winning drive when it would have been extremely easy to just run and give your team the only shot to win in regulation. Nick Saban is that stupid and he isn't going to get smarter as he ages. I hope he stays another ten years and UT beats his ass.

Yeah bro. The guy who has won 7 NC is a dumbazz when it comes to coaching.

I don’t understand these takes. We beat Bama, which is a monumental accomplishment, but doesn’t mean we have suddenly overtaken their place in the landscape of college football. Do we have the opportunity moving forward? Hell yes. And it’s gonna be fun watching Heupel build. But c’mon.

I don’t understand these takes. We beat Bama, which is a monumental accomplishment, but doesn’t mean we have suddenly overtaken their place in the landscape of college football. Do we have the opportunity moving forward? Hell yes. And it’s gonna be fun watching Heupel build. But c’mon.
Yeah, nothing we accomplish going forward will diminish what Saban has done at Alabama.

Reactions: VolInDayton

When there are doubts about a coaches future and longevity, the decline is often severe. See Bobby Bowden.

Reactions: Volpac Sackyou
When there are doubts about a coaches future and longevity, the decline is often severe. See Bobby Bowden.
Decline?

BE34F128-10C3-4CF3-AD60-7FC3AD758562.png

I’d love to see a decline! I’ll take Bama being only an 8 win team every year. But that’s not the case as of now. And nothing points to it being the case.

Saban just signed an extension through 2030.

The expansion of the college football playoff changes the game that Saban has been dominating. It will be harder to have a monopoly on college football. I think this will player the largest factor in him no longer wanting to participate. I don't think Tennessee will be the school that negatively recruits Nick Sabans future, but Kirby and UGA easily could be.

Decline?

View attachment 503389

I’d love to see a decline! I’ll take Bama being only an 8 win team every year. But that’s not the case as of now. And nothing points to it being the case.

Saban just signed an extension through 2030.

It doesn't happen overnight but it's a gradually and then suddenly deal. The inertia of Alabama will keep them near the top for a couple more seasons and then the doubts about how long the midget will be there will start to really impact them negatively along with increased competition.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
It doesn't happen overnight but it's a gradually and then suddenly deal. The inertia of Alabama will keep them near the top for a couple more seasons and then the doubts about how long the midget will be there will start to really impact them negatively along with increased competition.

Well yeah. He’s 70. At some point he has to retire. But you’re still talking years away

It's the same, to me, though on a lesser scale, as those who predicted Clemson was going to suddenly fall on their face after Venebles left for the OU job as if 4 title game appearances, and 2 championships in the last 8 years didn't happen. Yet, here they are, 6-0 with one the best defenses in the country. You build up some cachet with that kind of recent history, yet some of our fans tend to hyper-accelerate the downfall of modern CFB dynasties at the first sign of a crack in the armor. Clemson, as long as they're playing in the ACC and Dabo is coaching them, is going to be a top-10, team. I'll have to see it prove out, otherwise, to believe it. Same with Bama. This loss isn't the death knell for their program. The win for Tennessee is much more significant than the loss is for Bama in terms of defining each program.

Saban is going to pull elite talent every year. No question about that.

However, it’ll be interesting to see if he adapts to Heupel’s style of play or sticks with his own philosophy.

Can’t imagine other coaches not taking notice of what Heupel is doing with the offense.

It's the same, to me, though on a lesser scale, as those who predicted Clemson was going to suddenly fall on their face after Venebles left for the OU job as if 4 title game appearances, and 2 championships in the last 8 years didn't happen. Yet, here they are, 6-0 with one the best defenses in the country. You build up some cachet with that kind of recent history, yet some of our fans tend to hyper-accelerate the downfall of modern CFB dynasties at the first sign of a crack in the armor. Clemson, as long as they're playing in the ACC and Dabo is coaching them, is going to be a top-10, team. I'll have to see it prove out, otherwise, to believe it. Same with Bama. This loss isn't the death knell for their program. The win for Tennessee is much more significant than the loss is for Bama in terms of defining each program.
I think Clemson is going to decline because of our accession and Dabo's stupid stances on transfers and NIL. That said, it will likely be a slow decline with beatings in the Playoff due to the ACC being so weak.

Well yeah. He’s 70. At some point he has to retire. But you’re still talking years away
Saban looks healthy and his team is still one of the best in the sport. The landscape of the SEC and CFB is going to be completely different in 2024. He can compete in the future, he just won't be having the same level of success. If he's ok with losing more than 1 game a year he could be around for another 8 years, but I could see him going out on top

Reactions: MarcoVol

I will say - I believe the longer term (post-Saban) future of the conference is UGA and UT. It’s gonna be fun to watch.

I think Clemson is going to decline because of our accession and Dabo's stupid stances on transfers and NIL. That said, it will likely be a slow decline with beatings in the Playoff due to the ACC being so weak.
Well, someone needs to tell these 4-5* high school kids that keep committing to them, then. They don't seem fazed, right now.

VN Store

Back