Napier waiting for the perfect storm

Because we’re not hiring him to be OC.
Being a good player caller isn’t near the top of qualities or experience I’d care about for a HC.
You don’t have to look too far from Elliott to see a successful coach that wasn’t even a coordinator.

Fair, but you and I both know that most have been. So, with that argument, what else qualifies him?

Anybody (Chad Morris) looks really good associated with that team.

Not saying I wouldn’t support him...just having a hard time getting excited about it.

I got a feeling Danny White is going to make an underwhelming hire at UT and will spend the next 3 year hoping and praying it works out. You need a HC that can adjust, be flexible, and able to use what he has. Since Elliot is light on experience I can see him trying to force his system on the players and it not working because we don't have the 5 star talent he's use to having.

Bound to fail . There's just no hope. Let's just not hire a coach

Reactions: smokeytime
I know, it's another Saban guy. But who isn't anymore? My 1 and 2 would be Freeze and Kiffin. Beyond that, with the names we're seeing and probably have a real shot at... It's almost a toss up. Between Napier, Campbell, Fleck, Dykes, and Elliott. Which are all good candidates outside of Eliot and Dykes. Id put Napier and Campbell at 3 a/b.

Here's a good read on Napier. Maybe it's Tennessee he's waiting on?

Why Billy Napier keeps passing up Power 5 jobs
I would take Fleck over Kiffin

No he isn’t a Kiffin guy just worked for him until he could get his own gig. If Kiffin had a defense he would have because it took Bama 50+ to beat Ole Miss.
Saban rejuvenated Kiffin's career. Kiffin has admitted to that many times. And even calls Saban his mentor.

I have no idea what White's list looks like, but you have to have fallback plans during a search process. He needs to get the best guy that will come, and that COULD be more limited than we would like due to the NCAA uncertainty. You can't sell championships to players if you are not eligible to compete. I would bet he is not looking for a two step plan, but has to accept that may come into play depending on the reception he gets by his targets. A down the list hire or an interim may end up being the best ANYONE can do here right now. Judging White's competence based on speculation on candidates is a fool's errand. Go count how many of those are going on. Sad.
I really don’t think White has what I would call a list. I think he knows who he wants.....I think he knew as soon as he accepted the job here. I don’t know how long all this was in the works.....may be longer than what we might think. I truly believe he has one or 2 guys that he would want as head coach here. He’s going to do what it takes to get one of them here.

Like he cares about volnation fury. He will hire who he sees that fits and by his history, he selects winners everywhere. Trust him.... not volnation.

I'm not certain of The New ADs ability to hire the right coach. But, I am certain that VolNation as a collective is a combination of serious mental conditions. I'll take my chances w White in this one.

I really don’t think White has what I would call a list. I think he knows who he wants.....I think he knew as soon as he accepted the job here. I don’t know how long all this was in the works.....may be longer than what we might think. I truly believe he has one or 2 guys that he would want as head coach here. He’s going to do what it takes to get one of them here.

I hope you are right. I bet he has the group you referenced, but our situation with the NCAA may give them pause when under normal conditions they could be sold. Just really fearful of the inability to answer some key questions that only the NCAA can.

I hope you are right. I bet he has the group you referenced, but our situation with the NCAA may give them pause when under normal conditions they could be sold. Just really fearful of the inability to answer some key questions that only the NCAA can.
That’s true. It was reported that Fleck contacted recruits and told them he’s not coming to Knoxville.....and Tony Elliot has not even been contacted. So at this point I would put all my chips in on Matt Campbell. If it’s anybody else at this point I would be surprised.

VN Store

Back