Nadal passes Federer

hUTch2002

Wait til next year!
Congratulations to Nadal on passing Federer with his 21st major title. In the end I think Djokovic ends up with the most but Nadal holds that title today. We’re seeing the end of the greatest era in tennis with Fed’s career ending soon and with Nadal and Djokovic in their last few years as well. Medvedev is obviously going to be towards the top of the game for years, barring injury, but who steps up to challenge him will be interesting to watch. Fed had no true challengers for a while until a 19-year-old Nadal won the French but I don’t think Medvedev will get the same with Nadal and Djokovic still playing. Fed has been my favorite of the big 3 but he’s objectively the 3rd best of them, as much as I wish he were best. Anyway, I didn’t see anything about it in the forum so I figured I’d represent.

Reactions: MAD
Congratulations to Nadal on passing Federer with his 21st major title. In the end I think Djokovic ends up with the most but Nadal holds that title today. We’re seeing the end of the greatest era in tennis with Fed’s career ending soon and with Nadal and Djokovic in their last few years as well. Medvedev is obviously going to be towards the top of the game for years, barring injury, but who steps up to challenge him will be interesting to watch. Fed had no true challengers for a while until a 19-year-old Nadal won the French but I don’t think Medvedev will get the same with Nadal and Djokovic still playing. Fed has been my favorite of the big 3 but he’s objectively the 3rd best of them, as much as I wish he were best. Anyway, I didn’t see anything about it in the forum so I figured I’d represent.

They may not be at the same caliber, but I enjoyed watching more back in the Connors, Borg, McEnroe days.

They may not be at the same caliber, but I enjoyed watching more back in the Connors, Borg, McEnroe days.
And then Sampras and Agassi of course. I think when all is said and done Djokovic will be the best ever. I wanted it to be Fed but he ran into Nadal.

Reactions: MAD
And then Sampras and Agassi of course. I think when all is said and done Djokovic will be the best ever. I wanted it to be Fed but he ran into Nadal.
I’m with you, have always been a big fan of Federer, but I agree it will definitely end up being Djokovic.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Caught the last 2 sets this morning. The 2019 US Open and today’s match were both fantastic matches between Nadal and Medvedev. Medvedev is my favorite player so really hated to see that ending. I can’t stand Nadal but he has relentlessness about him that is unmatched by almost any athlete in the world.

I’m with you, have always been a big fan of Federer, but I agree it will definitely end up being Djokovic.
Out of the Big 3, I like Djokovic the least.

Could you make a pretty convincing argument that Djokovic is the best all-around player of all-time already? Even if he didn't win another major?

He's only got one less major than Nadal, and Nadal's major total is very concentrated in the French Open (64% of the majors he has won). Djokovic meanwhile has won 57% of his majors on hard courts (Aussie + US) and a third of them on grass at Wimbledon, with a couple of French Opens thrown in for good measure.

Once Djokovic ties and passes Nadal's total, it would seem almost impossible at that point to say that he wasn't the greatest ever, with no qualifiers.

Last edited:
Reactions: hUTch2002
Out of the Big 3, I like Djokovic the least.
By far the whiniest. He used to be super soft mentally but I’ll give him credit for strengthening that part of his game. He will pass Nadal unless Nadal can notch at least 3-4 more.

I did enjoy seeing some of these young guns coming up so well at Wimbledon. Sinner has good game, as one example.

Could you make a pretty convincing argument that Djokovic is the best all-around player of all-time already? Even if he didn't win another major?

He's only got one less major than Nadal, and Nadal's major total is very concentrated in the French Open (64% of the majors he has won). Djokovic meanwhile has won 57% of his majors on hard courts (Aussie + US) and a third of them on grass at Wimbledon, with a couple of French Opens thrown in for good measure.

Once Djokovic ties and passes Nadal's total, it would seem almost impossible at that point to say that he wasn't the greatest ever, with no qualifiers.
You certainly could. Djokovic has more than 80 career wins at all 4 majors. Very impressive.

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back