My biggest hope/Longshot for 2019

I'll give it a shot
GSU W 51-17 Offense goes wild
BYU L 31-27 Defense fails the first test
UTC W 59-10 Offense runs wild
UF L 41-31 Gators find a way late
UGA L 31-21 Not there yet
MSU W 24-21 Defense shines. MSU Offense not great
BAMA L 45-24 Gas off the pedal in the early 3rd.
USC W 31-21 Late TO and TD seals it.
UAB W 41-24 Trap game
UK W 38-34 A classic. Vols hold on.
MISS L 31-27 Hangover. Slow start kills Vols.
VANDY W 31-28 The streak ends.
If UT loses to a mediocre mid-major in the 2nd game... their ceiling is 4 games and Pruitt is on an instant hotseat.

If UT loses to a mediocre mid-major in the 2nd game... their ceiling is 4 games and Pruitt is on an instant hotseat.
It wouldn't surprise me. Like I said before, BYU upset Wisconsin, at Wisconsin, early in 2018. If it happens, I am not going to panic. BYU is no cupcake, for us, at this point.

I wouldn't say Pruitt would be on the hot seat but what's with all these folks picking BYU?? Seriously, ok they beat Wisconsin big deal, I don't see it but unfortunately we have about 8 months to discuss it

It wouldn't surprise me. Like I said before, BYU upset Wisconsin, at Wisconsin, early in 2018. If it happens, I am not going to panic. BYU is no cupcake, for us, at this point.
And lost to every other team with a pulse including a beat down by Utah State and lost 7-6 to Northern Illinois

Yeah it's gonna get younger before it gets a whole lot better. There will probably be some unfair expectations placed on the newcomers as most of them will be expected to contribute early because of depth issues that continue to linger.

Thats wat I am saying. I know we are expected to get Wright and I hope we do, but assuming that 2 true FR will just be automatic upgrades is a tall order. Like I have said, we have all ripped Richmond, but the scary thing is,nobody was good enough to beat him out. I think we just have to hope another year. In the S&C program will pay dividends.

Thats wat I am saying. I know we are expected to get Wright and I hope we do, but assuming that 2 true FR will just be automatic upgrades is a tall order. Like I have said, we have all ripped Richmond, but the scary thing is,nobody was good enough to beat him out. I think we just have to hope another year. In the S&C program will pay dividends.
Nobody good enough to beat him out.. Weird way of putting it. I guess it's not wrong.

I'd rather him still be here for depth with as young as we're gonna get.

I think the o line will improve. There's no where to go but up, and the returners should benefit from just getting in to year two. Hopefully.

Some of you guys act like building an OL is a 20 year process. The development and S&C under Jones were horrible. But two years is enough time to start seeing some significant positive changes. The improvement curve should be much steeper early also. If the OL doesn't take a significant step forward and especially with Chaney... then CJP is probably not "the guy".

Part of the problem is the whole iron sharpening iron issue.

Improvement isn’t just related to the things you mentioned.

It also comes from your position being threatened by the guy behind you and who you have to go against in practice.

Part of the reason Clemson and Alabama are dominant right now is that they aren’t going to see anyone on Saturday better than what they see in practice.

It’s really difficult right now for Tennessee’s lines of scrimmage to improve based on what they go against in practice.

Imagine what it’s like when 1’s go against 2’s

This is something that people overlook. Your simple statement should be a good indicator of where our team is. I expect 2019 to be a disappointing year for people who think we win 9 games. 2020...surely things start taking shape. JMO

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
This is something that people overlook. Your simple statement should be a good indicator of where our team is. I expect 2019 to be a disappointing year for people who think we win 9 games. 2020...surely things start taking shape. JMO

Completely agree. I mean factor in that Trey Smith had to play out of position because again, we didnt have anyone good enough to play RT. Thats why I think 2020 or 2021 will be when we see a significant step forward. Saying that Pruitt should be on the hotseat this year for any reason is just beyond insane.

I didn't ask, I said it would happen and it will. This coming season is going to surprising, maddening, outrageous, cardiac, sweet, sour, even pungent yet a relief when it's finally over and done with. We're going to have moments of horror and moments of fantasy. Adventures that even Mighty Mouse never had during his wildest Oilcan Harry days. Leaving many of us wondering, "What the hale was that!!??

