My love letter to Tennessee (COMPLETE!)

PeytonBerry

After 8 years I’ve finally completed my love letter to Tennessee. Back in 2013, I went on a ferry boat during the Tennessee South Carolina game (remember the game winning FG by Mike Palardy?) with my friend who took several reference photos I used for this drawing.

I used 2B graphite on Bristol board paying close attention with lots of fun details throughout the Knoxville skyline (I’m particularly proud to have snuck in the sunsphere!) I also made sure to include a silver medallion featuring the state seal of Tennessee.

Surprisingly enough, I’m most proud of the frame for this one. I searched the banks of the Tennessee River close to the stadium for a driftwood Poplar log, given it’s the State Tree of Tennessee (ultimately finding the perfect one right next to Calhoun’s).

My dad is a retired forester for the state of Tennessee and gave me the idea for how to design the frame molding once I milled it and had it kiln dried. The peaks and valleys of the frame represent the average elevation going from one end of the state to the other, from the Mississippi River Valley, through the Cumberland Plateau, and to the great Smoky Mountains. Credit to my friend and the Inventor Center for helping me rough cut the design before I completed the assembly and finishing work.

Being a superstitious Vols fan, I can only assume these last 8 painful years are due to my procrastinating this art project. Here’s to greater days ahead! Go Vols!

P.S. For my friends in the tri-cities, you can come see my work on display at the FunFest Art show starting this Sunday.

P.S.S. Any of you Vol Navy members know the owner of the boat in the foreground? It would be fun to connect with that person.

E00592C0-3BB0-4202-B9D5-F6E9545DDCC7.jpeg
4ADA1D0E-721B-4B12-83FA-1536C6B89B57.jpeg
74D48D72-1612-4967-B391-CF3E8E02F921.jpeg
F70F841F-CCF4-4D32-80D5-1D1C30E0F046.jpeg
8456BDBB-E59E-4326-AED5-208D94AAAFFD.jpeg
53DA8328-68DD-4928-94D5-470293BC88AC.jpeg

After 8 years I’ve finally completed my love letter to Tennessee. Back in 2013, I went on a ferry boat during the Tennessee South Carolina game (remember the game winning FG by Mike Palardy?) with my friend who took several reference photos I used for this drawing.

I used 2B graphite on Bristol board paying close attention with lots of fun details throughout the Knoxville skyline (I’m particularly proud to have snuck in the sunsphere!) I also made sure to include a silver medallion featuring the state seal of Tennessee.

Surprisingly enough, I’m most proud of the frame for this one. I searched the banks of the Tennessee River close to the stadium for a driftwood Poplar log, given it’s the State Tree of Tennessee (ultimately finding the perfect one right next to Calhoun’s).

My dad is a retired forester for the state of Tennessee and gave me the idea for how to design the frame molding once I milled it and had it kiln dried. The peaks and valleys of the frame represent the average elevation going from one end of the state to the other, from the Mississippi River Valley, through the Cumberland Plateau, and to the great Smoky Mountains. Credit to my friend and the Inventor Center for helping me rough cut the design before I completed the assembly and finishing work.

Being a superstitious Vols fan, I can only assume these last 8 painful years are due to my procrastinating this art project. Here’s to greater days ahead! Go Vols!

P.S. For my friends in the tri-cities, you can come see my work on display at the FunFest Art show starting this Sunday.

P.S.S. Any of you Vol Navy members know the owner of the boat in the foreground? It would be fun to connect with that person.

View attachment 378908
View attachment 378909
View attachment 378911
View attachment 378912
View attachment 378913
View attachment 378914
Very nice I guess you are keeping this. Our is it for sale?

Reactions: PeytonBerry
Very nice I guess you are keeping this. Our is it for sale?

I don’t have any plans to sell at the moment, but I may reconsider in the future.

Not sure if I’ll do prints this go round either as it was a bit of a time suck with the last three (Neyland Stadium, Pat Summitt, Rocky Top). I may consider doing prints if there is enough interest tho.

This is absolutely amazing. Wonderful work and a great way to represent our state and school pride in art. Major applause!

Not pointillism, but just precision graphite markings sometimes working hours on a single square inch.
I know a guy here in Nashville who does pointillism. He was in a bad accident as a young man and it messed up some of his cognitive abilities but left him with the patience and focus to do what he does. I wish someone could do a time lapse video of him at work.

Man that is awesome! I was there that day too. My group was on the very top of the upper deck on the left side of the video board. We stood with our backs up against the fence for most of the game

Not pointillism, but just precision graphite markings sometimes working hours on a single square inch.

Have no idea what "pointillism" is. But I do know what you mean by hours on apart of a drawing. I can spend 30-50 hrs on a drawing no bigger than 8x10. However, I will use several different pencils, just can't get by with one grade. The only UT drawing is of Payton cocked to throw a pass, lord what hands! wrap better than 1/2 way round the ball!

I feel like we've all together watched a child grow up. Remember the early days of you working on this drawing, posting your progress here on the boards.

Congratulations on the finished work, including the frame. It is all super well thought out and shows off your talent.

Go Vols!

Man that is awesome! I was there that day too. My group was on the very top of the upper deck on the left side of the video board. We stood with our backs up against the fence for most of the game
No kidding? We were in a similar location a few rows down from there on the right side of the jumbotrom (if you're looking at it).

Reactions: smokeycoonhoundUT
Have no idea what "pointillism" is. But I do know what you mean by hours on apart of a drawing. I can spend 30-50 hrs on a drawing no bigger than 8x10. However, I will use several different pencils, just can't get by with one grade. The only UT drawing is of Payton cocked to throw a pass, lord what hands! wrap better than 1/2 way round the ball!
That's awesome, you should post on here!

Very inspiring to see the perseverance, skill, thoughtfulness and attention to detail. Surely the good Lord will smile on your care and craft, as well as our Vols. Amen.

This is simply incredible work that you have done. What a cool story to be able to share with others when showing your work. I understand your superstition too. Thanks so much for sharing this.

VN Store

Back