NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP COACHES

rockydoc

I was wondering while pondering the futures of Phil Fulmer, Loyd Carr, Larry Coker etc. if any coaches in the last,say, thirty years had been dismissed by the team that they won their NC at? The names that come to mind are Gene Stalling (a polite "would you mind leaving now" firing) and Woody Hayes(more for his temper than his coaching performance).

This is not a Fire-Phil-Thread, so all the kamakazie bomb laded sheep trolling this board can get back in the pen and rest the dead horse icon for a latter day!! :cool:

I'd say Lou Holtz was probably at least slightly encouraged to leave Notre Dame.

(GAVol @ Jan 6 said:
I'd say Lou Holtz was probably at least slightly encouraged to leave Notre Dame.
Oh, I forgot about Majors at Pitt (his second tenure). I don't guess this counts. Also, I may be wrong on this, but didn't Paul Dietsel return to LSU for a second stent and subsequent get fired when he couldn't recapture the majic. Same for John Robinson at USC?

I don't know about Dietzel, but I think you're right; Robinson was probably ushered into retirement by USC. You've also got Spurrier in a category by himself as the only guy to win a National title and then amazingly not get welcomed back with open arms.

Gators were still pissed that they got stuck with Zook after Stevo headed fro the pros.

(GAVol @ Jan 6 said:
I don't know about Dietzel, but I think you're right; Robinson was probably ushered into retirement by USC. You've also got Spurrier in a category by himself as the only guy to win a National title and then amazingly not get welcomed back with open arms.
Lawgator would call this a "defacto firing"

I think you're right . . . and that reminds me that Danny Ford was pretty much forced to resign at Clemson just after it was announced that the NCAA was closing in on them for recruiting violations.

(GAVol @ Jan 6 said:

i thought they wanted him but he said florida needed a long term coach.

That was his spin after the fact. Mainly, I think he got sideways with the AD when he was told that he would have to interview for the job just like everyone else. Florida pretty much slapped him in the face.

VN Store

Back