MTSU beat Walz/Louisville by 18 points last December...

Love ya Earl, and misery does love company, but do you think the committee will take the Louisville loss into consideration when deciding whether to let us into the tourney?

My point was it's early, way too early, to be opining about coaching changes when both Tennessee and Louisville started the same way last year and both made the Sweet 16.

Are you familiar with the term false equivalence?

Last years Louisville team finished in the E8. The LVs didn't.

Please feel free to elaborate on what Kellie has done to receive the benefit of the doubt in comparison to Jeff Walz. He's been to multiple FFs and NCAA championship game appearances.

He also just entered his 17th year as a HC. Kellie is in her 20th. She's been coaching longer.

All that to say, I am not a big Walz fan, but the facts are the facts.

Please try again.

Walz had a really nice string of years where he had Louisville consistently in the Top 5 year after year. The last couple of years there's been a slight drop off, but still a very solid coach. I think a lot of folk were butt hurt when Fulmer didn't go after him hard instead of Kellie (myself included). I don't keep up with other teams enough to know the intricacies of their programs - recruiting, roster, staff changes etc. Can someone tell me why they aren't sustaining that Top 5-10 ranking that they used to have? I thought I heard part of it was recruiting. I know van Lith left last year, did it have anything to do with him as a coach?

Reactions: knoxvol52
My point was it's early, way too early, to be opining about coaching changes when both Tennessee and Louisville started the same way last year and both made the Sweet 16.
I totally get it. But the last couple of weeks have put us in a deep, deep hole already as far as the tourney. We have almost zero margin for error in SEC play. Hurts that the SEC appears to be down this year outside of LSU and SC and those wins won't help all that much.

I'm overall despairing bc I'm starting to wonder if RJ is ever coming back, if recovery fm this prolonged injury will hold up if she does come back, and if the team can pull itself out of this funk. That's all.

As far as Walz, some of us are aware he, Brenda Friese, and Kara Lawson are coaches who are never, ever coaching here. So all the words in those directions are wasted anyway.

Last edited:
Love ya Earl, and misery does love company, but do you think the committee will take the Louisville loss into consideration when deciding whether to let us into the tourney?
The Walz stanzers certainly don't. In their minds, it's the unpardonable sin for Tenn to lose to MTSU by 11 on a neutral court without Jackson or Hollingshead, but it's perfectly fine for Louisville to lose at home by 18 with media darling Van Lith playing. Because equity, y'all, something something.

Yes, Walz has a much better overall record than Harper. That wasn't the point being made. It seemed that the post was about the hypocrisy involved in treating a loss to a certain team more acceptable based upon the coach's overall record regardless of circumstance.

The false equivalency is overlooking a worse loss by the unrequited love interest while condemning a lesser loss by the object of their scorn from the get-go. Earl's post was a good reminder that bad losses happen. That's not "defending" or "excusing" Kellie's results, but it is putting one specific loss in the perspective of recent history.

She'll be back...sooner than later...good as new.😉

I'm overall despairing bc I'm starting to wonder if RJ is ever coming back, if recovery fm this prolonged injury will hold up if she does come back, and if the team can pull itself out of this funk. That's all.

As far as Walz, some of us are aware he, Brenda Friese, and Kara Lawson are coaches who are never, ever coaching here.

She'll be back...sooner than later...good as new.😉
Right. Been hearing that for weeks. We were teased with "closer" a week ago. Meanwhile the damage to the record and team mindset continue to pile up. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: olddog
No way around her having to miss games. Unfortunate timing as far as the schedule was concerned. The timeline for her recovery was 4 to 6 weeks - it's been 4. They're making sure that she heals completely before playing her again.

I can tell you that Rickea is VERY eager to get back on the court ASAP.

Right. Been hearing that for weeks. We were teased with "closer" a week ago. Meanwhile the damage to the record and team mindset continue to pile up. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

No way around her having to miss games. Unfortunate timing as far as the schedule was concerned. The timeline for her recovery was 4 to 6 weeks - it's been 4. They're making sure that she heals completely before playing her again.

I can tell you that Rickea is VERY eager to get back on the court ASAP.
4 to 6 weeks is not day to day, except in the most deceptive sense. Would have been nice to know, but I get that injury info is held tighter than the nuclear secrets these days.

Sounds like they'll hold her out til SEC play which is understandable, but also means 2 full months without playing then expect her to save the season. She's obviously a great player, but what's being asked of her at that point is just crazy.

I have no doubt she's eager and sitting there watching all this must be just torture. It's a tough, strange situation. I'm sure the other players don't love the idea that they depend so heavily on her, and crash so hard without her, but that's the hard truth.

At this point my concern is mostly that none of this will hurt her draft status bc that would be a real shame after she chose to come back. As of now, she's holding mid first round still.

Reactions: brittannica
4 to 6 weeks is not day to day, except in the most deceptive sense. Would have been nice to know, but I get that injury info is held tighter than the nuclear secrets these days.

Sounds like they'll hold her out til SEC play which is understandable, but also means 2 full months without playing then expect her to save the season. She's obviously a great player, but what's being asked of her at that point is just crazy.

I have no doubt she's eager and sitting there watching all this must be just torture. It's a tough, strange situation. I'm sure the other players don't love the idea that they depend so heavily on her, and crash so hard without her, but that's the hard truth.

At this point my concern is mostly that none of this will hurt her draft status bc that would be a real shame after she chose to come back. As of now, she's holding mid first round still.
I didn’t want to be the one to point that out that timeline discrepancy by the coaching staff.

The Lady Vols met the #1 seed in their bracket in the Sweet 16,
Because of bad early losses. Exactly why I'm despairing this year.

Realistically, we're already in a position where we have to beat LSU and/or SC and make another SEC tourney run. And not slip up in other SEC play. It just sucks that we're already in that position.

To the point of the original post, Jeff Walz is not coaching at the University of Tennessee.

I didn’t want to be the one to point that out that timeline discrepancy by the coaching staff.
I'm perplexed that KJH has seemed so perplexed and out of touch with this injury. Has said she never knows day to day. Says she only found out 90 mins before the Memphis game. But we saw them treating this injury (or some injury) since preseason.

My guess is this happened almost exactly like the TK discovery. Something was going on for weeks and 90 mins before the Memphis game some imaging or something came back that pulled the plug. Man, poor KJH. Think what you will about her coaching but her bad luck w injuries has just been epic. And this one tops any, a worse thing could not possibly have happened to this team.

Fans like to zig and zag on drawing comparisons and miss the mark. Both lose to MTSU in different calendar years does not make them equal.
It is true that MTSU was tough last year. 28-5 record and conference champions.

And I was wrong about Louisville losing at home. The game was played in Murfreesboro.

While MTSU was good last year, they did have losses to Mercer, UTEP, & UTSA. And got trounced by 18 to #21 Colorado in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

It is true that MTSU was tough last year. 28-5 record and conference champions.

And I was wrong about Louisville losing at home. The game was played in Murfreesboro.

While MTSU was good last year, they did have losses to Mercer, UTEP, & UTSA. And got trounced by 18 to #21 Colorado in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
Well that’s great news! Last year we somehow beat Colorado, so I guess that makes us state champs again.

VN Store

Back