'24 MS DL Kamarion Franklin (Ole Miss commit)

giphy.gif

Sadly this one is likely NIL driven.

That’s fine. UT is going to give players a generous offer, I have no doubt. If a player’s chief desire is to get more, they should go get it. But UT isn’t going to bend over backwards for one recruit or recruiting class (unless it’s generational talent at the QB position evidently lol) and their strategy is clearly working. This is the best class I’ve seen UT acquire by this point in the year ever in my time as a fan.

That’s fine. UT is going to give players a generous offer, I have no doubt. If a player’s chief desire is to get more, they should go get it. But UT isn’t going to bend over backwards for one recruit or recruiting class (unless it’s generational talent at the QB position evidently lol) and their strategy is clearly working. This is the best class I’ve seen UT acquire by this point in the year ever in my time as a fan.
2000, 2004 and 2005.

But yes, if they cant see the forest for the trees- in terms of what's going on with baseball, the stadium enhancements, the pavilion... it's very exciting.

We're doing great in recruiting overall, but if you break it down, we're currently (<---- please notice this word) struggling at two positions. OT and DL. And Franklin falls into one of those two positions. So I really hope we land this kid. But, even if we don't, it's a long way to signing day, and more targets should emerge. But it's not wrong to note that we still really need those positions. Every other position is basically covered, and we're going for icing on the cake at some of those positions. But OT and DL still need to be addressed.

Sidenote, what's bothering me about DL recruiting is it makes no sense. We have one of the game's best DL coaches in CRG, and the guy has always been a lights out recruiter. Kids should be lining up to play for him. Does our system really scare kids that much?

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
It’s basically NFL free agency. Hard to get mad at a player who goes to the team that offers the biggest contract.

It’s basically NFL free agency. Hard to get mad at a player who goes to the team that offers the biggest contract.
Mad? We shouldn't get "mad" at a player who makes their choice regardless of why.

Question the wisdom of the choice? Absolutely. UT has a culture now supportive of a player reaching his potential without a ton of distractions and drama. I don't think that can be said about Miami. Apparently whatever UT's NIL offered wasn't an insult to him or they wouldn't be considered.

The "Talkin' Vawls" guy tried to make the case that it was purely money and that Spyre didn't have the money to bid him up. I believe that is pure BS. As I've said elsewhere, before you start bidding on something including a potential employee/player you have to decide what you think their true worth is and what the replacement costs/risks are. I do not know how the signals are sent between NIL collectives and programs but they are. Somehow Sprye understands about how much "value" Franklin has to the staff. If Miami is willing to overpay for Franklin and Franklin does not believe that UT offers more total value then UT SHOULD NOT just raise the bid. There are other guys out there who are better values for the money. There will be guys in the portal who have actually proven their value.

There is an absolute cost to overpaying. Let's say that UT did as some apparently think they should with Franklin. They panic and just keep bidding up with Miami. Now let's say they get him for $500k per year more than what he should have been worth. Let's say to make it worse he's either injury prone or an outright bust who never contributes at a high level. There are no refunds. That is money that the Vols CANNOT spend on other players. So the question might look like this... Do we pay $1 million for Franklin or do we get two guys that appear to be a little less talented for $250k each hoping that at least one of them develops into a contributor?

A lot of guys here would be GREAT for the seller at an auction. They lose their minds when they think someone is outbidding them. This happens at farm auctions in my area. Two or 3 guys start competing for a piece of property. It eventually starts to be about "winning" by outbidding the other guys. They forget all about the fact that the ROI on the property by the time they buy it is 15-20 years. They could buy other property or equipment or use it for working capital... but they lost sight of the end.

IMHO, UT isn't doing that and is very wise by not simply trying to outbid some of these desperate programs like Miami.

FWIW, if Franklin is only driven by the NIL then he's foolish. That's short-sighted. But it is likely there are other things he likes if he chooses Miami and that he has believed their "pitch".

Last edited:
Reactions: MockingVol
We're doing great in recruiting overall, but if you break it down, we're currently (<---- please notice this word) struggling at two positions. OT and DL. And Franklin falls into one of those two positions. So I really hope we land this kid. But, even if we don't, it's a long way to signing day, and more targets should emerge. But it's not wrong to note that we still really need those positions. Every other position is basically covered, and we're going for icing on the cake at some of those positions. But OT and DL still need to be addressed.

