'19 MS DT DaJon Terry

Garner gets it, ppl discussing and saying go get Dbs don't understand football. It's not about DBs it's about the DL and we hv lacked good DL play for a while due in part to coaching. It was best in CJP 1st yr under Rumph and Rocker than it had been since probably Kiffin and Dooley years. The kids used to laugh at the old man under Butch. Also they thought Hoke was a joke too.

Garner gets it, ppl discussing and saying go get Dbs don't understand football. It's not about DBs it's about the DL and we hv lacked good DL play for a while due in part to coaching. It was best in CJP 1st yr under Rumph and Rocker than it had been since probably Kiffin and Dooley years. The kids used to laugh at the old man under Butch. Also they thought Hoke was a joke too.

Agree with this 100%. A great DL makes the LBs and DBs jobs WAY easier. On the flip side, a bad DL makes the LBs and DBs jobs way harder. Get the DL fixed and our LBs and DBs will be just fine. CRG is the right guy to make this happen.

True, but Barnett was pretty good and made others around him better. Butch definitely had a very good collection of Talented Individuals at some important positions. It’s a shame that he couldn’t coach them up. I don’t think he knew how to manage big time talent .

True, but Barnett was pretty good and made others around him better. Butch definitely had a very good collection of Talented Individuals at some important positions. It’s a shame that he couldn’t coach them up. I don’t think he knew how to manage big time talent .
Unbelievable we had Barnett, Tuttle, KMac, Vickers and Kongbo on the same line. But i digress

We should have had the best Dline in the country when we had Barnett, Tuttle, Khalil, Phillips, Kongbo, Darrell Taylor, Vickers, Latroy Lewis, Vereen, Andrew Butcher, and Alexis Johnson. All on the roster at the same time.

On paper, we had a DUMB DL. Too bad Butch and Co. couldn't develop.

In 2017 we played Missouri in Columbia. I am sure everyone remembers that. We had 4 5-star DL in the starting lineup that night and they had a 165 lb back (can't remember his name) that had over 250 yds rushing on us. BTW Heupel was their off coordinator that night. Vols lost 50-17. But I remember shaking my head after that game because we had all of those 5 star DL and they were just horrible that night. Yeah Brady Hoke was the DL coach that year. Unbelievable!

Does this mean we have no interest in Handy or Hardy?
Not sure what the evaluation is on Hardy but the Miss St boards said that Handy (from Mississippi) was heavily overrated fwiw. Reminds me of Reggie Grimes who had all the measurables but low production.

Reactions: Biggvol
In 2017 we played Missouri in Columbia. I am sure everyone remembers that. We had 4 5-star DL in the starting lineup that night and they had a 165 lb back (can't remember his name) that had over 250 yds rushing on us. BTW Heupel was their off coordinator that night. Vols lost 50-17. But I remember shaking my head after that game because we had all of those 5 star DL and they were just horrible that night. Yeah Brady Hoke was the DL coach that year. Unbelievable!

I chalked that loss up to the team simply being in disarray and quitting. Watching these coaching collapses over the years, you get a sense it doesn't matter how talented your team is. When the bottom falls out, they just don't play well.

The 2017 season was over after that Florida game.

Front 6-7 definitely more important than the back 4-5

VN Store

Back