Much Aidoo About Nothing

With our more dynamic 3 guard combo and adding a legit rim protector, and JJJ at the 4 could really start to pay off before next year. Really surprised how mature/confident/fluid he seems as a frosh. BHH going to be a force too, but early on it seems the light went on for Aidoo earlier.

With our more dynamic 3 guard combo and adding a legit rim protector, and JJJ at the 4 could really start to pay off before next year. Really surprised how mature/confident/fluid he seems as a frosh. BHH going to be a force too, but early on it seems the light went on for Aidoo earlier.
BHH you can tell watching him he is just a half step hesitant with each move he makes

Reactions: lenoxvol
Aidoo reminds me of Kyle Alexander. Slim, needs weight, but has a lot of skill. Aidoo is ahead of Alexander at this point in their careers in orange. I’m willing to bet Aidoo gains some weight and goes pro before his NCAA clock is up.

Aidoo reminds me of Kyle Alexander. Slim, needs weight, but has a lot of skill. Aidoo is ahead of Alexander at this point in their careers in orange. I’m willing to bet Aidoo gains some weight and goes pro before his NCAA clock is up.

My minds eye tells me that Aidoo is ahead of Alexander in both strength and quickness and that is with him dealing with an extended illness as they say. KA had a redshirt year as I remember. His ability to hedge out high and then get back to the blocks defensively is a critical part of our defense. His footwork the other night was stellar and if he did give up a lane he did not wildly overreact and foul like a lot of young guys do, but continued to try and use his length and those long arms to protect the rim.

As I pointed out in another thread, we have been excited about the production of a 5'9" kid because of his youth, but this 6'11" kid is almost a half a year younger. He is not THERE yet, but he has a chance to add some good weight, keep his speed and quickness, and use his incredible reach to become a great defensive player. Offense, other than put backs is TBD, but he has not looked like he has to defeat any brick layer tendencies and reportedly has a good mid-range game and a solid handle. My aging Orange glasses are firmly in place.

My minds eye tells me that Aidoo is ahead of Alexander in both strength and quickness and that is with him dealing with an extended illness as they say. KA had a redshirt year as I remember. His ability to hedge out high and then get back to the blocks defensively is a critical part of our defense. His footwork the other night was stellar and if he did give up a lane he did not wildly overreact and foul like a lot of young guys do, but continued to try and use his length and those long arms to protect the rim.

As I pointed out in another thread, we have been excited about the production of a 5'9" kid because of his youth, but this 6'11" kid is almost a half a year younger. He is not THERE yet, but he has a chance to add some good weight, keep his speed and quickness, and use his incredible reach to become a great defensive player. Offense, other than put backs is TBD, but he has not looked like he has to defeat any brick layer tendencies and reportedly has a good mid-range game and a solid handle. My aging Orange glasses are firmly in place.

I don’t think KA ever redshirted, I think we had to play him some as a freshman due to numbers being so thin in the post. Agree with everything else, I’m sure Aidoo having mono set him back quite a bit in S&C.

definitely agree. I don't know who I'd compare Aidoo to early on. Small sample size...but in reality, for this year, if we can keep him on a pace of 7 rebounds and 3 blocks per game, that gives us what we need so teams don't just drive the paint on us. Additionally, I noticed when Chandler and ZZ are in the game, as good as they are on offense, they really do a great job of denying the lanes to the basket.

Reactions: lenoxvol
Good article about Jonas in the KNS this morning with a big picture supposedly showing him shooting over Thiebwe. And the caption says it’s Jonas. Too bad it’s #2 (BHH) doing the shooting. Sometimes I wonder if anybody pays attention at these newspapers anymore.

I don’t think KA ever redshirted, I think we had to play him some as a freshman due to numbers being so thin in the post. Agree with everything else, I’m sure Aidoo having mono set him back quite a bit in S&C.
Mononucleosis is a bitch. Had it my freshman year in HS.

Aidoo is currently 10 lbs heavier than Alexander was as a senior. I wouldn't call him slim, necessarily. Commentary on his size seems a little overblown, though he needs to add some muscle in his upper body. Mono probably hurt him in that area. He has a good frame and will likely add 10-15 lbs.

Hot take but he may only be here for one more season. His measurables will have scouts salivating. He has the frame to gain a lot of good weight too.

If he can show he can consistently shoot from outside he'll be a fringe lottery pick. Myles Turner type of 3&D prospect.

Reactions: The Dog
According to Basilio, the Aidoo family was hoping he would rs. First I had heard about that.
His redshirt had already been burned. He played in a couple of the early OOC games in garbage time. In basketball your redshirt is burned the moment you check into any game. The only redshirt he could’ve gotten after that is a medical redshirt if he had a season ending injury. But now that he’s played in the second half of the season, that’s off the table too.

His redshirt had already been burned. He played in a couple of the early OOC games in garbage time. In basketball your redshirt is burned the moment you check into any game. The only redshirt he could’ve gotten after that is a medical redshirt if he had a season ending injury. But now that he’s played in the second half of the season, that’s off the table too.

What does that have to do with his family hoping he would RS though?

Reactions: orangemadam
Has a great shooting stroke too. Think he’ll eventually be able to stretch the floor for us. Assuming BHH stays, having him and Aidoo at the 4/5 could be such a good and hard tandem of bigs to match up against if they both continue to develop. They seem to really like each other too, Aidoo offhand called bhh his nickname gup so casually in one media session recently it was adorable

Yeah, you are right I am sure.... he wanted to and could not pull it off. Still believe this guy has a higher ceiling and can get there sooner. Tamba will be fun to follow after re-classifying, though he looks to be the slighest of the three. Maybe he was just slumping on picture day or the other guys hair is a fooler. I know you back guys up to the stick and drop down the thing to the top of the head to get height, but think we should be more concerned with where the shoulders are like withers measurement with horses. Longer necks and skulls don't do much on the boards. Back in the day they called Howard Bayne an undersized post, I think he just had a short neck. One of my early BB heros under Mears.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back