‘23 MS WR Ayden Williams

He's planning an in-season commitment, right? Probably a good decision that others will learn from in future years. A lot of the NIL drama will have played out by the time he does his final evaluation. Some programs will have more money... and motivation/desperation to find more quality recruits. That may make his market value much higher in October/November than it is now.
Uhh won’t some (if not most) programs also have less money too after committing funds to other recruits? Seems a potential fault in the logic.

Though I do agree with the sentiment of increased value based on there just being less prospects to choose from. Just don’t see the NIL strength of schools being a factor necessarily.

And remember, the choice isn’t just about NIL money.

AP said not much happening here on the pod
In hindsight, this doesn’t mean “not much traction” as you later suggested. Just means the kid is taking his time with the process. We’re still as in it as anyone it would seem. Beware the wording from reporters.

Uhh won’t some (if not most) programs also have less money too after committing funds to other recruits? Seems a potential fault in the logic.
Some will. But let's say UT gets to that point and has not signed the WR's they want. Ostensibly Spyre has a pool of money set aside strategically for WR's.

Though I do agree with the sentiment of increased value based on there just being less prospects to choose from. Just don’t see the NIL strength of schools being a factor necessarily.
My speculation is that some schools will overbid early and take guys off the board. I think that's what Miami did with Mauigoa. Those who lose like UT did may have set aside a pretty big chunk for Mauigoa that's now still in the bank. When we get down to the wire there will be some schools with a nice bank account pursuing a smaller pool of guys with elite talent.

And remember, the choice isn’t just about NIL money.
Agree totally. I've reminded folks of that myself.

Some will. But let's say UT gets to that point and has not signed the WR's they want. Ostensibly Spyre has a pool of money set aside strategically for WR's.

My speculation is that some schools will overbid early and take guys off the board. I think that's what Miami did with Mauigoa. Those who lose like UT did may have set aside a pretty big chunk for Mauigoa that's now still in the bank. When we get down to the wire there will be some schools with a nice bank account pursuing a smaller pool of guys with elite talent.

Agree totally. I've reminded folks of that myself.
Suppose I could see that scenario play out. Interesting thoughts and questions we’ll probably never get the answers to. But would be cool if we did.

Suppose I could see that scenario play out. Interesting thoughts and questions we’ll probably never get the answers to. But would be cool if we did.
Maybe after the fact. At some point, the details of enough of these deals will leak out to cause recruits to emulate those who do well.

At some point, the market which I trust a million times more than the NCAA will sort NIL out. There aren't limitless funds. As you rightly point out, someone will find out how to compensate with some other attraction to mitigate the power of just straight bidding wars. I believe the biggest thing will be when NIL companies start getting burned. Let's use Mauigoa. Let's say he's more of a Kahlil McKenzie type of player than a Trey Smith type of player. What do you do if you pour $3 million into a kid who's a bust in college?

Maybe after the fact. At some point, the details of enough of these deals will leak out to cause recruits to emulate those who do well.

At some point, the market which I trust a million times more than the NCAA will sort NIL out. There aren't limitless funds. As you rightly point out, someone will find out how to compensate with some other attraction to mitigate the power of just straight bidding wars. I believe the biggest thing will be when NIL companies start getting burned. Let's use Mauigoa. Let's say he's more of a Kahlil McKenzie type of player than a Trey Smith type of player. What do you do if you pour $3 million into a kid who's a bust in college?
Offer less. Worth spending the money now. If you get the talent on the roster to the point where losing out on top recruits doesn’t impact the teams outlook, your dollars can be stretched thinner deal to deal.

We’ll see how it turns out. I just worry about putting more pressure and spotlight on the kids at an early age. No such thing as amateur athlete anymore.

Offer less. Worth spending the money now. If you get the talent on the roster to the point where losing out on top recruits doesn’t impact the teams outlook, your dollars can be stretched thinner deal to deal.

We’ll see how it turns out. I just worry about putting more pressure and spotlight on the kids at an early age. No such thing as amateur athlete anymore.
They're still amateur athletes... they just have very lucrative side businesses.

I think it would be a million times worse if they directly paid players. With NIL, there are natural market forces at play to keep it in check to an extent. And... a program can still only sign 25 and have 85 guys on scholarship.

They're still amateur athletes... they just have very lucrative side businesses.

I think it would be a million times worse if they directly paid players. With NIL, there are natural market forces at play to keep it in check to an extent. And... a program can still only sign 25 and have 85 guys on scholarship.
😂 if you say so

He has to pick the Florida game to visit? Ugh.
We can't be afraid to ask recruits to visit during our big games. I get that the Florida "jinx" is puzzling and we should be better against them than we have, but we need to move forward assuming we will win this game. I know that the staff and players have that mentality.

VN Store

Back