Ok we win at Floridee and the rest of the year mirrors last year?
What the Hale was that?

Ok. Your premise is Pruitt should be on the hotseat if we lose to BYU right?
No. My premise is that if he develops and coaches the team up the way required for a coach to be successful at UT then UT's talent will not lose to BYU's talent. If he does not then it is unlikely he makes even 6 wins next fall... and two losing seasons to start his tenure will put him on a hot seat.

And I didn't say what "should" happen... but rather what I think is likely. I noticed that you changed my words so that they fit the objection you wanted to make.

Understand now? While you may not agree... that is NOT ridiculous. In fact, it is consistent with what we've seen happen over time.

PS- I still like Pruitt. I like that he's a coach and not a showman. I like that he doesn't appear to care for the press. I like that the kids seem to know where they stand with him. I like that he has a "win or die" attitude... but the standards nor the historic patterns change just because I like him.

Reactions: Behr
Part of the problem is the whole iron sharpening iron issue.

Improvement isn’t just related to the things you mentioned.

It also comes from your position being threatened by the guy behind you and who you have to go against in practice.

Part of the reason Clemson and Alabama are dominant right now is that they aren’t going to see anyone on Saturday better than what they see in practice.

It’s really difficult right now for Tennessee’s lines of scrimmage to improve based on what they go against in practice.

Imagine what it’s like when 1’s go against 2’s
So you are saying that no one with a bad DL has a good OL or that no one is thin at OL but has a solid starting 5?

So you are saying that no one with a bad DL has a good OL or that no one is thin at OL but has a solid starting 5?

I’m saying that when you compete against quality players it makes you better.

When you have to fight for your spot in the lineup, it makes you better.

The example I used was that a player at Alabama or Clemson is probably challenged more in practice by a teammate than they are on most Saturdays in the fall and it’s a big deal.

Maybe you buy into that and maybe you don’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
In spite of some mistakes he made, the offense scored more points while he was playing. They moved the ball better. He made some bad decisions... but he made them and made them on time.

He tried to play injured vs UGA and had surgery right after he lost the job. You and I do not know why he quit the team. He wasn't taking as much of a beating as JG. My suspicion from the start of that "competition" is that Jones wanted JG to win it... and held it open until he could declare that he had. if you'll remember... there was no more discussion of a "competition" after JG was named the starter... only before. If I were in QD's place and knew my coach wanted the other guy and would never place confidence in me even if I won the job fair and square... I'd probably move on too.

I didn't check your numbers. Did you count the sacks and pass plays where the QB scrambled for positive yardage on a pass play? None the less. Using your numbers... QD took one sack for every 59 pass attempts. JG took one for every 11 pass attempts.

Their yds per game are very close when you consider that JG got PT when QD was the starter. To your point, QD made mistakes. He also put pressure on the receivers by attempting to throw them open that exposed their weaknesses. One of the INT's vs UF on the goal line comes to mind. The receiver simply didn't get off coverage. QD made the pre-read and threw to the right spot... the receiver just didn't get to the spot.

JG... didn't throw passes like that which plays into his ineffectiveness. Timing throws and anticipated throws are the kind that extend drives and force D's out of certain coverages and blitzes.

Points scored. Games won. Drives extended. A LOT of his completions were short passes given to him by D's to end drives.

You're right. Add making quicker decisions... and you pretty much agree with what I said earlier.
Just reachin now son. JG is a better qb than dormady. Accept it

Reactions: k-town_king
Well... if you insist.

51QkPpWcj6L._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Volnation is mojoworld

Back to the offensive line. Losing Jack Jones, Chance Hall and finally Kennedy and the teams' best player, Trey Smith really doomed the offense. Butch seemed to sign too many tall lean white kids for OL who needed to gain 30 or 40 pounds to compete in the SEC. These were Big East Recruits at best. No top quality depth was ever built and Tennessee's mediocre high school talent base continually makes it tough. Drew Richmond did not surprise me as so many highly rated kids from Memphis prove to be overrated. Wanya Morris looks like the real deal and possibly the strength program will create some surprises. It will be very interesting to see what Chaney, Friend, and Tee can put together taking over the worst offense in the sec.

Reactions: BucksnortVol

VN Store

Back