'25 MS QB Deuce Knight (Notre Dame commit)

These threads are fascinating. From the "I prefer so and so". To the "he wants to be a Vol" and finally the sour grapes routine as the Vols main targets are going to ND and Clemson. The fascinating thing (to me) is that anyone checking out the ND YouTube sites with regard to Deuce would have noticed that there was a lot of enthusiasm and confidence that he was leaning their way since some late July recruiting cookout event. A lot. To the point a few times someone almost slipped and called him a commitment. This in the midst of the euphoria over his short-lived transfer to Lipscomb.

Never get too enthused about a kids social media rhetoric if they're checking out other schools.

Good luck to him. When it comes to QBs I am not worried with Heupel.
We hear that all the time, and while this isn't meant as a slight toward Heupel, he has twice, now, settled on the idea that Joe Milton is our answer at QB. Maybe he still is, but I don't think anyone confidently believes it, even if they're willing to outright say it.

I think Heup needs a QB is both exceptionally smart/fast processor, and also athletic/mobile. Joe doesn't seem to be either of those things, so perhaps he's just not a great fit for our offense, which tells me that not every QB is cut out for this system. In other words, it isn't just plug and play.

We hear that all the time, and while this isn't meant as a slight toward Heupel, he has twice, now, settled on the idea that Joe Milton is our answer at QB. Maybe he still is, but I don't think anyone confidently believes it, even if they're willing to outright say it.

I think Heup needs a QB is both exceptionally smart/fast processor, and also athletic/mobile. Joe doesn't seem to be either of those things, so perhaps he's just not a great fit for our offense, which tells me that not every QB is cut out for this system. In other words, it isn't just plug and play.

I am still confident in Heupel’s ability to assess QB talent, but it has waned somewhat slightly due to the aforementioned decision to start Milton over Hooker and Nico in two separate occasions. It feels like Heupel is enamored with the otherworldly athletic talent that Milton possesses, which to be fair is understandable. I just don’t think he has the grasp on the offense that Heupel wishes he did at this point of his tenure and he certainly has not yet shown that he can make quick decisions.

So, all that to just agree with you point that I also don’t think it’s simply “plug and play” at QB or WR like people were preaching all off-season. So many people saying that they would never be worried about WR here under Heupel because anyone can succeed in this system. That also doesn’t seem to be true yet this season.

I am still confident in Heupel’s ability to assess QB talent, but it has waned somewhat slightly due to the aforementioned decision to start Milton over Hooker and Nico in two separate occasions. It feels like Heupel is enamored with the otherworldly athletic talent that Milton possesses, which to be fair is understandable. I just don’t think he has the grasp on the offense that Heupel wishes he did at this point of his tenure and he certainly has not yet shown that he can make quick decisions.

So, all that to just agree with you point that I also don’t think it’s simply “plug and play” at QB or WR like people were preaching all off-season. So many people saying that they would never be worried about WR here under Heupel because anyone can succeed in this system. That also doesn’t seem to be true yet this season.
Yes, I agree on that idea at WR, as well. I also agree that Heupel, like Harbaugh before him, has just fallen in love with the physical ability that Milton has. And that's the same reason Joe will get a shot in the pros regardless of how this season turns out. Some NFL head coach, position coach, or coordinator will be the one who thinks he can unlock the potential.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Madden is hurt. He didn't even play the season opener.

Honestly, none of these guys are as good as Merklinger anyway.

Still we need a QB for 2025.

I'm with you, I'm a huge fan of Merklinger. I think he plays a lot and plays well in Knoxville! I'm not so sure he isn't one of the top 2-3 QB's in this class.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Whereas I don’t care. He had an offer…that’s all we KNOW. If he wanted to commit and Heupel said “no”? That’s not KNOWN. So not the “same thing.” Might be more a matter of wanting to be the top priority at quarterback and not getting that from us…because GMac exists.

My original post and reason for posting was to say this is really similar to Penix, who in the end, went else where and finally found a home. He had an offer, Deuce had an offer. Both wanted in, neither will make it in. Both found homes elsewhere. Good luck to them on getting a full ride scholarship to play football.

Reactions: SoilVol
Then how is he going to handle college any different? He couldn't take the transistion, so it is a valid concern. I may understand it, but still it is evidence that he can not be dependend on to tough things out.
I was literally in a similar position and did the same thing he did. Except as a senior not a junior. I handled the transition to college just fine. The transition to college for me was a different transition than to a different high school. Being homesick as a high school junior means nothing and has little bearing on whether or not he can handle college.

"I heard he got homesick during his first sleepover in elementary school so we better not take him in the NFL draft. Seems flaky."

My original post and reason for posting was to say this is really similar to Penix, who in the end, went else where and finally found a home. He had an offer, Deuce had an offer. Both wanted in, neither will make it in. Both found homes elsewhere. Good luck to them on getting a full ride scholarship to play football.
We disagree. One was committed and got cast aside afterwards, the other never got that far. I found a stopping point.

I was literally in a similar position and did the same thing he did. Except as a senior not a junior. I handled the transition to college just fine. The transition to college for me was a different transition than to a different high school. Being homesick as a high school junior means nothing and has little bearing on whether or not he can handle college.

"I heard he got homesick during his first sleepover in elementary school so we better not take him in the NFL draft. Seems flaky."
Fair...but this ain't elementary school and he is going to college in a few months..so I still say it is fair to say this is a red flag.

From reading the paper in Nashville, the kid is good, no doubt but he seemed to be looking for bigger and better. He moved up here for more exposure I guess, playing for Mawae and got home sick. Something just didn't seem right from the get go though. Wish him luck wherever he ends up in the end

VN Store

Back