'21 NC ATH Kaemen Marley (Tennessee signee)

We still would need eligible players hit the portal to sign more than 25.
I’m wondering if there’s an ability to backcount from last year since they opened up the transfers but there was no count rule plus the 25. I’m betting there’s all sorts of loop holes out there like that causing each AD to hire a lawyer to understand the fine print.

Reactions: HeadVol77
We have like five or six at least if I’m not mistaken?

Entering the portal reduces your total counters, but does not earn one of those 7 POTENTIAL extra portal replacements. They have to be academically eligible and on schollie at a D1 school to get extra new guys above the 25 initial counters. The NCAA is not going to reward you for academic casualties or guys you run off who enter the portal but do not successfully exit the portal.

Reactions: SuzyVol
Entering the portal reduces your total counters, but does not earn one of those 7 POTENTIAL extra portal replacements. They have to be academically eligible and on schollie at a D1 school to get extra new guys above the 25 initial counters. The NCAA is not going to reward you for academic casualties or guys you run off who enter the portal but do not successfully exit the portal.
So that probably means we get/will get spots for Bailey, Evans, Joseph….. although potential academic issues with Evans and Joseph…. Although, I bet they did just enough to stay eligible…. That would get us up to the 28 number.

Reactions: Devo182
So that probably means we get/will get spots for Bailey, Evans, Joseph….. although potential academic issues with Evans and Joseph…. Although, I bet they did just enough to stay eligible…. That would get us up to the 28 number.
We don't get spots for any of those guys according to the rules for the additional 7 spots. Players that qualify for the additional seven can't enter the portal before Dec 15th, or the end of the fall semester (whichever comes first).

Reactions: VFLBerg
We don't get spots for any of those guys according to the rules for the additional 7 spots. Players that qualify for the additional seven can't enter the portal before Dec 15th, or the end of the fall semester (whichever comes first).
Someone posted that was incorrect info…. That as long as they stayed and finished the semester at Tennessee and transfer academically eligible then we get credit for it but I wouldn’t bet my life on it.

Someone posted that was incorrect info…. That as long as they stayed and finished the semester at Tennessee and transfer academically eligible then we get credit for it but I wouldn’t bet my life on it.

From my understanding any player who transfers this semester still has to finish out the semester in order to be academically eligible to play next year. So all of our players who transferred still has to complete their coursework with UT thru the semester which falls in line with the rule.

Now somebody else mentioned that the players who transfer have to be accepted at another university and be on scholarship in order for the previous school to count up to the additional 7 spots. I'm not sure how accurate that it though.

What I stated earlier is how the rule is written, but who knows for sure until the dust settles on this first class officially. I don't envy the jobs of coaches and compliance offices.

Last edited:

We can for sure hope so for most of our guys, and if I am reading things right Maurer and Hodge seem to be headed to a couple of FCS schools but are still D1 and we might get them too... but they have to get there officially while guys we would want are still in the portal. But we first must have room under the 85. The other potential help is MAYBE we can get a few this method and HOLD OVER some of our 25 INITIAL counters for next year if that is still allowed. That offers more flexibility in that you can sign HS JUCO and transfers with those. Not sure how to project our roster losses next year, planned and other wise. I am guessing we will see several more surprises hitting the door or portal soon. The extra covid year has gummed up things for lots of schools.

Reactions: SuzyVol
Frees up a roster spot, but doesn't sound like it will allow for an extra portal spot.

Could be how they get a few PWOs scholarships. I know there has been talk Navy might be a PWO, he could pay for this Spring semester and they award him a scholarship in the fall.

Could be how they get a few PWOs scholarships. I know there has been talk Navy might be a PWO, he could pay for this Spring semester and they award him a scholarship in the fall.
With the depleted numbers, I doubt they'll be awarding many scholarships to PWOs unless make third string or better on the depth chart. Navy may fall into that category after fall camp, but It's likely that Tayven Jackson will be getting the reps at QB3.

With the depleted numbers, I doubt they'll be awarding many scholarships to PWOs unless make third string or better on the depth chart. Navy may fall into that category after fall camp, but It's likely that Tayven Jackson will be getting the reps at QB3.

Why wouldn't they though?

You get limited per year scholarships, and lots of restrictions on getting more back from transfers....so it'd make more sense to bring over some PWOs who could be scholarship guys and wait until the dust settles and use those scholarships in the Fall.

PWO scholarships I believe are also only per semester, so it's not like burning one very long. I actually think Navy coming on board means Tayven will likely RS this season.

What I stated earlier is how the rule is written, but who knows for sure until the dust settles on this first class officially. I don't envy the jobs of coaches and compliance offices.

If that’s how it’s stated, it makes no sense. A player can enter the portal and come back to their original school at some point. So, merely entering the portal means nothing. I would guess it is when they officially join their new school and as long as they completed their school work.

Walk ons have to be in program for a full year before they can be awarded a scholarship

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
If that’s how it’s stated, it makes no sense. A player can enter the portal and come back to their original school at some point. So, merely entering the portal means nothing. I would guess it is when they officially join their new school and as long as they completed their school work.
Original school does not have to accept them back. Original school has them off books when semester ends.

Why wouldn't they though?

You get limited per year scholarships, and lots of restrictions on getting more back from transfers....so it'd make more sense to bring over some PWOs who could be scholarship guys and wait until the dust settles and use those scholarships in the Fall.

PWO scholarships I believe are also only per semester, so it's not like burning one very long. I actually think Navy coming on board means Tayven will likely RS this season.
Jackson may red shirt, but it will not be because of Navy. I hope Navy does well, but he did not perform well at App State.

Reactions: #1GatorHater
Even still, the timing of entering the portal itself should not be the significant factor in getting another scholarship.
It is the start of each semester that is primary factor in scholarship numbers.

Jackson may red shirt, but it will not be because of Navy. I hope Navy does well, but he did not perform well at App State.

In no way am I saying or implying Navy will beat out Jackson for the QB3 role. Just saying that if you have the depth at the position you try and RS the incoming Freshmen QB if ya can. Navy = depth

It is the start of each semester that is primary factor in scholarship numbers.

I get that, but I still don’t see how that makes sense.

A team has 10 guys enter the portal prior to December but all go to a new school in January. At this point, the original school knows it’s not taking the players back. They have 1 enter after the end of the semester, and they can get that 1 back. They are down 10 spots because of that? Of course, it does depend on how many they can take in the recruiting class, so it may not quite be 10 spots. But at a school like UT is now, it could be almost 10 spots.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back