'21 NC DE Isaac Washington

Steve Wiltfong, 247Sports’ director of recruiting, said there’s plenty to like about the 6-foot-3, 268-pound Washington, who recommitted to the Vols a little more than two weeks after he reopened his recruitment on Feb. 19.

“He’s a good pickup for them,” Wiltfong said of Washington, who’s ranked the No. 37 defensive tackle in the 2021 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“Within Tennessee’s defense, this is a guy that has that body type to play (defensive) end in the 34 front. I mean, he was a factor behind the line of scrimmage as a junior. He had, like, 27 tackles for loss, so he’s a presence.”

Washington chose Tennessee over offers from Auburn, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Virginia Tech.

During his junior season at East Surry, he piled up 105 tackles, including 27 tackles for loss, along with 14 sacks and one fumble recovery. He also was credited with 21 quarterback hurries.

His large frame and skill set already have helped him land offers from several major programs. Wiltfong said he still could show plenty more improvement, too, as he adds more weight to his large frame and continues to develop athletically.

“He’s a big, good-looking kid that’s good with his hands,” Wiltfong said of Washington. “He’s got a good motor. He’s a high-motor guy with all the traits to develop into a good one as he adds quickness and even more strength to his game.”

“Within Tennessee’s defense, this is a guy that has that body type to play (defensive) end in the 34 front.”-247
My next question. Seems like we are sacrificing a little bit of size for a little more quickness around the edge. I know they want more than they got from the d-line so they don’t have to be forced to use overload blitzes all the time.

My next question. Seems like we are sacrificing a little bit of size for a little more quickness around the edge. I know they want more than they got from the d-line so they don’t have to be forced to use overload blitzes all the time.
Definitely better to take smaller HS kids (with frames to add more muscle) and mold them how you want, rather than taking massive kids you have to cut down. College s&c programs aren't really tuned for that. Smaller HS guys also more likely to have played multiple sports in HS, which is a big thing.

Definitely better to take smaller HS kids (with frames to add more muscle) and mold them how you want, rather than taking massive kids you have to cut down. College s&c programs aren't really tuned for that. Smaller HS guys also more likely to have played multiple sports in HS, which is a big thing.
Well, actually taking smaller kids along the lines is what got Butch Jones run out of town, and landed him a job as the coffee boy at another school.

Well, actually taking smaller kids along the lines is what got Butch Jones run out of town, and landed him a job as the coffee boy at another school.
There’s a difference between a 270 pound HS DE and a LT who weighs 250 three months into a college S&C program. I was talking about getting Mt. Cody vs. Derek Bennett (who lost weight when he got to Tennessee).

There’s a difference between a 270 pound HS DE and a LT who weighs 250 three months into a college S&C program. I was talking about getting Mt. Cody vs. Derek Bennett (who lost weight when he got to Tennessee).
I would say youd be hard pressed to find a program that has brought in more size along the lines over the last 2 classes than TN.

-Spraggins
-James Robinson
-Reggie Perry
-Elijah Simmons
-Omari Thomas
-Darnell Wright
-Wanya Morris
-Akpo
-Melvin Mcbride
-Calvert, Carvin (class before)
-Etc. Etc.

Last edited:
His strategy was to actually have smaller lines, even after he was finished with them.

I was only commenting on the size of prospects out of high school and what the research has shown. The guys that are absolutely massive with bad weight or just plain overweight are not optimal and come with a disadvantage.

Reactions: gainesvol82
His strategy was to actually have smaller lines, even after he was finished with them.

I was only commenting on the size of prospects out of high school and what the research has shown. The guys that are absolutely massive with bad weight or just plain overweight are not optimal and come with a disadvantage.
I'm talking about the size of prospects out of high school as well. Pruitt goes jumbo...there is no debating that.

Washington is the exception.

I would love to see the studies youre talking about. I am not trying to be a smartass or anything....i just have never heard of such a study.

Do you have a link?

The only study that I have seen showed that the best lines in college football were also the biggest, by far. So, it only stands to reason that they are also bigger coming out of high school, by and large.

I'm talking about the size of prospects out of high school as well. Pruitt goes jumbo...there is no debating that.

Washington is the exception.

I would love to see the studies youre talking about. I am not trying to be a smartass or anything....i just have never heard of such a study.

Do you have a link?

The only study that I have seen showed that the best lines in college football were also the biggest, by far. So, it only stands to reason that they are also bigger coming out of high school, by and large.
Nah it's been awhile, just read a couple articles on it over the years. One was by The Athletic about services universities used to scout players, verify track and other HS athletic results and grade kids on athletic factors. Another was by 247 and the correlators they found over time that were best for projecting getting drafted.

It really comes down to frames. College programs are built to and are great at adding good weight to good frames. Not built to shed bad weight, while adding muscle. And those overweight kids lose out on building a lot of valuable athletic skills earlier in life, while playing multiple sports, track & field, etc.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Nah it's been awhile, just read a couple articles on it over the years. One was by The Athletic about services universities used to scout players, verify track and other HS athletic results and grade kids on athletic factors. Another was by 247 and the correlators they found over time that were best for projecting getting drafted.

It really comes down to frames. College programs are built to and are great at adding good weight to good frames. Not built to shed bad weight, while adding muscle. And those overweight kids lose out on building a lot of valuable athletic skills earlier in life, while playing multiple sports, track & field, etc.
I dont think anybody is gonna argue that you dont want a kid with bad weight over a kid with good weight given the same frame. Thats pretty obvious.

The bigger the frame, the bigger the athlete, all else equal....thats all I'm saying.

Anyone have the Dumb and Dumber GIF, “just when you go out and do something like this, AND totally redeem yourself.”

All the uscjr fans that thought he’d follow rocker to their podunk refrigerator college can suck it.

Reactions: PA Vol
Washington was let know by Ansley and Pruitt how much they wanted him after he decommitted. They want him badly and he’s going to rise in the rankings. LSU, Auburn, Bama etc. have all been in contact. Pruitt loves him as a 3-4 DE that will be athletic at 310 pound range. They love his reach as well. Washington decommitted only because Rocker left and other schools got in his ear. Pruitt and Ansley overcame that. The kid loves UT

Got it now with the 310-pound thing. Thought he was groomed to be an end, but I wondered if he was going to be a little lighter.

Got it now with the 310-pound thing. Thought he was groomed to be an end, but I wondered if he was going to be a little lighter.
He will play a down end. Then slide inside some on passing situations to get more speed on the field. They like his versatility

Reactions: bpvol

VN Store

Back