My Thoughts on the Orange Bowl, After Sleeping on it

NighthawkVol

It just occurred to me this morning that that was the biggest postseason win for Tennessee since the 1999 Fiesta Bowl, both in terms of bowl prestige and quality of opponent. Second place would be the 2002 Citrus Bowl following the 01 season, but the Citrus isn't the Orange and that Michigan team wasn't this Clemson team.

My thoughts on the game:

-Someone posted a couple of weeks ago that an Orange Bowl win that results from Joe Milton playing well would provide the most optimism going into next year. I replied that an Orange Bowl win because the defense played well would make me even more optimistic for next year. We got both. That defense bent, but didn't break. They applied tremendous pressure. There are still back end concerns, but they're much better than last year and I think they'll be even better next season. Also...Banks called a really good game, based on down, distance, and game situation.

-Milton wasn't elite, but he was pretty darn good. The worst throw he made (IMO) was the 3rd down slant-in to an open Keyton that nosedived. And he had a few batted down, but other than that, he was spot on. Loved seeing him accurate on deep throws. Even the incomplete deep ball to Keyton was accurate and he gave his WR a chance. Remember, Hooker had some accuracy issues at the beginning of this year and I think Milton was actually more accurate last night than early-season (pre-Florida) Hooker. On top of that, he was doing it against one of the 3-4 best defenses Tennessee played all year (from a sheer personnel standpoint, I'd put them 2nd only to UGA) and he was doing it with the worst OLine protection this year, other than the Georgia game. That Clemson front is elite and they were really making life hell for our Oline.

-Not only did Milton do what he did with enormous pressure from the Clemson front, he did it without Hyatt and Tillman. That's impressive.

-Jaylen Wright looked like he took it to another level last night. I think he's decidedly better than Small now, especially since he's stopped fumbling. Wright runs with speed and power and he gets to the 2nd level quickly. He had a short run (maybe 4 yards) on which he got the edge, but when the play began, I thought it was a loss. Clemson had it defended to be a loss and his speed made something out of nothing.

-What else can you say about Aaron Beasley? He's gone from a subpar LB to a star. The most encouraging thing is, he's now playing pass defense well. He's always been a see-ball/find-ball missile, but he's rounding his game now. I think we're seeing that BJM is a very good LB coach, given the improvement of Beasley, Banks, and even Herring's growth this year.

-Kamal Hadden needs to be on the sidelines. He's not only a total liability in coverage, but his mouth and stupidity are also a liability. His selfish actions last night cost UT a point. It didn't end up mattering, but if the offense hadn't responded, Clemson would have gotten the ball down 7 with a chance to tie with just a TD and PAT in the 4th quarter. I also hope McCollough is not a starter next year, unless he can improve. He wasn't good last night. I'm not sure Tennessee beats Alabama if he hadn't been suspended.

-On the other hand, I really like Doneiko Slaughter. He struggled in Athens, but he's been really solid otherwise. I'm not sure what position he should play in the secondary, but he plays the ball, he seems to have more awareness than other DBs, and he'll knock the snot out of people. With another year, he might be a good CB. I know some question if he has the hips, but the same concern exists for Ringo at UGA and he's pretty darn good. If not, he could be a good Star or S, but I think he needs to be on the field. Wesley Walker looks much better at S than Flowers did. He'll be good back there next year. He did misread the WR on a deep ball that should've been picked, though.

-Those refs sucked. I really think there is an anti-SEC bias from other conference refs. Too many examples of refs from other conferences screwing SEC teams in bowls.

-Fitting that Chase McGrath sealed it. He beat Bama with the winning FG, then sealed the win over Clemson. Speaking of which, I can only think of one team (2019 LSU) that has beaten Saban and Dabo in the same season besides 2022 Tennessee. Not only that, we beat Saban, Kelly, and Dabo in the same year. Those are probably the 3 most disliked coaches in America. We should be America's Team.

-Byron Young showed out. Hope that bumps his draft stock because he's a great kid with a great story. Tyler Baron also played really well, but he should stay for another year. He stands to really improve his stock in 2023 with a 2nd year at SDE, his more natural position. I also noticed Bryson Eason involved a lot. That's encouraging to see. Those DTs (Thomas, Terry, Eason, and Simmons) will be among the best DT group in the SEC in 2023.

Looking forward:

-Joe Milton has a spring practice, summer, and fall practice to build off of that performance. He'll build more chemistry with his WRs and get more and more reps. He should be a very solid QB in 2023. The WR corps should also be very good, in spite of the losses of Tillman and Hyatt. For starters, Tillman really didn't play much this year, so we're not losing much there. Keyton got a lot of experience and played pretty well. Bru is Bru. Squirrel got some great experience (especially last night) and seems to have a real connection with Milton. Also, I think we get Thornton and Webb/Nimrod look like great prospects, by all accounts. I do hope that Keyton can improve on catching contested deep balls. He has struggled in that regard, and did so on one deep ball last night.

