Navy signed 86 players

Wormwood

Mind boggling especially considering the 85 scholly limit. The academies are always very high (Army signed 66) but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone sign more in 1 class than the NCAA even allows you to have on the team. Boss moves by Navy.

Reactions: LittleVol
Mind boggling especially considering the 85 scholly limit. The academies are always very high (Army signed 66) but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone sign more in 1 class than the NCAA even allows you to have on the team. Boss moves by Navy.
They don’t need football scholarships.

There’s no scholarships. To go to any of the academies you have to pass your PT stuff and academics obviously, then you have to have either a senatorial or congressional recommendation to the academy one is attempting to attend. In Tennesse, i interviewed with John Duncan, Frist and Alexander. They’re only allowed to give 5 recommendations a year to an academy. If you get the recommendation (or 3 in my case 😉) and met requirements for everything else, and pass Dept of Defense Medical, you’re in. So no scholarship. It’s like pass/fail

There’s no scholarships. To go to any of the academies you have to pass your PT stuff and academics obviously, then you have to have either a senatorial or congressional recommendation to the academy one is attempting to attend. In Tennesse, i interviewed with John Duncan, Frist and Alexander. They’re only allowed to give 5 recommendations a year to an academy. If you get the recommendation (or 3 in my case 😉) and met requirements for everything else, and pass Dept of Defense Medical, you’re in. So no scholarship. It’s like pass/fail

And admission rates are sub 10%. My cousin graduated from the Air Force Academy. I believe admission was 7% IIRC.

"Strictly speaking, there are no athletic scholarships at the service academies. Every student at Army, Navy, and Air Force is on scholarship. Athletes get considerations in the nomination and admission process, but there is no financial aid earmarked for athletics. The scholarship that an athlete receives at a service academy is no different than the scholarship of every other midshipman or cadet. "

And:

The most important ramification from a fan’s perspective is that, because the NCAA regulates athletic financial aid, and because there is no athletic financial aid at the service academies, the NCAA’s scholarship limits don’t apply. Football Bowl Subdivision rosters are limited to 85 scholarships and 25 per recruiting class, but service academy classes are typically much larger. This is also why service academy players are allowed to receive a salary. They aren’t paid as a benefit for participating in athletics; they are paid because every academy student is paid according to his or her rank.

TheMidReport - Understanding Service Academy Recruiting

They send almost 40 if not more to the prep school in Rhode Island. Army has a prep school as well. I went to the prep school a while back and walked on to the team. Half of the kids dont even make it to the Academy. They either can't academically or just leave on their own because its not for them.

This string is absolute stupidity. There are a number of pathways to the academies. There are Congressional appointments, appointments from certain military schools that have qualified as "honor academies" (3 per academy per school), appointments from enlisted personnel that apply and pass a highly competitive screening, and by direct application (which does cover athletic recruits who still must pass academic requirements significantly more stringent than those of the NCAA). Finally, there are Presidential appointments which are traditionally reserved for children of winners of the Congressional Medal of Honor (which is typically awarded posthumously).

Every cadet or midshipman must still complete plebe summer which is a brutal experience, even those that are athletic recruits. During the academic year they are "on duty" 24/7.

The education is "free" but there is the service commitment upon graduation (Trump says he is waiving that for players drafted by a professional league but the professional leadership is opposing that). While at the academies the cadets/midshipmen are paid at the base rate of an E-5 (a staff sergeant in the army).

They must attend the academy during the academic year and then spend their summers on various service activities such as cruises on combat ships or service in a training environment. There are no summers off.

If an academy student is arrested or is found guilty of cheating he will be immediately dismissed from the academy. They live by a stringent honor code.

To say the academies can give 80 football scholarships is complete nonsense. Any cadet/midshipman can participate in any sport. Whether he/she gets to play on the intercollegiate level is a question of talent. They do have intramural sports. But it's much more than what a student at a regular college experiences.

And when they graduate they get to put their lives at risk to defend your freedom. Don't denigrate their service.

Like what?
Additional coaching staff, can receive waivers of the 5 year eligibility rule, additional evaluation days, exempt from the medical screening examination restrictions, allowing additional summer athletic activities, changes to the recruiting calendar to account for their schedules, exception to the limits on participants in preseason practice in football, exception to the acclimatization period, additional discretionary time related to out-of-season activities, exception to limits on foreign tours, exceptions to financial aid requirements. Plus there's a section (13.16) in the recruiting chapter of exceptions and waivers which cover timing, contact restrictions, evaluation days, and allowing assistance in obtaining preparatory education.

Nothing that really gives them an advantage but stuff that accommodates the unique nature of the academies and their requirements of students.

Way too many “ummm technically speaking!!” nerds in here. Just pointing out how funny it is scrolling down team rankings and seeing “23, 25, 25, 21.....86”

86 kids “signed” to play football at Navy. No matter how that works or is defined, it’s intriguing. Nerds.

Reactions: RollerVol

Few people understand what it takes to "get in" one of the academies. You have my profound respect. BTW, which academy?

Last edited:
Reactions: you
Navy loses a lot of players after their sophomore year. After 2 years, a Navy player is on the hook to serve 5 years in Navy after graduating.

Reactions: you
Navy is my second favorite team behind the Vols. I was recruited and ran Track and Cross Country there 4 years from 89-93. Our football team was awful at that time and my first year we won only one game which is the only game Plebes cared about (Bear Army) which meant the upperclass left us alone til winter break.

We had a darn good distance program there led by a coach who coached there 55 years and just retired. My last year we were top 10 in Cross Country Div1

I do think maybe some things have changed for football for height/weight standards because those players today look a lot bigger than when I was there.

Good for them. They should be allowed to

Additional coaching staff, can receive waivers of the 5 year eligibility rule, additional evaluation days, exempt from the medical screening examination restrictions, allowing additional summer athletic activities, changes to the recruiting calendar to account for their schedules, exception to the limits on participants in preseason practice in football, exception to the acclimatization period, additional discretionary time related to out-of-season activities, exception to limits on foreign tours, exceptions to financial aid requirements. Plus there's a section (13.16) in the recruiting chapter of exceptions and waivers which cover timing, contact restrictions, evaluation days, and allowing assistance in obtaining preparatory education.

Nothing that really gives them an advantage but stuff that accommodates the unique nature of the academies and their requirements of students.
Good... if anyone in NCAA should be paid it should start with these military schools.

Reactions: njvols

VN Store

Back