NBA - NCAA espn Broadcast team switch

TMHoosierVol

Thread Assassin
Tuesday night is when ESPN flip-flops their broadcast teams for NBA and NCAABB coverage. Does anybody know which NBA announcers will be calling our game?
I'm looking forward to what the NBA announcers have to say about UT and how they play the game. A fresh perspective will be enjoyable, like getting a NBA scouting report for the entire game.

It won't matter . . . ESPN hates VOL Nation!!

In all seriousness, ESPN maintained a game going into OT rather than switch to the #1 ranked UT game last week . . . Tuesday, ESPN has UT on ESPN2 while carrying Dukie-Do on ESPN at 8 . . . .

GBO

I understand some of VN's sentiment towards ESPN for discounting our hoops team but to think they're going to jump from a game in overtime to start the TN game against an 8-11 TX a&m is a bit of an overreaction.

I think they would of done the same to any blue blood basketball program. They should have started the game on ESPNnews or something though.

Tuesday night is when ESPN flip-flops their broadcast teams for NBA and NCAABB coverage. Does anybody know which NBA announcers will be calling our game?
I'm looking forward to what the NBA announcers have to say about UT and how they play the game. A fresh perspective will be enjoyable, like getting a NBA scouting report for the entire game.
There’s no switch for UT’s game.

Reactions: BigOrangeArsenal
ESPN just answered my question about NBA analyst coverage. Surprise, the two games they're covering are Duke/BC and Kansas/ KS. My apologies for starting this thread. ESPN F***s it up again.

ESPN just answered my question about NBA analyst coverage. Surprise, the two games they're covering are Duke/BC and Kansas/ KS. My apologies for starting this thread. ESPN F***s it up again.
There’s no switch for UT’s game.
You're right, I just found that out. Good ol' ESPN.

In all seriousness, ESPN maintained a game going into OT rather than switch to the #1 ranked UT game last week . . . Tuesday, ESPN has UT on ESPN2 while carrying Dukie-Do on ESPN at 8 . . . .

GBO

I don't recall any games switching off before the previous game was over in a very long time.

Just the bad luck of the schedule

Reactions: Big time vol

It is an interesting concept. I would love to hear knowledgeable discussions about how the game is called differently, what moves will and won't work at the next level, etc. But ultimately, the product depends on how much integrity each announcer puts into prep.

Easy prep would be to collect 3 NBA scouting reports on any players they'll be covering, then spend the game "calling" what they've anticipated seeing from those reports.

Then, whichever non-prospect is having a good night becomes the "surprise darling" of the telecast, with comments like "Whoa! Maybe the scouts need to take a closer look at ______, huh Bob?"

I'm not dissing ESPN's announcers. I'm just aware that the network has cut back severely, and they're demanding much more from fewer personnel. Makes it harder for anyone to do exceptional work. I'm sure most of us have experienced that in some job before.

Reactions: Vol49er

You're right, I just found that out. Good ol' ESPN.
I don’t have a problem with the two games they picked. Definitely would’ve liked to see UT get a game but it what it is. Won’t matter if we’re cutting down nets in April.

Of course. A Duke game and one rivalry, just to throw off the scent. Reppin' Duke 'til it hurts.

I don't recall any games switching off before the previous game was over in a very long time.

Except that I believe the WV game was switched to start the Duke/Virginia game the week before. That's what gets me. I understand finishing the game before, but they basically did the opposite for us.

Reactions: zansdad and Kinger

A lot of times ESPN will move the game to ESPN 2 or ESPN News for the start of the next game . . . they instead started the UT game on an alternate station until the OT game completed . . .

GBO

I heard they have asked Penny Hardaway to give color comentary,due to his love for UT and Rick Barnes!!!UT-ChrisLofton  T.jpg

Reactions: VFL17
I understand some of VN's sentiment towards ESPN for discounting our hoops team but to think they're going to jump from a game in overtime to start the TN game against an 8-11 TX a&m is a bit of an overreaction.

I think they would of done the same to any blue blood basketball program. They should have started the game on ESPNnews or something though.

Exactly this. ESPN screwed up by not starting the TN-A&M game on ESPN News like they normally do. Almost every time a game runs long, the next game begins on ESPN News. This time they didn't choose to do that.

At least we don't have to hear him call any of our players diaper dandies.
Is Vitale the ultimate case of the internet not equaling real life, or the other CBB fans you happen to know know not equaling real life?

Seemingly everyone on social media and CBB fans I know can't stand the guy, yet he's been a staple on ESPN's CBB coverage for years. Every game he calls involves a top team. Does he still have just a big appeal to the casual fan (of which I am one) that I just don't see?

Maybe it's the same deal with Stephen A/Kellerman/Skip Bayless. Social media routinely pans them, and nobody I know watches their shows or is interested in their opinions, yet there they are.

I think they would of done the same to any blue blood basketball program. They should have started the game on ESPN news or something though.

With the majority of TV's being 40" or larger why not use a split screen until first game is over?

Except that I believe the WV game was switched to start the Duke/Virginia game the week before. That's what gets me. I understand finishing the game before, but they basically did the opposite for us.

If the WV game had been close, they would have stayed. But we were running away with it.

And if Michigan St. had been beating IU like a drum, they would have switched.

Reactions: TC 83 and JohnD13

GBO
That's how it works. I can't believe people are still butthurt over that.

Reactions: TC 83
Normally announcers are 2 guys who want TN to Lose, if they change it will be 2 guys who want TN to Lose!?!?!

6853b696cbe0657b6a72acd62fd93062.gif

As long as Dick Vitale isn't involved it will be a vast improvement.

actually, I respect the man and what he does for college basketball and his charities, but I've never been able to get used to his voice...nails on a blackboard to me...and,

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Reactions: GlockVol
actually, I respect the man and what he does for college basketball and his charities, but I've never been able to get used to his voice...nails on a blackboard to me...and,

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

I understand what you are saying. I can't get past his constant babbling tho, kind of like Howard Cosell in the old days

VN Store

Back