-I think the 2023 offense will rely more on the run than the 2022 one did and I think that's largely because they'll be better at it. Wright should be the #1 RB in 2023. Not that the 2022 rushing offense was bad. I believe it was top 15 in America. But Wright and Sampson will take it to another level in 2023. That will only make Milton's job easier.

-Beasley and Pili will make the starting LB corps a strength. Which is crazy to think about, given where we've been at that position. An improved Herring, Perry, and the freshmen will provide quality depth. The DLine should be good again. We'll have to see what happens on the back end, but I would expect them to be better next year. If nothing else, a year of experience and health (they were all hurt during spring practice and didn't develop) will make them better. Turnage and Slaughter can be good. Maybe Charles too. Adding the freshmen will help too. I like Walker at one Safety, but we need to improve over McCollough at the other.

-The biggest reason for optimism isn't personnel and depth charts, though. It's that this program has a winning culture now. We saw that last night. They win in different ways. They beat Pitt and Clemson in different ways than they beat Bama and Florida, which was different than the way they beat LSU and Kentucky. This program has a belief now and expects to win. It doesn't matter how or who the heroes are. That's what great program culture looks like.

-I think this team can go 10-2 again. In fact, I expect 10 wins. But, call me crazy, I think this team can do better than 10-2. I expect to beat every team not named Alabama and Georgia. I think everyone in this program does too. But we also have a great chance against both of those teams. Alabama without Young and Anderson? Is their culture slipping? Heupel seems to have that defense figured out, that's for sure. Is Jalen Milroe going to beat Tennessee? Ty Simpson? Georgia loses Bennett, Carter, etc. and comes to Knoxville. Yes, both teams have talent waiting in the wings and will reload. Maybe they still beat Tennessee. But it's not a given. Regardless, those are the two swing games. It's nice to say that now, because 2 years ago, our swing games were Kentucky, Missouri, and South Carolina. I can't wait to avenge SC next year, kick Florida's butt in the swamp, and beat Jimbo in Knoxville. Because we will do all three of those things. Book it.

What a fun season. This wasn't a championship year. But I've been following Tennessee since 1985 and this is my favorite non-championship team. This is the team that set the stage for future championships. They got the Florida monkey of our backs. They beat Pitt in a fashion in which Tennessee always lost games before, evidencing a culture shift. They dominated LSU like no one else did this season. The offense was electric. They broke the Bama streak and gave me (us) the most enjoyable sporting event (and post-event) I've attended in my life. And they topped it off with Tennessee's best bowl win this century. They did it all in just Heupel's 2nd season after the program was burnt to the ground. If you can't be happy and optimistic right now, then fanhood just isn't for you.

More to come, ladies and gentlemen...more to come...

Last edited:
One tangential thought...I noticed Clemson had a lot of freshmen playing big roles. Klubnik, obviously. Their leading WR is a true freshman. Another freshman WR looks very good. Shipley is a sophomore and their other RB was, I believe, a freshman. Lots of young talent on defense too. That's a young team.

Point is, a Tennessee-Clemson matchup in next year's CFP wouldn't surprise me.

Most sensible post on VN in a while. I agree with everything you said. I actually said to someone this morning I thought Milton actually looked more accurate with the ball last night than Hooker for the most part. Just needs to get better about making decisions quicker, that's where Hooker really shined this year IMO.

The biggest thing to me was Milton taking ownership of his mistakes and correcting them. Maybe I missed them but he didn’t seem to make the same mistake over and over again in the same series.

The point after:

Towards the end of the game I don’t know if it was designed that way or Milton was starting to realize his running ability but if he has every DC in the country should worry.

One tangential thought...I noticed Clemson had a lot of freshmen playing big roles. Klubnik, obviously. Their leading WR is a true freshman. Another freshman WR looks very good. Shipley is a sophomore and their other RB was, I believe, a freshman. Lots of young talent on defense too. That's a young team.

Unless they get bigger and faster the end result will be the same or worse.

Reactions: Ratvol
It just occurred to me this morning that that was the biggest postseason win for Tennessee since the 1999 Fiesta Bowl, both in terms of bowl prestige and quality of opponent. Second place would be the 2002 Citrus Bowl following the 01 season, but the Citrus isn't the Orange and that Michigan teams wasn't this Clemson team.

My thoughts on the game:

-Someone posted a couple of weeks ago that an Orange Bowl win that results from Joe Milton playing well would provide the most optimism going into next year. I replied that an Orange Bowl win because the defense played well would make me even more optimistic for next year. We got both. That defense bent, but didn't break. They applied tremendous pressure. There are still back end concerns, but they're much better than last year and I think they'll be even better next season. Also...Banks called a really good game, based on down, distance, and game situation.

