'21 NC DE Isaac Washington

UT has recruited well for 50+ years due to the great facilities, great campus, and the best fan base in the country. It hasn't mattered if the SEC was up or down at the time. A strong SEC has helped teams like KY, USCJr, AtM, etc over the last few years much more than it has helped UT. UT will recruit well no matter the conference status as long as the fan base stays as strong as it is now.

It absolutely matters. There is literally a quote in this thread where a recruit states he wants to play in the SEC because it's the best. He's far from the only one. There are countless players every cycle who want to play in the SEC because it's the best. If every other team falters and the SEC becomes the Big12 or the PAC, see where recruiting goes, especially when you aren't the top team in the conference (newsflash: we aren't).

Last edited:
It absolutely matters. There is literally a quote in this thread where a recruit states he wants to play in the SEC because it's the best. He's far from the only one. There are countless players every cycle who want to play in yh SEC because it's the best. If every other team falters and the SEC becomes the Big12 or the PAC, see where recruiting goes, especially when you aren't the top team in the conference (newsflash: we aren't).
Could not disagree more. TN will recruit well no matter the conference status. Big difference would be that when TN's class finishes top 10, they would not finish 6th or 7th in the SEC, they would be top 3.

Could not disagree more. TN will recruit well no matter the conference status. Big difference would be that when TN's class finishes top 10, they would not finish 6th or 7th in the SEC, they would be top 3.

I think you're wrong, but you're welcome to your opinion. When a recruit says he'd commit to Tennessee even if they were in the Sun Belt, I'll agree with you. Until then, I'll believe the countless quotes about playing in the SEC cause it's the premier conference in the country.

Reactions: Golf freak
Mount Airy, too.

I've seen Isaac multiple times, which is sort of easy for me because I'm the sports editor of the local paper here. His high school team was loaded. As others have mentioned, they had a number of D1 prospects on the offense, who all went to UNC or NC State. East Surry went 15-0 and won the 1AA state championship this year (and beat the now two-time 2A state champion during the regular season). These guys--Washington, Jefferson Boaz, and Stephen Gosnell--could play for anybody. And two of their other receivers are PWO's at those schools and I wouldn't be surprised if they make it as well.

Anyway, the guy is a beast. He was already outstanding as a sophomore and turned it up a notch this season. Probably projects as an edge rusher in college and that's sort of what he indicated when he was interviewed after his commitment. There's plenty of video of him online; East Surry is very good about filming its players and promoting them.

I'm lucky enough to run into D1 prospects every once in a while at the places I work. I had Johnny Frasier at Princeton a few years ago, and Donavon Greene of Mount Airy (now at Wake) after I came here. Johnny didn't do much in college, but Donavon's already been on an ESPN highlight as a freshman.
Donovan Greene should have been a 4 star if not a 5. Unreal athletic ability and a lot of teams missed on him. Same thing with Boaz, he was incredible this season and can make all the throws. Tarboro will verify

Unless they are measuring the top of his 'dreds' then this cat is not 6'3. He's looking eye to eye with Ansley in that first page twitter pic.

NONETHELESS.. Good for this kid. I hope he sticks.

Donovan Greene should have been a 4 star if not a 5. Unreal athletic ability and a lot of teams missed on him. Same thing with Boaz, he was incredible this season and can make all the throws. Tarboro will verify
Pruitt and co are usually good but they were dumb to not go after Howell and Greene. Greene got wide open for TDs in the bowl game and the WF QBs couldn’t hit him. Gonna be a great one

He was a force on the East Surry defensive line, which held opponents to two touchdowns or less in 12 of its 15 games last season, culminating in an NCHSAA Class 1-AA title. Washington compiled 105 tackles — 27 for losses — along with 21 quarterback hurries, on the way to the Cardinals' 56-28 victory over Tarboro. After the season, he was named defensive player of the year in the Northwest 1-A and was voted to the Journal's All-Northwest football team — one of five players from East Surry.

East Surry's Isaac Washington verbally commits to Tennessee

VN Store

Back