‘23 MS S John Slaughter (Tennessee commit)

Yup.
From his time as a WR with Nicos team this sumemr ,you could tell the kid was super athletic.

Would have been the Top player in TN this past year. Would have played 2 ways, and put up ridiculous stats imo
Careful... we have some folks here that are just sure that 3* players suck and that this class has no championship potential at all.

Careful... we have some folks here that are just sure that 3* players suck and that this class has no championship potential at all.
Don’t put me in that category. Any individual 3 star can be outstanding. But the hit rate is lower by some amount. Tbh, it’s more important to look at who you recruited against. Even then it’s not 100% accurate of course

Don’t put me in that category. Any individual 3 star can be outstanding. But the hit rate is lower by some amount. Tbh, it’s more important to look at who you recruited against. Even then it’s not 100% accurate of course
There are just a couple who have caught my attention here of late. You aren't one of them.

There's a range of opinions. A very few think the recruiting sites are completely worthless in every respect. There is a big group that thinks they're useful for understanding which teams have talent in a very general sense. I usually say that the recruiting sites are better at predicting the talent of a roster than the talent of a particular player. They're not infallible in either case.

Then... there is a small but very noisy minority who believe that the recruiting sites are near infallible. They point to just a couple of things that do not actually prove their point and ignore everything else.

Funny thing is that one or both of the people I have in mind have suggested that one or more of UT's 3* is underrated.

I won't hazard an opinion that I'll argue over. But I've seen different people claim that Smith, Telander, Luttrell, and Slaughter are underrated. Could be others.

So if the difference in #11 and Bama/UGA/OSU/Clemson is as some of us suggest- an earned respect by those particular coaches... how many of UT's recruits might be underrated?

Take Seldon. His measurables are 5* worthy. But he plays at a small school and committed to Heupel so he's a 4*. If Heupel keeps winning then the same kind of recruit 5 years from now will be a solid 5*. The difference between UT's class and the top 5 is a matter of degrees. The recruiting sites don't have to be off much in their evals.

There are just a couple who have caught my attention here of late. You aren't one of them.

There's a range of opinions. A very few think the recruiting sites are completely worthless in every respect. There is a big group that thinks they're useful for understanding which teams have talent in a very general sense. I usually say that the recruiting sites are better at predicting the talent of a roster than the talent of a particular player. They're not infallible in either case.

Then... there is a small but very noisy minority who believe that the recruiting sites are near infallible. They point to just a couple of things that do not actually prove their point and ignore everything else.

Funny thing is that one or both of the people I have in mind have suggested that one or more of UT's 3* is underrated.

I won't hazard an opinion that I'll argue over. But I've seen different people claim that Smith, Telander, Luttrell, and Slaughter are underrated. Could be others.

So if the difference in #11 and Bama/UGA/OSU/Clemson is as some of us suggest- an earned respect by those particular coaches... how many of UT's recruits might be underrated?

Take Seldon. His measurables are 5* worthy. But he plays at a small school and committed to Heupel so he's a 4*. If Heupel keeps winning then the same kind of recruit 5 years from now will be a solid 5*. The difference between UT's class and the top 5 is a matter of degrees. The recruiting sites don't have to be off much in their evals.
“I usually say that the recruiting sites are better at predicting the talent of a roster than the talent of a particular player.”

This has been my argument all along. But I also understand that the recruiting sites use the scouting of the better schools as well, in addition to their own evaluations.

“I usually say that the recruiting sites are better at predicting the talent of a roster than the talent of a particular player.”

This has been my argument all along. But I also understand that the recruiting sites use the scouting of the better schools as well, in addition to their own evaluations.
Generally and consistently... the further away they get from the top recruiting programs the less accurate their own evaluations are as predictors.

Reactions: bpalmer28

VN Store

Back