My little charity... needs families to adopt and donations.

I am doing my yearly bump of this thread. Most of you know the backstory to this charity, but long and short of it... we "adopt" underprivileged kids at Christmas time and take care of some wish list items for their Christmas. I believe the first year we adopted just slightly less than 100 kids, second year slightly less than 200 and this year the goal is 400. We have already purchased items for 266 and we will crush our goal.

My point... if anyone wants to donate it can be done on Facebook Log into Facebook or checks can be mailed to The Island of Misfit Toys, 5622 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, FL 33707.

A little update on the fundraising effort last Saturday. I purchased and cooked smoked prime rib, pulled pork, my version of spinach maria (for you Calhoun's fans) bacon wrapped dates, bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese and grilled asparagus. In addition, we had wings, mac and cheese, fried chicken, coleslaw, potato salad, deviled eggs, taco dip, taco salad and deserts. It was an impressive spread and turnout. We raised almost 9k on that day!

Just a little update, The Island of Misfit Toys has "adopted" almost 500 kids this year!
Are you still looking to adopt anymore or all set for the year? I know you have helped out some of my daughters therapy clients in the past, I could let her know. It’s amazing how much your charity has grown, it’s wonderful what you are doing.

Are you still looking to adopt anymore or all set for the year? I know you have helped out some of my daughters therapy clients in the past, I could let her know. It’s amazing how much your charity has grown, it’s wonderful what you are doing.

I am short on time, but not money.

Reactions: MAD
It is time for my yearly bump. The folks of Volnation have come through every year for The Island of Misfit Toys. Many of you know the story, but I will tell it again...

Several years ago, my fiance and realized just how spoiled we were and decided that we would cut down our Christmas lists and adopt a family in need. We began with a woman with 2 young kids who was an accountant, but was working at Waffle House because she was hiding from her abusive ex husband. We provided gifts for her children. Over the next couple years we adopted more families each year (different families) and it kind of caught on in my group of friends who began to donate. I would literally come home to find checks under my door mat.

So, we started The Island of Misfit Toys. It is a legitimate non profit with all the paperwork and what not. The first year we managed to raise enough money to help 50 or so children (I'm firing from memory). The following year we adopted more than 100, but it was bitter sweet as my fiance passed tragically and suddenly on December 11, 2020. Last year, though emotionally difficult, we kept the charity up and running with the help of my friends and family. It was a stellar year as we helped more than 500 kids.

This year, we begin with a goal to exceed last year and for that we need money. The way we work is that I am in contact with schools here and in Tennessee as well as individual families and I obtain kid's Christmas lists. I then hit Amazon with orders and for the folks that straggle in too close to Christmas my friends and I have a huge WalMart shopping spree. Last year, I think we filled 20 carts with toys.

There are several ways to support us. smile.amazon.com list The Island of Misfit Toys as your charity. Each purchase you make Amazon will donate a % to the charity. Checks can be mailed to The Island of Misfit Toys, 5622 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, Florida 33707.

Or you can donate on Facebook to The Island of Misfit Toys. Log into Facebook

Unlike other sites there are no charges by Facebook so 100% of your donation supports the charity. The charity has no overhead, no salaries and only minor expenses (corporate renewals with the state of florida etc).

It is a great cause and I truly appreciate Vol Nation's support...

If you know a family in need, I will always take those people into the process, as well.

It is time for my yearly bump. The folks of Volnation have come through every year for The Island of Misfit Toys. Many of you know the story, but I will tell it again...

Several years ago, my fiance and realized just how spoiled we were and decided that we would cut down our Christmas lists and adopt a family in need. We began with a woman with 2 young kids who was an accountant, but was working at Waffle House because she was hiding from her abusive ex husband. We provided gifts for her children. Over the next couple years we adopted more families each year (different families) and it kind of caught on in my group of friends who began to donate. I would literally come home to find checks under my door mat.

So, we started The Island of Misfit Toys. It is a legitimate non profit with all the paperwork and what not. The first year we managed to raise enough money to help 50 or so children (I'm firing from memory). The following year we adopted more than 100, but it was bitter sweet as my fiance passed tragically and suddenly on December 11, 2020. Last year, though emotionally difficult, we kept the charity up and running with the help of my friends and family. It was a stellar year as we helped more than 500 kids.

This year, we begin with a goal to exceed last year and for that we need money. The way we work is that I am in contact with schools here and in Tennessee as well as individual families and I obtain kid's Christmas lists. I then hit Amazon with orders and for the folks that straggle in too close to Christmas my friends and I have a huge WalMart shopping spree. Last year, I think we filled 20 carts with toys.

There are several ways to support us. smile.amazon.com list The Island of Misfit Toys as your charity. Each purchase you make Amazon will donate a % to the charity. Checks can be mailed to The Island of Misfit Toys, 5622 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, Florida 33707.

Or you can donate on Facebook to The Island of Misfit Toys. Log into Facebook

Unlike other sites there are no charges by Facebook so 100% of your donation supports the charity. The charity has no overhead, no salaries and only minor expenses (corporate renewals with the state of florida etc).

It is a great cause and I truly appreciate Vol Nation's support...

If you know a family in need, I will always take those people into the process, as well.

What is the fundraiser at Fort Knox? We live close to the base and may show up if our schedule allows

What is the fundraiser at Fort Knox? We live close to the base and may show up if our schedule allows
Fort Knox is a divey beach bar in Redington Beach Florida. It’s a tiny little place that has been really good to my little charity over the years. We raised $9,000 last year at our fundraiser!

We are getting donations daily, but with the inflation this year we will have to raise our spending to provide the same level of giving per child. So... this is a shameless bump for donations by anyone that can afford to do so.

Reactions: newokie03

VN Store

Back