Nancy Darsch

MsSportsGuy

I'm a little surprised nothing has been posted about her passing. She was a Lady Vols assistant under Pat in those early years and definitely helped get the program off the ground. Her leaving did open the door for Mickie and Holly to be hired and championships followed but it would be a shame to not recognize what Darsch brought to the program in the early years of Pat coaching.

She was only 68 and had Parkinsons. Sad that another pioneer was taken by such a terrible condition.

I'm a little surprised nothing has been posted about her passing. She was a Lady Vols assistant under Pat in those early years and definitely helped get the program off the ground. Her leaving did open the door for Mickie and Holly to be hired and championships followed but it would be a shame to not recognize what Darsch brought to the program in the early years of Pat coaching.

She was only 68 and had Parkinsons. Sad that another pioneer was taken by such a terrible condition.
She was recognized on UT Sports Website (Lady Vols Basketball page) as well as the Lady Vols FB and Twitter handles, just not here that I know of

She was recognized on UT Sports Website (Lady Vols Basketball page) as well as the Lady Vols FB and Twitter handles, just not here that I know of
Thank you for the info. I was referring to this site but appreciate you keeping me in the loop. I can’t say I was a fan back in those days but remember her coaching OSU and the Liberty.

This is the link to the announcement and also references Darsch’s remarkable accomplishments.

Former Summitt Assistant Nancy Darsch Passes Away - University of Tennessee Athletics

She (along with Kay Yow) assisted Summitt at the 1984 Olympics, too.

MsSportsGuy is correct that it deserves a designated thread here.
Yow is another great who didn't have the success that many did but was an incredible coach and teacher. She, Summitt, Conrad, Wendy Larry, Gunter, Hatchell, Stringer, Darsch and others were all part of an older guard who saw the game in its infancy and watched it grow. I still consider Tara to be part of that group but she would be the senior stateswoman in my opinion. It is definitely a different world now.

VN Store

Back