-Milton wasn't elite, but he was pretty darn good. The worst throw he made (IMO) was the 3rd down slant-in to an open Keyton that nosedived. And he had a few batted down, but other than that, he was spot on. Loved seeing him accurate on deep throws. Even the incomplete deep ball to Keyton was accurate and he gave his WR a chance. Remember, Hooker had some accuracy issues at the beginning of this year and I think Milton was actually more accurate last night than early-season (pre-Florida) Hooker. On top of that, he was doing it against one of the 3-4 best defenses Tennessee played all year (from a sheer personnel standpoint, I'd put them 2nd only to UGA) and he was doing it with the worst OLine protection this year, other than the Georgia game. That Clemson front is elite and they were really making life hell for our Oline.

-Not only did Milton do what he did with enormous pressure from the Clemson front, he did it without Hyatt and Tillman. That's impressive.

-Jaylen Wright looked like he took it to another level last night. I think he's decidedly better than Small now, especially since he's stopped fumbling. Wright runs with speed and power and he gets to the 2nd level quickly. He had a short run (maybe 4 yards) on which he got the edge, but when the play began, I thought it was a loss. Clemson had it defended to be a loss and his speed made something out of nothing.

-What else can you say about Aaron Beasley? He's gone from a subpar LB to a star. The most encouraging thing is, he's now playing pass defense well. He's always been a see-ball/find-ball missile, but he's rounding his game now. I think we're seeing that BJM is a very good LB coach, given the improvement of Beasley, Banks, and even Herring's growth this year.

-Kamal Hadden needs to be on the sidelines. He's not only a total liability in coverage, but his mouth and stupidity are also a liability. His selfish actions last night cost UT a point. It didn't end up mattering, but if the offense hadn't responded, Clemson would have gotten the ball down 7 with a chance to tie with just a TD and PAT in the 4th quarter. I also hope McCollough is not a starter next year, unless he can improve. He wasn't good last night. I'm not sure Tennessee beats Alabama if he hadn't been suspended.

-On the other hand, I really like Doneiko Slaughter. He struggled in Athens, but he's been really solid otherwise. I'm not sure what position he should play in the secondary, but he plays the ball, he seems to have more awareness than other DBs, and he'll knock the snot out of people. With another year, he might be a good CB. I know some question if he has the hips, but the same concern exists for Ringo at UGA and he's pretty darn good. If not, he could be a good Star or S, but I think he needs to be on the field. Wesley Walker looks much better at S than Flowers did. He'll be good back there next year. He did misread the WR on a deep ball that should've been picked, though.

-Those refs sucked. I really think there is an anti-SEC bias from other conference refs. Too many examples of refs from other conferences screwing SEC teams in bowls.

-Fitting that Chase McGrath sealed it. He beat Bama with the winning FG, then sealed the win over Clemson. Speaking of which, I can only think of one team (2019 LSU) that has beaten Saban and Dabo in the same season besides 2022 Tennessee. Not only that, we beat Saban, Kelly, and Dabo in the same year. Those are probably the 3 most disliked coaches in America. We should be America's Team.

-Byron Young showed out. Hope that bumps his draft stock because he's a great kid with a great story. Tyler Baron also played really well, but he should stay for another year. He stands to really improve his stock in 2023 with a 2nd year at SDE, his more natural position. I also noticed Bryson Eason involved a lot. That's encouraging to see. Those DTs (Thomas, Terry, Eason, and Simmons) will be among the best DT group in the SEC in 2023.

Looking forward:

-Joe Milton has a spring practice, summer, and fall practice to build off of that performance. He'll build more chemistry with his WRs and get more and more reps. He should be a very solid QB in 2023. The WR corps should also be very good, in spite of the losses of Tillman and Hyatt. For starters, Tillman really didn't play much this year, so we're not losing much there. Keyton got a lot of experience and played pretty well. Bru is Bru. Squirrel got some great experience (especially last night) and seems to have a real connection with Milton. Also, I think we get Thornton and Webb/Nimrod look like great prospects, by all accounts. I do hope that Keyton can improve on catching contested deep balls. He has struggled in that regard, and did so on one deep ball last night.

-I think the 2023 offense will rely more on the run than the 2022 one did and I think that's largely because they'll be better at it. Wright should be the #1 RB in 2023. Not that the 2022 rushing offense was bad. I believe it was top 15 in America. But Wright and Sampson will take it to another level in 2023. That will only make Milton's job easier.

-Beasley and Pili will make the starting LB corps a strength. Which is crazy to think about, given where we've been at that position. An improved Herring, Perry, and the freshmen will provide quality depth. The DLine should be good again. We'll have to see what happens on the back end, but I would expect them to be better next year. If nothing else, a year of experience and health (they were all hurt during spring practice and didn't develop) will make them better. Turnage and Slaughter can be good. Maybe Charles too. Adding the freshmen will help too. I like Walker at one Safety, but we need to improve over McCollough at the other.