Sidenote, what's bothering me about DL recruiting is it makes no sense. We have one of the game's best DL coaches in CRG, and the guy has always been a lights out recruiter. Kids should be lining up to play for him. Does our system really scare kids that much?
I am more concerned about DL than anything else. Then I remember this year we are looking good on the field though and getting a couple of good recruits a year is fine but I guess I want the Henderson And Albert Haynesworth guys every year. Overall though our guys have greatly improved our recruiting.

He was down here in Miami this weekend at a hurricane bbq, brought his grandmother who apparently loved the visit. Apparently they both appeared extremely interested in Miami’s offer. With impending commitment, I don’t like the sound

Mad? We shouldn't get "mad" at a player who makes their choice regardless of why.

Question the wisdom of the choice? Absolutely. UT has a culture now supportive of a player reaching his potential without a ton of distractions and drama. I don't think that can be said about Miami. Apparently whatever UT's NIL offered wasn't an insult to him or they wouldn't be considered.

The "Talkin' Vawls" guy tried to make the case that it was purely money and that Spyre didn't have the money to bid him up. I believe that is pure BS. As I've said elsewhere, before you start bidding on something including a potential employee/player you have to decide what you think their true worth is and what the replacement costs/risks are. I do not know how the signals are sent between NIL collectives and programs but they are. Somehow Sprye understands about how much "value" Franklin has to the staff. If Miami is willing to overpay for Franklin and Franklin does not believe that UT offers more total value then UT SHOULD NOT just raise the bid. There are other guys out there who are better values for the money. There will be guys in the portal who have actually proven their value.

There is an absolute cost to overpaying. Let's say that UT did as some apparently think they should with Franklin. They panic and just keep bidding up with Miami. Now let's say they get him for $500k per year more than what he should have been worth. Let's say to make it worse he's either injury prone or an outright bust who never contributes at a high level. There are no refunds. That is money that the Vols CANNOT spend on other players. So the question might look like this... Do we pay $1 million for Franklin or do we get two guys that appear to be a little less talented for $250k each hoping that at least one of them develops into a contributor?

A lot of guys here would be GREAT for the seller at an auction. They lose their minds when they think someone is outbidding them. This happens at farm auctions in my area. Two or 3 guys start competing for a piece of property. It eventually starts to be about "winning" by outbidding the other guys. They forget all about the fact that the ROI on the property by the time they buy it is 15-20 years. They could buy other property or equipment or use it for working capital... but they lost sight of the end.

IMHO, UT isn't doing that and is very wise by not simply trying to outbid some of these desperate programs like Miami.

FWIW, if Franklin is only driven by the NIL then he's foolish. That's short-sighted. But it is likely there are other things he likes if he chooses Miami and that he has believed their "pitch".
I agree with this, lol their !?Pitch?! has to be "Come to the U, play in front of an electric ACC atmosphere!" yea.. a stadium full of Monti Teo's GF's.

He was down here in Miami this weekend at a hurricane bbq, brought his grandmother who apparently loved the visit. Apparently they both appeared extremely interested in Miami’s offer. With impending commitment, I don’t like the sound
I thought dead period opened this week.

Pretty sure the bbq is this wkend. Are you posting from the future?

I agree with this, lol their !?Pitch?! has to be "Come to the U, play in front of an electric ACC atmosphere!" yea.. a stadium full of Monti Teo's GF's.

Possibilities other than that- academics (high end private U), along with that a lot of their students and alumni are rich, south FL weather, the women... and the way they dress, party life in Miami, etc

Then they basically have to tell convincing lies on the football side- "We're building a championship contender (the fans will come later)", "You will receive elite coaching", "Our HC is a guru who won at Oregon and will win here", "You will get just as much media exposure and NFL attention here as in the SEC", etc. There are a million ways to sell "the dream". That's what Butch Jones was good at.

Reactions: KptVFL
This weekend/ late this week is the Miami return visit

He's going to Auburn for a multi-day visit this week:

I'm sure they'll try to talk him out of going to Miami for his SIXTH visit this week (for the BBQ).

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back