‘23 NC DL Daevin Hobbs (Tennessee commit)

All the good ones I've seen mentioned are at schools that don't attract top talent. Arnett at MSU and the guy at Illinois aren't bringing top recruits with them. The good DCs that could bring those type of recruits with them are probably already at a top program and have no reason to leave.
So stay with a second rate DC for several more years of second rate D play holding the team back over maybe losing a recruit or 2 in 1 cycle that would probably be offset by coaching up the ones we do have and better D on the field immediately.?
Great strategy,,,,,

If continued disappointing results are what you want

We begin this portion with the biggest remaining target on the board and that’s Daevin Hobbs. Hobbs has been trending for the Vols since late September and we don’t believe they have ever fallen out of favor for Hobbs. Hobbs has continued to play basketball, even though he will be a midterm enrollee coming up in January. He loves the game and wants to get in a couple extra games with his high school teammates. Hobbs has loved Tennessee well before they offered this summer and his visits for Florida and Alabama left a lasting impression on him. He will announce at 5 pm on Friday.
-VQ

Kirby got in late this week on Thursday drunk dressed n turkey attire.He was convinced turkeys could fly.Multiple players and staff try to coax him down from the roof of Samford stadium,but to no avail he jumped and scream "GO VOLS"as he plummeted to his death.Were happy to report no one gave a sh*t and it was business as usual on Friday...Willie Martinez was named head coach will have more as this story unfolds 😂
Fyp

LOL, it's a joke McGill. Hobbs is all Vol. Thankfully because we don't have any recruiting mo anywhere else in this class. This is a big get.

With this class close to full, I don’t know that there are many other names we would take after Hobbs, given our needs in the portal. Arion Carter and Elijah Davis are the two big ones remaining and both have OVs in December. Assuming they make those visits, let’s see how things stand after they take them. The Ramil talk seems to have cooled.

After those two, I’d hold remaining spots (however many there are) for portal additions at CB, TE, S, LB, OT, and maybe a best available or two.

Last edited:
Meh. Saban replaced both of his coordinators after his first year, went to Atlanta with two new coordinators and won it all the 3rd year. Replacing coaches isn’t the problem. It’s using poor judgement when you replace them. I’m certainly no expert but Banks seems like a Randy Sanders Defensive coach. Competent but not elite and probably not going to win a championship with him. If Heupel keeps him I’ll support him 100% but I’d like to see Tennessee swing for the fences for once. Even Butch went out and got what we thought was a HR, although it turned out that Shoop wasn’t the reason for the success of that team
It's not replacing coaches that's been the problem, it's who we've replaced them with.

With this class close to full, I don’t know that there are many other names we would take after Hobbs, given our needs in the portal. Arion Carter and Elijah Davis are the two big ones remaining and both have OVs in December. Assuming they make those visits, let’s see how things stand after they take them. The Ramil talk seems to have cooled.

After those two, I’d hold remaining spots (however many there are) for portal additions at CB, S, LB, OT, and maybe a best available or two.
TE is still the biggest need from the portal.

It's not replacing coaches that's been the problem, it's who we've replaced them with.
That’s what people don’t understand. No one is calling for Heupel’s head or anything ludicrous like that. Just simply take a look at a few defensive area coaches and weaknesses which at season’s end I think he’ll do. We’ve got much stronger leadership making these calls now. A lot of confidence in them than who we had prior

Reactions: InVOLuntary
That’s what people don’t understand. No one is calling for Heupel’s head or anything ludicrous like that. Just simply take a look at a few defensive area coaches and weaknesses which at season’s end I think he’ll do. We’ve got much stronger leadership making these calls now. A lot of confidence in them than who we had prior
The job should be much more attractive this time.

Making staff changes like that is definitely trickier now than it was back then due to the transfer portal, immediate eligibility for transfers, and maybe even the early signing period. You have to make sure that staff changes don't push kids to transfer or recruits to jump ship.

I get it. But imagine if the portal had existed in 06 when Cut was cussing Ainge like a dog after only a month on campus. Ainge put up with it because he knew who he was being coached by. If we hire reputable coaches then knowledgeable players who want a future can stay. If we fire Martinez and replace him with Corey Raymond or Zook and McCullough and Burrell want to transfer to Georgia Tech then don’t let the door hit you. The portal works both ways. You leave because of a coaching change, we’ll replace you that afternoon.

Or if you’re truly hiring a really good one he would probably bring a few players or recruits on board with him.

This thought process sure has evolved from “kids should commit to a school and not a coach”. Was pretty much always a bs argument but in the past you wouldn’t see many posters admitting it

Reactions: sonofUT62
This thought process sure has evolved from “kids should commit to a school and not a coach”. Was pretty much always a bs argument but in the past you wouldn’t see many posters admitting it
It should be the school, not the coach. But it’s not that way and hasn’t been in forever.

It should be the school, not the coach. But it’s not that way and hasn’t been in forever.

Should it? Recruiting is based on relationships. Relationships are between player/coach and player/player, etc, not between player/school. School can help - facilities, academics, support staff, etc. but the best recruiters are the best recruiters bc of relationships and results.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back