Munson has blood clot removed from brain (merged)

Athensvol

Munson has blood clot removed from brain

Legendary voice of Bulldogs expected to call home games this fall

By CHIP TOWERS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/05/08

Athens -- Larry Munson is down, but he's not out.

The legendary voice of the Georgia Bulldogs underwent brain surgery Friday but is expected to make a full recovery and still plans on calling football games this fall, according to UGA and WSB Radio.

Munson, 85, was admitted to St. Mary's Hospital for tests on Thursday and a CT scan revealed a subdural hematoma -- or blood clots -- on his brain. Surgery to correct the problem was performed on Friday and Munson was recovering and resting comfortably Saturday, according to people who have visited him.

Radio officials became concerned Thursday when Munson struggled with his weekly on-air segment "Larry Munson Inside on Sports" on WSB and other stations on the Georgia network. WSB pulled his spots Friday until further notice.

"I saw him after the [G-Day] game and [he] was happy to hear that Caleb King did as well as he did," said Neil "Hondo" Williamson, who is WSB radio's director of sports marketing and works with Munson on the Bulldogs' broadcasts. "He smiled real big when he saw that."

Williamson said they still expect Munson to call Georgia's home games this fall. Munson, 85 and in failing health, quit going on the road with the Bulldogs last season. He was originally scheduled to call the G-Day game but pulled out last week because he was not feeling well.

Munson is scheduled to do his 43rd season of Georgia football this fall. "Of course we're hopeful he'll be able to do it," Williamson said.

Munson, who began calling Georgia football games in 1966, has achieved rock-star-like fame among Bulldogs' fans for his passionate play-by-play and unforgettable calls on historic plays.

"Run, Lindsay, run!" he implored Lindsay Scott on his 93-yard touchdown catch to beat Florida in the 1980 national championship season. When Georgia upset Tennessee in 2001, he said the Bulldogs "just stepped on their face with a hobnail boot and broke their nose. We just crushed their face."

Munson's family and his attending medical staff ask that his fans respect his privacy during his recovery. Anyone wishing to send cards or letters to him is asked to send them to the following address: Larry Munson, c/o UGA Athletic Association, P.O. Box 1472, Athens, GA 30603.

"I was really pleased to hear that Larry's surgery went well on Friday," athletics director Damon Evans said in statement released by UGA. "All of us in the Bulldog Nation wish him a full and speedy recovery."

Munson received the Furman Bisher Award from the Atlanta Sports Council this year for a lifetime achievement in sports broadcasting and was named him an Honorary Letterman by the Bulldogs last season. He also has been honored by the National Football Foundation, the College Hall of Fame, the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, the Georgia Association of Broadcasters and the Georgia State Legislature.

Not a big fan of Munson as many of you know, but I hope him the best and speedy recoery, especially in St Mary's after having been there myself about a month ago.

he said the Bulldogs "just stepped on their face with a hobnail boot and broke their nose. We just crushed their face."

You could of left that part out, but in all seriousness I hope he is okay.

Yeah, I have to listen to that call on the radio about 100 times or more a year here, especially when UT plays UGA.:cray:

"That blood clot just stepped on Munson's face with a hobnail boot! It just crushed his face!"

(Remind me to revisit this terrible joke when Munson eventually goes, when it's in even worse taste.)

"That blood clot just stepped on Munson's face with a hobnail boot! It just crushed his face!"

(Remind me to revisit this terrible joke when Munson eventually goes, when it's in even worse taste.)
I hear you man. I don't wish ill health on anyone, but I'll never forgive Munson for that call.

And as far as announcing goes, Munson can't hold a candle to Ward.

I hear you man. I don't wish ill health on anyone, but I'll never forgive Munson for that call.

And as far as announcing goes, Munson can't hold a candle to Ward.

I like Larry Munson, in theory; I just don't like him very much when I'm in the car for a few minutes and I flip on a UGA game with the hope of finding out what's going on in the game. I posted on Munson vs. Ward here , and I don't have anything to add to it. Other than to say that, while I hope Larry Munson lives forever, if and when he DOES happen to die, I will probably gleefully haul out the "LIVER FAILURE/CANCER/GUNSHOT WOUND STEPS ON MUNSON WITH A HOBNAIL BOOT!" jokes. He's earned it, and honestly I think he'd probably laugh at it.

Here's to Munsons eveywhere!

munson.gif

Munson is the last of a dying beed of announcer. You guys should enjoy him while he's still here; regardless of what team he calls for.

Munson bobblehead proceeds designated for scholarship

By CHIP TOWERS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/11/08

Athens — When Rob Ellis came up with the idea of creating a Larry Munson bobblehead doll, he did so with the thought of how much money could be made.

Now that the idea is a reality, neither he nor Munson are going to make a dime — and that's just the way they want it.

At Munson's request, all proceeds from the new bobblehead doll, which is coming soon to a store near you, will go to the Noah Harris Memorial Scholarship Fund.

Harris, a former Georgia cheerleading captain who befriended Munson while attending UGA, was killed in Iraq in June of 2005. Harris, an officer in the U.S. Army, was 23.

"Larry has always been a huge supporter of the cheerleaders, and the first or second time I met with him to talk about this he said he wanted all his money to go to Noah's scholarship," said Ellis, an insurance broker who lives in Savannah. "When he said that I got to thinking, 'Well, I don't want to make any money on it if he's not going to.'

"So I decided I'd do the same thing. We took it to Georgia, and they said they'd do it, too. So that's how it got started, and it just kind of grew from there."

This is not your average bobblehead. It's more of a seven-inch statue than plastic toy. It's a remarkable likeness of Munson in the 1980s, and it reproduces some of his greatest calls. Flick a switch between the feet of Bobblehead Larry, and he'll growl out five of his most famous calls: "Run Lindsay," "Hobnail Boot," "Sugar Falling Out of the Sky," "Oh, You Herschel Walker" and "Oh, God a Touchdown!"

Ellis said the bobbleheads are in the very early stages of distribution. They are expected to retail between $25 and $30, and only a limited number — about 5,000 — will be sold.

Initially, they will be available on the UGA athletics Web site, but eventually will be sold wherever UGA retail products are offered.

Munson, the Bulldogs' legendary play-by-play man for 43 years, was hospitalized late last week and underwent brain surgery last Friday. He remains hospitalized this week, but is expected to make a full recovery.

"He was involved from the very beginning, [from] conceptuals [and] artists renderings, and we brought up a clay mock-up," Elllis said. "He saw the finished version, laughed and said, 'That's pretty good.' "

Family and friends of Harris were blown away that Munson would designate all the proceeds to their scholarship fund. Munson, football coach Mark Richt, swimming coach Jack Bauerle and UGA spirit coordinator Shelly Korpieski O'Brien were instrumental in getting the scholarship started after Harris' death. But they remain well short of the $150,000 needed to fully endow it.

"It's taking a while," said O'Brien, who cheered with Harris and co-captained the 2001 squad with him. "Actually, Munson approached me about endowing a scholarship in Noah's name a few years ago, and he and his fishing buddies vowed to get it done. We're about halfway there, so this should help a lot."

O'Brien received one of the first Munson bobbleheads off the assembly line in the mail from Ellis last week. She offered a glowing review.

"I sat and played with it about 30 minutes as soon as I got it," O'Brien said. "It really is great."

VN Store

Back