My guess at permanent teams after SEC realignment.

If they go with pods, then it would make sense for every team to have a permanent opponent from each of the other pods.

Realistically this is a fair balance for the pods

Pod 1
Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina
Pod 2
Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Pod 3
LSU, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Texas A&M
Pod 4
Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas

Figuring out who plays who is the great challenge
Here are some examples
Florida(Tennessee, LSU, Missouri)
Georgia(Auburn, Ole Miss, Oklahoma)
Tennessee(Florida, Ole Miss, Texas)
Ole Miss(Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas)

They'll probably just play Florida one year and Georgia the next now, etc., etc. or vice versa. The only options under this plan are you play 3 teams every year and all other 12 teams every other year, so no matter what you are going to be playing every team twice in four years.

I hear the scenario will be 3-6-6 (still speculative but that is the one that comes up). If that is the case, we play everyone in the SEC (including Florida and Georgia) every other year. We would get a home-home every 4 years with both.

How about this 4 year SEC schedule for Tennessee:

YEAR ONE
Bama, Vandy, @UK, UGA, MSU, ARK, @OU, @TAMU, @MIZ

YEAR TWO
@bama, @Vandy, UK, UF, LSU, USC, @Tex, @OLE, @AUB

YEAR THREE
Bama, Vandy, @UK, @UGA, @MSU, @ARK, OU, TAMU, MIZ

YEAR FOUR
@bama, @Vandy, UK, @UF, @lsu, @USC, TEX, OLE, AUB

If Sankey and the SEC power structure go to 9 conference games with three permanent rivals and 6 rotators each season when Texas and Oklahoma join in either 2024 or 2025, this is what I think the 3 permanent teams will be for each of the 16 schools.

ALA - AUB, TENN, VAN
ARK - TEX, MIZ, OLE
AUB - ALA, UGA, MSU
FLA - UGA, LSU, USC
KEN - TENN, MSU, VAN
LSU - OLE, TAMU, FLA
MIZ - ARK, USC, OU
OLE - MSU, LSU, ARK
MSU - OLE, KEN, AUB
OU - TEX, TAMU, MIZ
TAMU - TEX, LSU, OU
TENN - ALA, KEN, VAN
TEX - OU, TAMU, ARK
UGA - FLA, AUB, USC
USC - UGA, FLA, MIZ
VAN - TENN, ALA, KEN

Tell me where you think im wrong and/or, if you agree with me, which schools would make out the best and which the worst with my scenario.

I think TN gets Georgia, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

I think TN gets Georgia, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.
No way we don't get Alabama in a 3/6/6 format. I agree on Kentucky and Vanderbilt though. Either way, having 6 rotating opponents out of 9 every year is going to be light years different from our current set up of 1 rotating opponent out of 8.

Reactions: Volfan1000
That's what we have now. We've successfully navigated it once since 92 when we went to divisional play. That's the year we won the Title.

Yes. I understand that. And the reason for my post is that I would rather play those 3 teams each year instead of Bama Kentucky and Vandy. I don't cower at playing the best. Just me though.

If the idea is to play a crazy hard schedule against schools you hate that looks good. If you want all teams to have a balanced schedule and UT to have reasonable shot to make SECCG and CFP-12, you are crazy.

Are you suggesting that Tennessee would not have made a 12 team playoff this past season by playing those 3 teams? And with a 12 team playoff the SECCG will be rendered meaningless.

Are you suggesting that Tennessee would not have made a 12 team playoff this past season by playing those 3 teams? And with a 12 team playoff the SECCG will be rendered meaningless.

If the Vols have to play all three while others only have to play one then I would say their path is exponentially more difficult.

Not impossible but the Vegas odds would not lean to a point where you would believe it to happen often. Look at this year. Despite the strength of schedule people were saying they shouldn’t be in with 1 loss.

Except that winning the SECCG will almost always get you a bye. The 4 highest rated conference champions get byes in the 12 team playoff.

Yep- as stated the SECCG becomes even more vital if that’s possible - the teams with the buys will have one less week of grueling playoff game injuries to deal with. And a week off to heal up. The buy is HUGE.

The winner of the SEC championship will get a first round bye so it's hardly meaningless.

For permanent rivals, we're gonna get Vandy, UK, Bama, like it or not. Neither Vandy or UK has any real rival other than us and each other.

The winner of the SEC championship will get a first round bye so it's hardly meaningless.

For permanent rivals, we're gonna get Vandy, UK, Bama, like it or not. Neither Vandy or UK has any real rival other than us and each other.

Meaningless because after 12 it will go to 16. I'm not arguing with the we will be playing Vandy and Ky forever.... But it won't change the fact that I would prefer Fla and UGA. What freaking big time recruit is clamoring for an official visit for KY and Vandy over UGA and Florida?

Meaningless because after 12 it will go to 16. I'm not arguing with the we will be playing Vandy and Ky forever.... But it won't change the fact that I would prefer Fla and UGA. What freaking big time recruit is clamoring for an official visit for KY and Vandy over UGA and Florida?
I think it'll stop at 12. There will be to many bad games in the first 2 rounds to justify further expansion.

I understand the preference for keeping our current biggest rivals. My point is Tennessee getting UK and Vandy is about them more than us.

With the current setup we'll likely get UF and UGA on alternating years. We will also renew old rivalries with Ole Miss and Auburn more than every five years. With playing every SEC team every other year, it doesn't Sting as bad for me I guess.

Reactions: vols40 and UTwild82
I think it'll stop at 12. There will be to many bad games in the first 2 rounds to justify further expansion.

I understand the preference for keeping our current biggest rivals. My point is Tennessee getting UK and Vandy is about them more than us.

With the current setup we'll likely get UF and UGA on alternating years. We will also renew old rivalries with Ole Miss and Auburn more than every five years. With playing every SEC team every other year, it doesn't Sting as bad for me I guess.

Bad games will not stop them if they continue to sell us in CFP CFP CFP. If anyone is in favor of more than two teams playing for the national championship that is certainly up to you. But I am no longer watching any college football game that Tennessee is not playing in. Jmo.

I will say that I am ok and can live with whatever schedule we get as long as Alabama is still there every year. I was just saying I much prefer Florida and Georgia each year. I know it's crazy but I love the huge big time implications games. I know we have lost more than our share but I still love those games

Texas looks to benefit more than any school...They get thier old traditional rivals back in Arkansas and TAMU....The SEC is going to be CRAZY in a couple of years!...I can't wait!

I’ve said SEC helped Tex & OU a lot more than they helped the SEC. The Iowa-Tex or OU-Purdue rivilaries don’t hold much attention

I will say that I am ok and can live with whatever schedule we get as long as Alabama is still there every year. I was just saying I much prefer Florida and Georgia each year. I know it's crazy but I love the huge big time implications games. I know we have lost more than our share but I still love those games
We'll still have one of them every year and they'll be more big time games with west teams. I think Tennessee will actually play in more marquee games this way. Sometimes change is good.

I think you won't see ratings for the first two rounds of the playoff. I expect contraction to 8 before expansion to 16. Lord knows I don't care about a lot of teams outside the SEC. I imagine it'll be the same for a lot of folks.

Last edited:
ALA - AUB, TENN, LSU
ARK - TEX, OLE, MIZ
AUB - ALA, UGA, LSU
FLA - UGA, LSU, USC
KEN - TENN, USC, MSU
LSU - ALA, AU, FLA
MIZ - ARK, OU, TAMU
OLE - MSU, ARK, VAN
MSU - OLE, KEN, VAN
OU - TEX, TAMU, MIZ
TAMU - TEX, OU, MIZ