Moving from Texas to TN

Kingsport has a great school system but no land....maybe look around other spots in Sullivan county. South Holston lake area is nice. Lots of nice land around Greenville. Erwin might be nice as long as you are not bringing a pet elephant.

Realtors have told me that Johnson City is 10% to 20% more expense than other areas.
Please. Spell Greeneville correctly. I know it sounds petty but it is a source of pride for us, as we are only ones in USA who spell it that way, after Nathanael Greene.

Yes, I did have to correct Nathanael spelling ... but we are not Nathanaelville, now, are we?

Reactions: volfanbill
The 81 corridor is a good area from Jefferson County all the way up to Bristol. Stay away from Cocke county would be my only advice.

I have to admit, I am a bit jealous of the OP. My roots here in TX have gotten pretty deep, and it is hard to see leaving this area before retirement.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
This is going to sound weird, but if you like watching the storms roll through get a view that can see from north to south. Depending on where you end up you probably want a view facing west, as the mountains are closer/bigger to the east. You dont get the wide open vistas unless you get high up and clear some trees, that you would in Texas.

Because of the mountain to the east and the plateau to the west a lot of storms get funneled north south. Typically the storms come from the south in the summer, and from the north in the winter.
You’re right. That sounded weird.

For my two cents I would give a good look at the Bristol area. Better than the other two of the Tricities and the sign says it all " Bristol, A good Place to Live"

For my two cents I would give a good look at the Bristol area. Better than the other two of the Tricities and the sign says it all " Bristol, A good Place to Live"
Sorry lived in Bristol and surrounding areas for many years, please go south for at least a 45 minute drive

Reactions: Carp
I have to admit, I am a bit jealous of the OP. My roots here in TX have gotten pretty deep, and it is hard to see leaving this area before retirement.

Well my advice to you is to go ahead and buy some land where you might like to settle. I'm playing hell trying to find a good property in NET. It seems the rest of the country has found out how sweet it can be to be in Tennessee.

Well my advice to you is to go ahead and buy some land where you might like to settle. I'm playing hell trying to find a good property in NET. It seems the rest of the country has found out how sweet it can be to be in Tennessee.
Retirees move here to avoid higher taxes, and take advantage of our infrastructure and services.

Howdy from an Aggie,

We are looking to move from Texas to eastern TN. Parents had a cabin near Gatlinburg, and driving around between Knoxville and the NC border, we really love that part of TN.
My daugher attended an event at UT and loves the campus and wants to be a Volunteer now. :)

We are looking for a little bit of land to run a couple horses for the kids and a few small animals. We like the idea of living near a small-ish town, but with decent schools for the kids. So far we have been looking around the Greeneville, Rogersville, and Elizabethton areas.

If anyone has any recommendations for areas/towns to check out, as well as any general tips/information about moving to TN, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
If you need a realtor let me know, my cousin is one in the Blount, Knox, loudon, sevier County area

Howdy from an Aggie,

We are looking to move from Texas to eastern TN. Parents had a cabin near Gatlinburg, and driving around between Knoxville and the NC border, we really love that part of TN.
My daugher attended an event at UT and loves the campus and wants to be a Volunteer now. :)

We are looking for a little bit of land to run a couple horses for the kids and a few small animals. We like the idea of living near a small-ish town, but with decent schools for the kids. So far we have been looking around the Greeneville, Rogersville, and Elizabethton areas.

If anyone has any recommendations for areas/towns to check out, as well as any general tips/information about moving to TN, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

If you’re looking for a small town, the they don’t get much smaller than Washburn. It’s in grainger county about 35 mins from campus. If you blink you’ll miss the whole town lol. But seriously it’s a great community, born and raised here. We’ve had a few move in from up north over the last year or two so we would most definitely welcome another southerner. 👍

Howdy from an Aggie,

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
Rogersville is a nice area. I have never lived there before but I've spent a lot of time there in my younger years. People there still go out of their way to help you. It's a pretty area.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Thanks! If there are any tips or good things to know about the area, feel free to share. :)
Lots to do outdoors close by. Your a couple hours from a lot good spots. Asheville, knoxville, smoky mountains, many hiking trails etc. I'm sure you have been using google About the area. Many old battlefields and historic sites. Heritage days in rogersville and jonesboro has a neat storytelling festival each year. I'm sure others can share more.

I always enjoyed johnson city personally. Much smaller than knoxville, but nice downtown and restaurant scene.

Thanks! If there are any tips or good things to know about the area, feel free to share. :)
So, how does the family like the white Christmas?

If you weren't prepared to travel in snow and need anything let me know. I'm able to get about.

So, how does the family like the white Christmas?

If you weren't prepared to travel in snow and need anything let me know. I'm able to get about.

Not actually up there yet. Moving date got delayed til after New Years. Glad y’all got to have a White Christmas.

Reactions: goldenvol

VN Store

Back