My grandfather WWII veteran interview

Super cool!!! I just put his book on my Amazon wish list! Definitely appreciate the sacrifices so many have made for this great country!!!

Super cool!!! I just put his book on my Amazon wish list! Definitely appreciate the sacrifices so many have made for this great country!!!

I truly appreciate that but this is in no way a promotion to sell the book.

Personally I didn’t know he’s a part of the 2% that’s still with us. I will forever be grateful for everything he did to keep us free. Some stories I know some I will never know because no he doesent want to relive them.

Personally I didn’t know he’s a part of the 2% that’s still with us. I will forever be grateful for everything he did to keep us free. Some stories I know some I will never know because no he doesent want to relive them.

My father was in WW2. He was also tight lipped about the war. The only things I recall him saying was "it was horrible " and "France was destroyed. Women were selling themselves to feed their children".
I've never meet a vet that talked about the war. Born in 52. OTOH, ptsd?

Reactions: AllVols
My father was in WW2. He was also tight lipped about the war. The only things I recall him saying was "it was horrible " and "France was destroyed. Women were selling themselves to feed their children".

No, it’s just the way he’s always been. He won’t even talk to my mom about it other than the stories he’s willing to share.

What did your father do In the war if you don’t mind me asking?

AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing. I will be hunting that book down and getting it. Cherish him and whatever stories he's willing to share.

Reactions: Dudleys87

I didn’t think it was. I just love stuff like this and truly appreciate his sacrifice!!

No, it’s just the way he’s always been. He won’t even talk to my mom about it other than the stories he’s willing to share.

What did your father do In the war if you don’t mind me asking?

I meant that many WW2 vets possibly suffered from what we now call PTSD. All but the worst just lived with it.

My father was a marine. He went in 44 so the tide had turned, and he was out of Europe soon, and went to the Pacific. He was on several ships. He never talked about it, but later he went to reunions and visited some of the ships he was on.
He stayed in and was at Camp Lejune when I was born.

After the war he had a job at Oak Ridge, and I never knew what he did there. So he was somewhat of a mystery to me.

I meant that many WW2 vets possibly suffered from what we now call PTSD. All but the worst just lived with it.

My father was a marine. He went in 44 so the tide had turned, and he was out of Europe soon, and went to the Pacific. He was on several ships. He never talked about it, but later he went to reunions and visited some of the ships he was on.

After the war he had a job at Oak Ridge, and I never knew what he did there. So he was somewhat of a mystery to me.

oak ridge military academy in NC?

Thank you for sharing! I’m sure he was a great man and thank him for his service. My grandfather has a radio man in the B52s. In 2016 I believe it was he was the recipient of the French Medal of Honor. At the time I had no idea there was one and got to meet Gov. McCory. He’s one of my hero’s and im sure if you asked him today he’d reenlist if his body would let him.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Thank you for sharing! I’m sure he was a great man and thank him for his service. My grandfather has a radio man in the B52s. In 2016 I believe it was he was the recipient of the French Medal of Honor. At the time I had no idea there was one and got to meet Gov. McCory. He’s one of my hero’s and im sure if you asked him today he’d reenlist if his body would let him.

B52? you mean B17 or even the B29's late war?

There is a reason they call them "America's greatest generation".

The French are appreciative of what we did for them. OTOH, they are tired of horrible wars (WW1 AND 2) being fought on their land and the destruction.
I have a friend who's step father was hidden in France by a young girl, and wrote about it. My friend was able to go to France many years later and found her. She was about 90. He went just wanting to see the places his step father wrote about.

My grandfather was a marine and refused to talk about it. My mom would beg him when she was younger, she told me, and finally he told her one story.

He was on patrol and they went into a cave where the Japanese were skinning a US soldier alive. They killed all the Japanese and as he tried to continue telling the story he couldn’t. He just set there and cried. He said the entire war was hell. My mom thinks he killed his fellow soldier in the cave to help stop the pain. But she isn’t sure.

He became an alcoholic when he came back she said and was never the same.

Reactions: Go aeiou
My grandfather was a marine and refused to talk about it. My mom would beg him when she was younger, she told me, and finally he told her one story.

He was on patrol and they went into a cave where the Japanese were skinning a US soldier alive. They killed all the Japanese and as he tried to continue telling the story he couldn’t. He just set there and cried. He said the entire war was hell. My mom thinks he killed his fellow soldier in the cave to help stop the pain. But she isn’t sure.

He became an alcoholic when he came back she said and was never the same.

You can certainly tell when they touch on things that bring back certain memories they’ve tried to bury for years. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to come across some of things they saw or the feelings they had to push aside to see the mission through.

Sry to hear that he used alcohol to that degree. I have a friend who’s grandfather was a marine and he says that a lot of guys went willingly and knowing full well the chances of them coming back alive weren’t high. Brave and fearless men they are and were.

Reactions: Go aeiou and NEO
AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing. I will be hunting that book down and getting it. Cherish him and whatever stories he's willing to share.

Anytime, I’m grateful for the responses from fellow members of this board and want to again say this was not posted to push a sale.

Anytime he’s at a family gathering I always ask and he tells me what he wants me to know. I never push because I feel like there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed if that makes sense.

I posted your link on a couple of boards that are frequented by gun enthusists and veterans. Might sell you a few books.

So cool. I have some journals and then some typed pages from later years from my grandfather that I hadn't read in years. I went out to the garage and pulled his box from the shelves to reread. Seeing the pic of the draft list from the link reminded me of his typed letters that were on that old thin typing paper. You can feel the indentions the typewrite made. Thanks for sharing this link and reminding me of my grandpa.

So cool. I have some journals and then some typed pages from later years from my grandfather that I hadn't read in years. I went out to the garage and pulled his box from the shelves to reread. Seeing the pic of the draft list from the link reminded me of his typed letters that were on that old thin typing paper. You can feel the indentions the typewrite made. Thanks for sharing this link and reminding me of my grandpa.

Anytime, glad I caused some good things from this

VN Store

Back