My gosh. What a tribute

My wife played against Catch when Catch was at Duncanville HS. She has several interesting stories. Here's one:

Catch had the first nationally recorded quintiple double in HS basketball. Catch's next game was against my wife and her team and my wife drew the defensive assignment. Catch had a bit of an off night from the floor and the wife was proud with how she defended Catch. My wife took a look at the stat sheet after the game and Catch had something like 13 points, 14 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 steals, 6 blocks. On an off night from the floor, Catch was 3 steals and 4 blocks away from back to back quintuple doubles.

“On the day that I first met Tamika, I knew that I wanted her at Tennessee. Initially, I set out to recruit her simply on the basis of her talent, but after just a few minutes of conversation, I practically wanted to adopt her.”—Pat Summitt from Raise the Roof by Pat Summitt (with Sally Jenkins)

’That afternoon, when we left Wanda Catchings’ apartment, I sat in the car and said to Mickie, “It’s going to kill me if we don’t get that kid. It’s going to kill me.”’—Pat Summitt from Raise the Roof by Pat Summitt (with Sally Jenkins)

As a coach there are those rare a occasions when you come across an athlete who embodies what your ideal picture of what an athlete is or could be. The truth is that most athletes you coach will only possess some of what you pour into them to various degrees, but every once in a rare while there comes an athlete that surpasses all that you hoped for, and truly become a living legacy of your coaching in all its dimensions. The history of the Lady Vols program is riddled star and superstars, and their fingerprints can be found throughout the entirety of women's basketball, but for me, Tamika Catchings will always be my favorite and greatest Lady Vol. I have not seen or know of any of the great Lady Vol who embodies more of the great teachings of Coach Pat Head Summitt than Tamika Cathings. There are few players that come along and inspires peoples across different generations, races, genders, and professions than Tamika Catchings. I can honestly say that one of the great blessings of life is to be alive and share the same time and space as Tamika Catchings, a true role model, but a far greater human being. Thank you, and God Bless you Tamika Cathings.

As a coach there are those rare a occasions when you come across an athlete who embodies what your ideal picture of what an athlete is or could be. The truth is that most athletes you coach will only possess some of what you pour into them to various degrees, but every once in a rare while there comes an athlete that surpasses all that you hoped for, and truly become a living legacy of your coaching in all its dimensions. The history of the Lady Vols program is riddled star and superstars, and their fingerprints can be found throughout the entirety of women's basketball, but for me, Tamika Catchings will always be my favorite and greatest Lady Vol. I have not seen or know of any of the great Lady Vol who embodies more of the great teachings of Coach Pat Head Summitt than Tamika Cathings. There are few players that come along and inspires peoples across different generations, races, genders, and professions than Tamika Catchings. I can honestly say that one of the great blessings of life is to be alive and share the same time and space as Tamika Catchings, a true role model, but a far greater human being. Thank you, and God Bless you Tamika Cathings.

Beautifully and perfectly said. There is no other human on earth like Tamika. 🧡

It never hit me until this weekend that Catchings is the first and only Lady Vol player to be inducted into the HOF. Pretty surprising with the long list of All-Americans, national champions, and Olympians to come from the program. I'm guessing Parker will be the second...

It never hit me until this weekend that Catchings is the first and only Lady Vol player to be inducted into the HOF. Pretty surprising with the long list of All-Americans, national champions, and Olympians to come from the program. I'm guessing Parker will be the second...
Chamique Holdsclaw should be in it but her WNBA career wasnt as good as Parker's or Catchings

Arguably the best player of all time in the W. I’ve said it for years. She took a team of nobodies and won a championship. Several advanced statistics show she was better than Diana Taurasi. A whole article came out about it a few years ago. Truly is an amazing lady.

VN Store

Back