My thoughts after our bowl win

kingkisses

I don't typically post on here, but am a Vol by heart and an alumni. While the comeback was wonderful, I have certain reservations and areas for optimism about our staff (I will not pick on the players since they are just kids).

1. Having one of the worst red zone efficiency rates in the country and 4th down conversation rates in the country is extremely alarming. While the stats don't always tell the whole story, to me, these two stats show that the staff needs to develop decision-making skills. The two stats fall entirely on the staff to identify what play to call. Moreover, to "go for it" on 4th downs despite lack of success, signals the positive trait of aggressiveness and the negative trait of being dumb. For reference, the Baltimore Ravens hired a 25-year-old, Yale graduate to make all of the decisions on fourth downs.

2. Benching JG may appear as a bad tactic, but it works. Despite the traditional wisdom of sticking with only one quarterback, our staff decided to switch quarterbacks based on performance. For whatever reason, it works, and, I love it. I like that staff is willing to break from the mold.

3. I can actually see player development. Back when Butch was around, I always took hit for saying that Butch was a bad coach- rather than progress we saw our players regress. For whatever reasons, our players seemed to have their best season their freshman year and slow regress from future stars to undraftable. This staff is really developing our players, and I think that's a sign of good coaching.

In sum, I think our coaches are really good at player development yet lack the intellectual faculty to choose the right plays. Between the two competing factors, I hope the former rather than the latter outweigh the other. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Agree with most of this post; however, I believe most of the red zone woes stem from poor QB play. JG had receivers open all game long in the end zone, but he consistently put the ball over their heads. An upper echelon QB would've finished drives with TDs and put up 17+ pts in the 1st half.

No doubt the coaches are developing players in a way we haven't seen in a long time, but Pruitt still needs to get more of his players on the roster.

Continued development, S&C, SEC-level depth, etc. and this team will compete with any in the country.

Honestly, the coaches have been impressing me with the following in progression throughout the year:

- RB play has gotten better
- LB play has gotten better (needs some more depth and experience)
- DB play has gotten a lot better
- OL play has gotten better (needs depth/consistency)
- DL play and blitzing style overall has been much improved

Honestly QB play and red zone play calling is the only thing i would say needs marked improvement in the off-season.
Specials Teams was up and down (not FG kicking but elsewhere) and could use some tidying up for next season.

Coach Pruitt is still learning to be a HC, but i am loving a lot of things he is instilling in the program. He is the guy? We shall see, however we are making progress from 2017-2018 and now from 2018-2019.

Agree with most of this post; however, I believe most of the red zone woes stem from poor QB play. JG had receivers open all game long in the end zone, but he consistently put the ball over their heads. An upper echelon QB would've finished drives with TDs and put up 17+ pts in the 1st half.

No doubt the coaches are developing players in a way we haven't seen in a long time, but Pruitt still needs to get more of his players on the roster.

Continued development, S&C, SEC-level depth, etc. and this team will compete with any in the country.

I agree that JG needs improvements for sure, but I also think the play calling could account for JG's unreliability. Nevertheless, we'll see when JG leaves. I really hope you are right!

I agree that JG needs improvements for sure, but I also think the play calling could account for JG's unreliability. Nevertheless, we'll see when JG leaves. I really hope you are right!

Play calling doesnt toss the ball over the receivers head like a rocket over and over again or throw into double coverage.

This team had great junior/senior/coaching leadership and a desire to win. That is obvious.

To compete for the east they need to refill those leadership roles and continue to develop big linemen on both sides.

Couldn't agree more - most of the red zone problems can be laid at the foot of the qb. imo. One only has to remember the Alabama game when we could have walked in for a TD and our qb went Rogue. He is not very good, he does not know how to run or execute a qb sneak, and his passing stats in the red zone are awful. As he goes, so goes our red zone stats.

The most impressive part of UT’s season (post-Ga State, BYU) was their ability to pull out games where they were seemingly evenly-matched going in. They won every single one of these games against teams like South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, etc.

I think that’s a good sign for the program and a sign that Pruitt’s message is getting through to the players.

Congrats to UT fans on a solid season.

I don't typically post on here, but am a Vol by heart and an alumni. While the comeback was wonderful, I have certain reservations and areas for optimism about our staff (I will not pick on the players since they are just kids).

1. Having one of the worst red zone efficiency rates in the country and 4th down conversation rates in the country is extremely alarming. While the stats don't always tell the whole story, to me, these two stats show that the staff needs to develop decision-making skills. The two stats fall entirely on the staff to identify what play to call. Moreover, to "go for it" on 4th downs despite lack of success, signals the positive trait of aggressiveness and the negative trait of being dumb. For reference, the Baltimore Ravens hired a 25-year-old, Yale graduate to make all of the decisions on fourth downs.

2. Benching JG may appear as a bad tactic, but it works. Despite the traditional wisdom of sticking with only one quarterback, our staff decided to switch quarterbacks based on performance. For whatever reason, it works, and, I love it. I like that staff is willing to break from the mold.