-The biggest reason for optimism isn't personnel and depth charts, though. It's that this program has a winning culture now. We saw that last night. They win in different ways. They beat Pitt and Clemson in different ways than they beat Bama and Florida, which was different than the way they beat LSU and Kentucky. This program has a belief now and expects to win. It doesn't matter how or who the heroes are. That's what great program culture looks like.

-I think this team can go 10-2 again. In fact, I expect 10 wins. But, call me crazy, I think this team can do better than 10-2. I expect to beat every team not named Alabama and Georgia. I think everyone in this program does too. But we also have a great chance against both of those teams. Alabama without Young and Anderson? Is their culture slipping? Heupel seems to have that defense figured out, that's for sure. Is Jalen Milroe going to beat Tennessee? Ty Simpson? Georgia loses Bennett, Carter, etc. and comes to Knoxville. Yes, both teams have talent waiting in the wings and will reload. Maybe they still beat Tennessee. But it's not a given. Regardless, those are the two swing games. It's nice to say that now, because 2 years ago, our swing games were Kentucky, Missouri, and South Carolina. I can't wait to avenge SC next year, kick Florida's butt in the swamp, and beat Jimbo in Knoxville. Because we will do all three of those things. Book it.

What a fun season. This wasn't a championship year. But I've been following Tennessee since 1985 and this is my favorite non-championship team. This is the team that set the stage for future championships. They got the Florida monkey of our backs. They beat Pitt in a fashion in which Tennessee always lost games before, evidencing a culture shift. They dominated LSU like no one else did this season. The offense was electric. They broke the Bama streak and gave me (us) the most enjoyable sporting event (and post-event) I've attended in my life. And they topped it off with Tennessee's best bowl win this century. They did it all in just Heupel's 2nd season after the program was burnt to the ground. If you can't be happy and optimistic right now, then fanhood just isn't for you.

Very good analysis. You must have slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

The Refs bias is a problem for me as well. How many holding calls on Clemson last night 0 or 1?

How many did they commit 8+ I saw at least 3 that were blatant take downs.

The most telling part of the story last night was that we beat 3 of the 4 previous National Champions this year. That is a strong indicator that we have boarded the train.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me this morning that that was the biggest postseason win for Tennessee since the 1999 Fiesta Bowl, both in terms of bowl prestige and quality of opponent. Second place would be the 2002 Citrus Bowl following the 01 season, but the Citrus isn't the Orange and that Michigan teams wasn't this Clemson team.

My thoughts on the game:

Looking forward:

Excellent write up and I agree 100% with most of this.

I don't see a game changer on their O even considering their Freshman. Shipley had about 300 more yards than Wright with a 5.6 average per carry vs 6.0 for Wright. I don't see a single O player for them that I would trade one of our guys for.

Great write up....I agree.
Awesome season and this team was special. It was crazy how alot of fans an announcers had us winning 6 or 7 games, then we over achieved and they were pissed we only won 10 during the season.
11-2 was incredible and we took care of business in the bowl game to redeem from last year's bowl. GO VOLS

Reactions: NighthawkVol
MILTON; what I saw that makes me have high expectations for next year......when Joe looked off the safety and threw a bullet to Squirrel!!!! That was a coached throw! He is figuring it out! I predict a bigger passing year for him than Hooker had this year.

You are right about McCullough!!!! He can't play!!! Walker and Slaughter should be the safety's!!!! Sampson is our best back, just got to play more.

My thoughts on the game:

Looking forward:

Very good read. Except for 1 small detail. We can beat both Bama on the road and GA at home next year if we play to our potential.

You are right about McCullough!!!! He can't play!!! Walker and Slaughter should be the safety's!!!! Sampson is our best back, just got to play more.
I agree with you on Walker and Slaughter and think they will be our guys next year. I really like Sampson but Wright is going to be very good. They will be sharing carries, but I imagine Wright is going to get plenty of carries too. GBO

The most telling part of the story last night was that we beat 3 of the 4 previous National Champions this year. That is a strong indicator that we have boarded the train.

It is incredible to realize that we played 4 of the last 4 CFP champions in this season. This team has been tested, and they have delivered. I love these guys and will never forget this season or this team. They have changed the trajectory of the program.

@GregAmsler great write up as usual.

My thoughts on the game:

Looking forward:

Outstanding summary. The only complaint I had after the game was that Beasley wasn't named game MVP. I've grown to greatly admire Milton and his loyalty to the team, so I am happy for him. But I don't know how you can do any more than Beasley did last night. Just a tremendous performance.

VN Store

Back