My little charity... needs families to adopt and donations.

ClearwaterVol

As many of you know, I started a charity this year with the goal of adopting families to make sure the kiddos had a good Christmas. Does anyone on the board know of a family that is struggling to provide a good Christmas for their kids. To get an idea of what we are looking for in years past we adopted the family of a battered woman who was hiding from an abusive spouse and had to give up a decent job to do so. Last year we adopted the family in which the father was involved in a terrible motorcycle accident and lost the use of his right arm and was in the hospital from Oct to almost Christmas.

If they are veterans it is a plus.

I'll ask my wife later tonight... she's a teacher at a middle school in the south knox area and often talks about some of the poor children she teaches.

Either way... good on ya for choosing to help others during the holidays!

As many of you know, I started a charity this year with the goal of adopting families to make sure the kiddos had a good Christmas. Does anyone on the board know of a family that is struggling to provide a good Christmas for their kids. To get an idea of what we are looking for in years past we adopted the family of a battered woman who was hiding from an abusive spouse and had to give up a decent job to do so. Last year we adopted the family in which the father was involved in a terrible motorcycle accident and lost the use of his right arm and was in the hospital from Oct to almost Christmas.

If they are veterans it is a plus.

This is wonderful, it’s great knowing there are people in the world like you.
My daughter is a social worker who works with families that have kids in crisis for Pinellas County, she loves what she does.
I will check with her.
Edit: sorry, never mind, I forgot the title was labeled family in Knoxville.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACvol3
My daughter is a social worker who works with families that have kids in crisis for Pinellas County, she loves what she does.
I will check with her.
God bless your daughter. The kind of strength it takes to do that work has to come straight from God.

Reactions: MAD
I spoke to my wife and here are a couple of considerations (no names mentioned).

Family 1: Married couple with 4 children (ages 4 -15?)... my wife taught the two oldest. Father had a bad dirt bike accident in August and nearly severed his lower leg. Has had 4 surgeries and possibly going for another late December due to issues with all the pins/screws required. Has had diverticulitis and possible intestinal surgery due to all the antibiotics. He has always worked for himself so does not have short term disability, and has been out of work since the accident.

Family 2: Married couple with 2 children (9 and 12)... wife taught the oldest. Mom works as a substitute teacher and sells cosmetics, and husband operates heavy equipment and drives a truck. Both parents work hard but do not have much. The well they share with his mother (who they help support) has been broken for over a week and they do not have the money to fix it. They are living without running water so have been showering at friends houses, and filling up jugs of water to bring home.

Not sure if these are what you may have in mind, but these were the first two families that my wife thought of.

I spoke to my wife and here are a couple of considerations (no names mentioned).

Family 1: Married couple with 4 children (ages 4 -15?)... my wife taught the two oldest. Father had a bad dirt bike accident in August and nearly severed his lower leg. Has had 4 surgeries and possibly going for another late December due to issues with all the pins/screws required. Has had diverticulitis and possible intestinal surgery due to all the antibiotics. He has always worked for himself so does not have short term disability, and has been out of work since the accident.

Family 2: Married couple with 2 children (9 and 12)... wife taught the oldest. Mom works as a substitute teacher and sells cosmetics, and husband operates heavy equipment and drives a truck. Both parents work hard but do not have much. The well they share with his mother (who they help support) has been broken for over a week and they do not have the money to fix it. They are living without running water so have been showering at friends houses, and filling up jugs of water to bring home.

Not sure if these are what you may have in mind, but these were the first two families that my wife thought of.
God bless your wife too. Being front and center with families who struggle so much has to take it out of you. Hope you both have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

I will check with her.

I'm looking for families here, as well.

Reactions: vollygirl

I'm interested.

Email me... Hmurphy@jlgtampabay.com

Much respect Clearwater. I don't have much connection to Knoxville anymore except for my 91-year old Mom who still lives there (I pay for her insulin when the Medicare "donut hole" kicks in every year)... But I admire the Good Work you're doing.

Reactions: MAD
Two items: 1) would you mind sharing your charity's information? And, 2) if you end up needing another family, I'm sure I can find one that would fit your criteria. I have a significant number of struggling families in my somewhat-rural practice.

Two items: 1) would you mind sharing your charity's information? And, 2) if you end up needing another family, I'm sure I can find one that would fit your criteria. I have a significant number of struggling families in my somewhat-rural practice.

The name of the charity is The Island of Misfit Toys. 5622 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, FL 33707. we're a Florida corporation and have our 501c3 status.

Let me see if we can take on anymore families, but I'll keep you in mind.

VN Store

Back