My love letter to Tennessee (COMPLETE!)

I feel like we've all together watched a child grow up. Remember the early days of you working on this drawing, posting your progress here on the boards.

Congratulations on the finished work, including the frame. It is all super well thought out and shows off your talent.

Go Vols!

From the time I started this one, we've spanned 3 presidents, and I've gone from two to four kids. I only started woodworking 3-4 years ago, so I suppose my procrastination helped create a more cohesive piece of art!

VN actually played a special role for me and my family. While I never intended to use VN as a marketplace, several VN members supported by buying prints of my first three me when I was a young father getting through school (my wife and I were both in our graduate programs at UT). While I'm not actively selling prints any longer, I will always be grateful to this community for helping my young family at a time when we needed it most.

After 8 years I’ve finally completed my love letter to Tennessee. Back in 2013, I went on a ferry boat during the Tennessee South Carolina game (remember the game winning FG by Mike Palardy?) with my friend who took several reference photos I used for this drawing.

I used 2B graphite on Bristol board paying close attention with lots of fun details throughout the Knoxville skyline (I’m particularly proud to have snuck in the sunsphere!) I also made sure to include a silver medallion featuring the state seal of Tennessee.

Surprisingly enough, I’m most proud of the frame for this one. I searched the banks of the Tennessee River close to the stadium for a driftwood Poplar log, given it’s the State Tree of Tennessee (ultimately finding the perfect one right next to Calhoun’s).

My dad is a retired forester for the state of Tennessee and gave me the idea for how to design the frame molding once I milled it and had it kiln dried. The peaks and valleys of the frame represent the average elevation going from one end of the state to the other, from the Mississippi River Valley, through the Cumberland Plateau, and to the great Smoky Mountains. Credit to my friend and the Inventor Center for helping me rough cut the design before I completed the assembly and finishing work.

Being a superstitious Vols fan, I can only assume these last 8 painful years are due to my procrastinating this art project. Here’s to greater days ahead! Go Vols!

P.S. For my friends in the tri-cities, you can come see my work on display at the FunFest Art show starting this Sunday.

P.S.S. Any of you Vol Navy members know the owner of the boat in the foreground? It would be fun to connect with that person.

View attachment 378908
View attachment 378909
View attachment 378911
View attachment 378912
View attachment 378913
View attachment 378914

Kick azz!

From the time I started this one, we've spanned 3 presidents, and I've gone from two to four kids. I only started woodworking 3-4 years ago, so I suppose my procrastination helped create a more cohesive piece of art!

VN actually played a special role for me and my family. While I never intended to use VN as a marketplace, several VN members supported by buying prints of my first three me when I was a young father getting through school (my wife and I were both in our graduate programs at UT). While I'm not actively selling prints any longer, I will always be grateful to this community for helping my young family at a time when we needed it most.
I have a copy the print of Neyland Stadium you did. I had it framed and matted, and really enjoy it. You are an amazing artist.

I feel like we've all together watched a child grow up. Remember the early days of you working on this drawing, posting your progress here on the boards.

Congratulations on the finished work, including the frame. It is all super well thought out and shows off your talent.

Go Vols!
I remember the first time I saw his print hanging in the Vol Shop. I took a picture of it to show my friend at work who also posted here at the time. We were so happy for happy for @PeytonBerry !!

The detail in the artwork is unacceptably perfect. It's allllllllmost a black and white photo, with just a barely perceptible amount of artistic quality. Truly ridiculous. You sir, better raise your youngins up to continue your talent for future generations.

Reactions: PeytonBerry
OP's SKILLZ...

tumblr_np7oe16KJf1uul7qmo1_500.gif

After 8 years I’ve finally completed my love letter to Tennessee. Back in 2013, I went on a ferry boat during the Tennessee South Carolina game (remember the game winning FG by Mike Palardy?) with my friend who took several reference photos I used for this drawing.

I used 2B graphite on Bristol board paying close attention with lots of fun details throughout the Knoxville skyline (I’m particularly proud to have snuck in the sunsphere!) I also made sure to include a silver medallion featuring the state seal of Tennessee.

Surprisingly enough, I’m most proud of the frame for this one. I searched the banks of the Tennessee River close to the stadium for a driftwood Poplar log, given it’s the State Tree of Tennessee (ultimately finding the perfect one right next to Calhoun’s).

My dad is a retired forester for the state of Tennessee and gave me the idea for how to design the frame molding once I milled it and had it kiln dried. The peaks and valleys of the frame represent the average elevation going from one end of the state to the other, from the Mississippi River Valley, through the Cumberland Plateau, and to the great Smoky Mountains. Credit to my friend and the Inventor Center for helping me rough cut the design before I completed the assembly and finishing work.

Being a superstitious Vols fan, I can only assume these last 8 painful years are due to my procrastinating this art project. Here’s to greater days ahead! Go Vols!

P.S. For my friends in the tri-cities, you can come see my work on display at the FunFest Art show starting this Sunday.

P.S.S. Any of you Vol Navy members know the owner of the boat in the foreground? It would be fun to connect with that person.

View attachment 378908
View attachment 378909
View attachment 378911
View attachment 378912
View attachment 378913
View attachment 378914
Fantastic work, that SC game was one of my favorite recent games & it is now bittersweet . My best friend passed away in JAN.2020 & he was my road dog to countless games going back to the early 90’s when we were teenagers riding with our parents . I remember thinking that a W that day was unlikely which made the win extra special plus beating Spurrier is always good . My family and i have sat in Q34 which is on about the 5 yard line in the south end zone for almost 60 years so we had a perfect view of the game winner . I have at work and will post tomorrow a video of the winning FG that I took with my iPhone . I will say it again though …. fantastic work !

Reactions: PeytonBerry
Went by the Funfest art show today just to see this in person. Really, really special piece and absolutely deserving of that “Best in Show” designation. Thanks for sharing with us!

Attachments

• 04997CB2-FB0A-4906-A448-38B630D1C6F7.jpeg
    04997CB2-FB0A-4906-A448-38B630D1C6F7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

View attachment 378908
View attachment 378909
View attachment 378911
View attachment 378912
View attachment 378913
View attachment 378914
This is a good example of how I think the new NIL ruling will really help us get back to the top. There is no fan base that is more passionate, and we don't have to share fans like they do in Bama and S. Carolina......Fla., and TX also.

VN Store

Back