My (belated) Rocky Top scrimmage report

Yves looks to have grown a couple of inches. He's standing next to brock Jancek and olivier who are both listed at 6-8, and he's every bit as tall as them. Pember doesn't look as tall as I thought he was as well.

I've learned over the years to go by the height of the shoulders which indicates things like frame size and reach, etc.

Reactions: Roustabout
I've learned over the years to go by the height of the shoulders which indicates things like frame size and reach, etc.
That's actually how I was comparing them believe it or not. Pember's shoulders are a little lower than the other big men, but he also has a very long neck. Yves' shoulders are right there with both the guys next to him.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I'm really encouraged by what I saw.

Olivier, the frosh from Finland, is really super athletic and smooth. Built like a rock and can really leap and slash. I didn't realize he was so quick. I read somewhere that he was a 6'4" PG not too long ago, and then shot up 4 inches, so he can handle the ball too. Maybe most surprising is he is really skilled down low -- has a great "old man" game. On one play he curled across the lane with Plavsic on his hip and dropped in a baby hook overt the top like Plavsic wasn't even there. He is a really smooth player -- already looks like a vet.

As for Plavsic, he has a good outside touch and can move very well for somebody that size. Also fairly stout. I'm sure he's working hard to get more physical down low -- he's not really a hard-nosed banger yet, at least in the 20 minutes I saw. Probably from growing up with the European finesse style. Though he looks fairly strong on the boards. Don't think he will be the presence on D that Alexander was. I doubt he can get off the floor as quick as Kyle, but he will probably be serviceable and plays smart position ball.

Lamonte and Bowden both looked pretty much like you'd expect, though I don't think Lamonte gets up for scrimmages much. He missed most of his 3 pointers, but did a lot of drives and up and under stuff around the rim.

Pember looks like he's 6'10", but didn't show out much. I've heard he's been hurt a lot. He can move well for his size.

I think Kent will be a contributor -- he's beefed up some and hustles on D. Seems to know where to be on both offense and D and gets there in a hurry. Has a good-looking 3 point shot.

Fulky looked bulkier, and he didn't seem so rushed on offense, which showed up in his better control around the bucket. Actually worked to post people up and showed he can hit some mid-range jumpers. Even took one 3 that I remember, but missed it.

I like the transfer from Oregon, too, Bailey. He can't play this year, but he's athletic and looks to be a big strong guard, that kind we seemed to lack so often in the past when playing tough teams with strong guards. Good shooter too.

Josiah James didn't play, but he sure looks the part. Built like a senior already, just like ORN.

Gaines apparently played, but must've been few minutes as I didn't notice him. Looked good in warmups -- a skinny gym rat.

And maybe the biggest surprise was Pons. He was all over the floor. Hit 2 threes, made several steals and a dunk, actually slashed to the bucket without losing the ball on at least one occasion. He even posted somebody up -- I forget who, maybe Fulky, and did a smooth up and under to score. He looks to be pretty improved. An observer who knew nothing about the team might have picked him as the MVP of the scrimmage. Stat stuffer, at least last Friday night.

Everybody hustled and played reasonably tight D for a scrimmage. I'm probably forgetting someone, but I think we are going to be fine for getting back to the tournament, maybe even if Plavsic can't play. These guys are ALL long and have lots of athleticism.

Thank you OP

Yes, who cares how long your neck is. Pember is taller than Fulk at the top of his head but his shoulders are lower.
ORN is the only one I was hoping was a little taller. I was hoping for a legit 6’8” but he looks to be the exact same height as Ponz.

Yes, who cares how long your neck is. Pember is taller than Fulk at the top of his head but his shoulders are lower.
ORN is the only one I was hoping was a little taller. I was hoping for a legit 6’8” but he looks to be the exact same height as Ponz.
I thought the same thing. He looks short (relatively speaking), especially standing next to Uros.

I thought the same thing. He looks short (relatively speaking), especially standing next to Uros.
Pons, Jancek and Olivier all appear to be pretty much the same height...Jancek and Olivier are listed at 6’8”, Pons 6’6”...so are all three 6’6” or did Pons grow and is not closer to 6’8”? Or is it the fact that Pons traps are insanely huge and thus his shoulder/jersey height appears to be even with guys 2” taller?

Pons, Jancek and Olivier all appear to be pretty much the same height...Jancek and Olivier are listed at 6’8”, Pons 6’6”...so are all three 6’6” or did Pons grow and is not closer to 6’8”? Or is it the fact that Pons traps are insanely huge and thus his shoulder/jersey height appears to be even with guys 2” taller?
Posture has to be figured in also. If not Fulky looks taller than Kent. You know their measurements are accurate . we used to complain they listed them without shoes. just sayin.

Not sure. Don't even care as long as they can ball.

VN Store

Back