Nat’l Championship Thread

When Bueckers dresses out for a game, she's ALL SERIOUS BALLPLAYER and it shows. She can obviously pull off looking absolutely model-beautiful with makeup and glam as she appears in the clip above, but she ain't giving any of that a thought when it's time to play ball.

So can Stephanie Dolson.

Tennessee might break in the top 5 but definitely top 10.

If all goes as hoped, Tennessee should hover in the 5 to 10 area all season, IMO. I wouldn't expect them to break into the top 5, but I suppose crazier things have happened. I'm already jonesing for next season's schedule to see how Kellie intends to have it play out. I was a fan of this season's approach. If the major injuries hadn't happened, and if we'd gotten to play the entire season how the staff planned, that back-loading of the toughest opponents wouldn't have been as big a problem as it turned out to be. And we do NOT lose to Auburn, Alabama or Florida, for sure.

The biggest question mark for the SEC is seeing what Mulkey is going to pull together out of the portal.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Uconn was never going to win this game point blank mainly because ONO AND EDWARDS had to hve a great game like play a big girl game today otherwise it was going to be immense pressure put on those three guards...this is by far the softest uconn in awhile and it shwed they contained paige and it was a wrap....just a bad matchup for uconn

Reactions: Rooster1
If all goes as hoped, Tennessee should hover in the 5 to 10 area all season, IMO. I wouldn't expect them to break into the top 5, but I suppose crazier things have happened. I'm already jonesing for next season's schedule to see how Kellie intends to have it play out. I was a fan of this season's approach. If the major injuries hadn't happened, and if we'd gotten to play the entire season how the staff planned, that back-loading of the toughest opponents wouldn't have been as big a problem as it turned out to be. And we do NOT lose to Auburn, Alabama or Florida, for sure.

The biggest question mark for the SEC is seeing what Mulkey is going to pull together out of the portal.

They just posted Tennessee at #8 on the ESPN to early top 25 poll.

Reactions: lvocd
I sure hope she wasn't slingin' COVID out there tonight. At this point, it really did seem a bit iffy to play a kid who'd been hurling all day. Maybe it's just me who thinks that way, I don't know. 😷
Agree. Also, don’t think Fudd was ready for prime time, sick or not. Her time is coming, but not tonight.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
I sure hope she wasn't slingin' COVID out there tonight. At this point, it really did seem a bit iffy to play a kid who'd been hurling all day. Maybe it's just me who thinks that way, I don't know. 😷
Hmmm. I seem to remember during the height of covid this year a player (Arkansas maybe) hurling into a bucket during a game and went back in. It happens, I suppose...bad timing today, though.

Just asking a question. Guess you don't have a real answer though.

I really don't want to speculate. I would be shock if SC doesn't lose a couple. I doubt if any from the 2019 class will transfer. Amihere will probably move in to the starting lineup her senior year.

Last edited:
I know one thing Boston has to get a statue too it's only right

Wasn't one of the main reasons Aja got a statue because she is actually from South Carolina, and having turned down far more prominent programs (at that time) to stay home and help her state school get a championship? Boston has been amazing, but in all fairness to Wilson, Aliyah came AFTER South Carolina was an established "cool destination," unlike Aja.

Hmmm. I seem to remember during the height of covid this year a player (Arkansas maybe) hurling into a bucket during a game and went back in. It happens, I suppose...bad timing today, though.

And I thought THEN, "Boy, I sure hope she's not out there slingin' COVID!" This is not a Connecticut-specific concern for me. Until the pandemic is over, IF it ever is, anytime I hear the phrase "something has been going around on the team this week" like I heard tonight, my first thought is possible COVID.

The pandemic is not over.

Are teams even required to test regularly anymore? If not, how can anyone be sure it's NOT Covid if someone or several get sick?

Also, I can't remember the last time I heard Auriemma speak that he didn't sound hoarse and/or congested. Makes me wonder if he's a long Covid sufferer.

I just had a memory. Didn't CONNECTICUT have a player -- Ducharme, maybe? -- hurl in a bucket during a game this year, too? That same day Auriemma was out sick.

Last edited:
Wasn't one of the main reasons Aja got a statue because she is actually from South Carolina, and having turned down far more prominent programs (at that time) to stay home and help her state school get a championship? Boston has been amazing, but in all fairness to Wilson, Aliyah came AFTER South Carolina was an established "cool destination," unlike Aja.
A'ja was elated tonight because she NEVER beat UConn. Happy for SC players, it was a great game, but still can't stand her or Dawn.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
And I thought THEN, "Boy, I sure hope she's not out there slingin' COVID!" This is not a Connecticut-specific concern for me. Until the pandemic is over, IF it ever is, anytime I hear the phrase "something has been going around on the team this week" like I heard tonight, my first thought is possible COVID.

The pandemic is not over.

Are teams even required to test regularly anymore? If not, how can anyone be sure it's NOT Covid if someone or several get sick?

Also, I can't remember the last time I heard Auriemma speak that he didn't sound hoarse and/or congested. Makes me wonder if he's a long Covid sufferer.

I just had a memory. Didn't CONNECTICUT have a player -- Ducharme, maybe? -- hurl in a bucket during a game this year, too? That same day Auriemma was out sick.

Yes, she did, after she sustained a head injury. Had nothing to do with being "sick"

Reactions: lvocd
Yup, after learning this, I’d rather UCONN to win, can’t believe I said that. So disrespectful to still not show respect for the anthem. These so called basketball games, wouldn’t even be possible if it weren’t for those who fought for the freedom and privilege to play college basketball.
Fought for EVERYONE'S individual freedoms. Why is this so hard to comprehend ?!

Reactions: Lucy
Or 1-4 free throws vs 17-26. UConn actually won the scoring game percentage war, even at the 3 point line. Hard to beat the refs.

They tied the ref's hands: When your team's #1 free throw attempter on a season takes only two (2) field goal attempts and pulls down only 2 rebounds all game long.........when your team's #2 free throw attempter on a season is out with a wrist injury.......when your team's #3 free throw attempter on a season where they also normally lead the team in drives to the basket, goes 1-8 and is almost invisible all game long.....when your team's #4 free throw attempter on a season does take 10 attempts in 18 minutes, but they are mostly perimeter jumpers due to her dealing with some sort of injury all game long.....well, you're probably going to see that team get dominated on the boards and in the paint all game long, and have a pretty off game in terms of getting fouled and going to the free throw line.

Connecticut is typically a team that does not gather fouls in any typical scenario, anyways. They don't foul, and they don't get fouled. Luigi likes smooth, free-flowing motion offense where everyone is moving, cutting, driving, and passing. Not much banging and battling in the paint. As such, CT was something like 178th nationally this past season in free throw attempts, with under 500 total attempts, while South Carolina was 5th with 700+ attempts. South Carolina played 1 more game this season than CT did.

So, you run an offense that typically does NOT generate fouls and free throws, you do NOT present much of a contest for the rebounds or points in the paint, and the vast majority of your scoring comes from perimeter jump shots.

And it surprises you that there is a vast disparity in rebounds, fouls, and free-throw attempts? Really??

VN Store

Back