3. I can actually see player development. Back when Butch was around, I always took hit for saying that Butch was a bad coach- rather than progress we saw our players regress. For whatever reasons, our players seemed to have their best season their freshman year and slow regress from future stars to undraftable. This staff is really developing our players, and I think that's a sign of good coaching.

In sum, I think our coaches are really good at player development yet lack the intellectual faculty to choose the right plays. Between the two competing factors, I hope the former rather than the latter outweigh the other. Go Vols!
Sometimes players have to make plays. The plays are there right now we lack enough playmakers.

Reactions: Duckyvol59
Agree with everything you said, except the play calling. I think the play calling is actually pretty dang good and I hope Chaney stays here a long time. We just don’t have a great QB.

That should change soon with Bailey arriving. However, I will say the jury is still out on Weinke as a QB coach. Not sold on him yet. We’ll see. But great win last night. GBO!

As others have stated, I put a lot of the Red Zone efficiency issues on JG. Much of it seems to be a mental issue. He's got the skills though he is slow. Wasn't he a dual threat QB? Perhaps some good coaching to get his head straight over the off season will help. But last night, the amount of 'over throws' is unacceptable. The great quarterbacks are cool, calm, and collected. JG get's all frazzled. One other point is that the offense line did some poor Pass protection. Not sure what was up with that.

Thanks. Post more.

#1 That low rate simple goes with the fact that we don't run it well. Last night, I think most would says we got too pass happy. But from a season %, it's just the fact we can't run down hill on most teams.

#2 This is a Lock! I believe our coaches LEARNED that this year. They didn't realize it during GSU / BYU but learned on the job. It's impossible to know what happens to any player when the lights come on. JG is a head case that needs to stare at a worse QB take the field for a series or 2. It clears the cobwebs. Pruitt and company got out in front of it early and it gave enough time to get him back in and play to his real potential and win it for us!

JG is by far the best we have right now. But, when the cobbwebs take over, he's the worst. That "time out" has helped him all season. And coach played it perfectly last night to save the game.

Thanks. Post more.

#1 That low rate simple goes with the fact that we don't run it well. Last night, I think most would says we got too pass happy. But from a season %, it's just the fact we can't run down hill on most teams.

#2 This is a Lock! I believe our coaches LEARNED that this year. They didn't realize it during GSU / BYU but learned on the job. It's impossible to know what happens to any player when the lights come on. JG is a head case that needs to stare at a worse QB take the field for a series or 2. It clears the cobwebs. Pruitt and company got out in front of it early and it gave enough time to get him back in and play to his real potential and win it for us!

JG is by far the best we have right now. But, when the cobbwebs take over, he's the worst. That "time out" has helped him all season. And coach played it perfectly last night to save the game.

Agreed. We don’t run it well/enough....we need a bigger Power back to compliment Gray. Chandler may be a better WR/slot type than a pure RB. I sat there and called it when we ran Crouch right behind Trey Smith for the TD before they even put him on the field. It was the exact same situation as the Alabama game this year, and this time we called and executed the right play perfectly.

Reactions: posivol
Agreed. We don’t run it well/enough....we need a bigger Power back to compliment Gray. Chandler may be a better WR/slot type than a pure RB. I sat there and called it when we ran Crouch right behind Trey Smith for the TD before they even put him on the field. It was the exact same situation as the Alabama game this year, and this time we called and executed the right play perfectly.

LOL, that was the exact convo in my living room too! What could have been. One score down. Tua gone. A rookie taking the reigns. And Vols with huge momentum. Trey literally destroyed that Bama LB for Crouch. Then the bad JG decided ... :-o

Gray looks quick but needs to add some size and strength so he doesn't go down so easy. Appears to have great instincts and he does try to hold on to the ball as many try to strip him when being tackled. Incredible for a freshman. Should be a good one.

Reactions: Ratvol
Here’s what really encouraging. Even with all mistakes, deficiencies, inexperience, and adversity this team never gives up and THEY ARE WINNING. Just wait till that stuff gets fixed. Good teams with good coaching win even when they shouldn’t.

I'm more encouraged with the fact that we beat a deeply traditional powerhouse in football, Indiana, who was one player (kicker) from putting us back in a coaching search.

Only TDs scored by Crouch and Gray. Onside kick recovered by Gray. Gray gets MVP. Ramel Keyton showed up and was second leading receiver. Henry To'oto'o leading tackler. Freshmen pretty much dominated. Coaches know how to evaluate and develop is what I took away. Future is bright.

This. I was in section 111 and several times the whole section would be screaming "Look at ________ hes wide open!!!" .........and inevitably JG would hone in on a player being double teamed. I thought the playcalling set us up pretty well in most instances actually, just the execution from JG was horrendous.......but I didnt have benefit of analysis and replay.

This. I was in section 111 and several times the whole section would be screaming "Look at ________ hes wide open!!!" .........and inevitably JG would hone in on a player being double teamed. I thought the playcalling set us up pretty well in most instances actually, just the execution from JG was horrendous.......but I didnt have benefit of analysis and replay.

I was doing the same from my couch...Plus a couple of times all he had to do was run for a few yards...He would take a step, stumble and fall when he did try....

VN Store

Back