My thoughts on Dobbs, Jennings, Kelly, Berry, Butch, Shoop, and the program

RockyMtnsVol

On the negative side I see 2 glaring things that cost us the game and the last of our National respect. Without Dobbs' awful play and without his interceptions we would have won by double digits. I want to like Dobbs but it's hard. I don't think it's best for the team to bench him at this point and play Dormady but dang, I'll be glad to start fresh next year with (hopefully) Guarantano. The other thing is Shoop's "relentless" blitzing. I like the concept and think Shoop deserves another season but he should also understand that we don't currently have the talent in our secondary to play the tight man coverage required for all that blitzing! We made that jr in high school qb look like a heisman candidate!

I would like to point out that Kelly, Jennings, and Ev Berry had great games and I was proud of them. I'll obviously throw Barnett in there too. It's too bad their quarterback let them down. Those boys played their hearts out just to have the game given away:(

Everything obviously falls on the HC but I don't blame Butch for the loss. Our DC was trying to showboat without the talent to do so (injuries) and our QB did not have his head in the game (I believe Dobbs' academics may be catching up to his football play during his senior year).

This seems to be the Vols motto and I'd never say this in an SEC forum but I do see a bright future for us. I was overly ready for it now just like everybody but it was not to be. I think Guarantano is the real deal though and he will shred defenses in years to come. Shoop will help develop depth on defense (he basically had no play in recruiting LY and kids do want to play in his overly aggressive system).

Finally, if Florida loses to Arkansas and LSU which I would go as far as to say is likely, we're back in the driver's seat. The question is would we be up to another game vs Bama on the biggest stage? We'll see how things play out I guess...

Reactions: 2 people
I expect to see major staff changes this off season to put the fire out on CBJ's seat. He will get 1 more year to win the SEC east.

We have to win the rest of our games. Butch will be in real hot water if he loses to even one of our remaining opponents.

Tenn Tech
Mizzou
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

We haven't won since the Georgia Hail Mary.

Rocky you're right there we some positives vs. scar unfortunately , our negatives overcame them.

Inconsistent play from a veteran QB.

Predictable and bad play calling of Debord.

A DL that can't get off or shed blocks (with the exception of Barnett)

An OL that can't block.

Injuries.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Shoop is solid.
Attacking a freshman first start I think was advisable. When we didn't he was able to pick our depleted secondary apart ( looking at you Buchanan).
Shoop will be great. He just doesn't have the horses and depth for his system ( due in part to injuries)

Otherwise spot on

Reactions: 2 people
Everything obviously falls on the HC but I don't blame Butch for the loss.

Say what? Butch has utterly mismanaged and thrown away what could have been a magical season. It is like there was no coaching or preparation at all in the offseason and fall camp. This team still has not shown up ready to play and we are eight games into the season. At this point, it is safe to expect four more flat performances.

Whatever he has been doing with this team, has failed miserably. His first performance review needs to be with the man in the mirror.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Shoop is solid.
Attacking a freshman first start I think was advisable. When we didn't he was able to pick our depleted secondary apart ( looking at you Buchanan).
Shoop will be great. He just doesn't have the horses and depth for his system ( due in part to injuries)

Otherwise spot on

I felt like he was picking our secondary apart when he knew a blitz was coming and knew Buchanan wouldn't be getting any help...

Say what? Butch has utterly mismanaged and thrown away what could have been a magical season. It is like there was no coaching or preparation at all in the offseason and fall camp. This team still has not shown up ready to play and we are eight games into the season. At this point, it is safe to expect four more flat performances.

Whatever he has been doing with this team, has failed miserably. His first performance review needs to be with the man in the mirror.

I feel like Shoop mismanaged his defense. Shoop makes enough money to be left alone to take care of it...

If Dobbs hadn't turned it over multiple times DeBord would have hung 35 on South Carolina.

With the most recent news of Tuttle's season ending injury, I only see TT and Mizzou as wins. We had a hard time stopping the run when Shy and KMac were healthy. Now without them? It will be open season on our DL. UK has some quick, explosive RBs. And Vandys Webb is one of the best RBs in the SEC. 7-5 season coming up.

With the most recent news of Tuttle's season ending injury, I only see TT and Mizzou as wins. We had a hard time stopping the run when Shy and KMac were healthy. Now without them? It will be open season on our DL. UK has some quick, explosive RBs. And Vandys Webb is one of the best RBs in the SEC. 7-5 season coming up.

I certainly hope not but after our showing Saturday I don't trust this team can do much better.

The crap product on the field last Saturday falls on Botch Jones. He's horrible during game day. A member of VN would do better on the sideline.

"Schizophrenia is a serious disorder which affects how a person thinks, feels and acts. Someone with schizophrenia may have difficulty distinguishing between what is real and what is imaginary; may be unresponsive or withdrawn; and may have difficulty expressing normal emotions in social situations."

Is this what we and our team is?

My prediction is OC DeBord will not be around for a retirement watch. CBJ needs to " Shake things up "BIG TIME!" I don't think he can recruit top players to DeBord.

Last year it was the Gay-Tur* game when they had a "Gut Check."

I love who and what Dobbs is.. and I don't think CBJ will make a replacement unless he gets hurt.

We all have had bad days, and sometimes getting fired isn't really all your fault, but someone is going down.
IMHO

Bleeding Orange!

VN Store

Back