Multi-sport recruits and counts toward scholarships

TN_Transplant

It seems that we may have a few athletes in this recruiting class that could possibly play ( and may want to play ) multiple sports. I think maybe a couple of potential basketball players, a potential baseball player, etc.

My question is, how does that help or hurt with scholarship counts? Could we sign one to say a Baseball scholarship and he not count against football, or would he still count?

Likewise, with the two guys that CJP mentioned that will have a shot at Basketball, will they count against Football or Basketball?

Last edited:
Reactions: sport3500
It seems that we may have a few athletes in this recruiting class that could possibly play ( and may want to play ) multiple sports. I think maybe a couple of potential basketball players, a potential baseball player, etc.

My question is, how does that help or hurt with scholarship counts? Could we sign one to say a Baseball scholarship he not count against football, or would he still count?
If play football have to use football scholarship. Football trumps all other sports

It's great they want to play basketball, but these sports overlap so much, it doesn't seem like they would be able to provide much help other than a few minutes relief. I don't see how they could get up to speed fast enough to contribute. Good gosh, have you seen those 5* basketball recruits that are coming in next season for Barnes!!

But then again, I"m not 19-20 years ago and can almost touch my head on the rim like those 2 dudes can. :D

Reactions: RollerVol

My question is, how does that help or hurt with scholarship counts? Could we sign one to say a Baseball scholarship and he not count against football, or would he still count?

Likewise, with the two guys that CJP mentioned that will have a shot at Basketball, will they count against Football or Basketball?
It has been posted several times on this board, that if you practice/play football, you have to be signed to a football scholarship. If you are signed to a football scholarship. you can, with th football coache's approval, play any other male sport at your school. This is the ONLY way it works. Therefore, the non football male sports can/will benefit by not haveing to use a baseball, track, basketball etc. scholarship for football players to play a second or third sport.

Ray Mears had Howard Bayne on the BB team,who was also a big tough FB player.He would go into the game at times and knock some people around at times Mears was one of a kind coach.

VN Store

Back