Moving from Texas to TN

Gotta keep in mind that horse-friendly land is at a premium in an area where most stuff is either steeply sloped, or floods regularly. I would think the TN River Valley, around Athens, TN, might be a good place to look. You can see mountains from there but you won't have to climb them to get the mail.

Having lived in Decatur most of my life, Athens is trash and the school systems suck, imo. It's continually one of the highest crime cities in the state and probably the meth capital of the world.

I'd recommend closer to Maryville. Beautiful town with a nice downtown district. Great schools. I don't know much about cities above Knoxville.

Last edited:
i moved from Dallas to Oak Ridge five years ago this month, not a day goes by do I not know whole-heartedly that it was the best thing I ever did.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Having lived in Decatur most of my life, Athens is trash and the school systems suck, imo. It's continually one of the highest crime cities in the state and probably the meth capital of the world.

I'd recommend closer to Maryville. Beautiful town with a nice downtown district. Great schools. I don't know much about cities above Knoxville.
I was raised in Williamson County, so pretty much everywhere else is trash to me.

Howdy from an Aggie,

We are looking to move from Texas to eastern TN. Parents had a cabin near Gatlinburg, and driving around between Knoxville and the NC border, we really love that part of TN.
My daugher attended an event at UT and loves the campus and wants to be a Volunteer now. :)

We are looking for a little bit of land to run a couple horses for the kids and a few small animals. We like the idea of living near a small-ish town, but with decent schools for the kids. So far we have been looking around the Greeneville, Rogersville, and Elizabethton areas.

If anyone has any recommendations for areas/towns to check out, as well as any general tips/information about moving to TN, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
What ages are the kids? As mentioned you'll have access to some really good schools and some really bad. If the goal is to get into UT, then you'll need one of the better systems, or plan to travel to a private school.
It sounds like your looking for 5 to a dozen acres, or is your plan to board the horses and only need a couple? There are affordable places in this size range in Knox, Anderson and Blount counties which would provide the level schools.
If you're only talking about HS age children, then find the place you want and go the private school route.....assuming they can drive.

What ages are the kids? As mentioned you'll have access to some really good schools and some really bad. If the goal is to get into UT, then you'll need one of the better systems, or plan to travel to a private school.
It sounds like your looking for 5 to a dozen acres, or is your plan to board the horses and only need a couple? There are affordable places in this size range in Knox, Anderson and Blount counties which would provide the level schools.
If you're only talking about HS age children, then find the place you want and go the private school route.....assuming they can drive.

Kids are 14 (going into 9th grade), 11, and 6. Yeah we are looking for 5+ acres, either with a barn or we will build one on the property. Looking for decent public school system that will get them into UT (or A&M should they decide to follow in my footsteps :) )

Did you read that UTK is not requiring ACT/SAT scores for 2021? I have a feeling that will stick for more than one year. The door is wide open for them to accept students based on whatever diversitopian fantasy it is that that the faculty harbors. Want to be a Vol from now on? If you're a can of corn straight-A student with a handful of extracurriculars and a little community service on the resume, you better be the freakiest freak at the freakshow.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Did you read that UTK is not requiring ACT/SAT scores for 2021? I have a feeling that will stick for more than one year. The door is wide open for them to accept students based on whatever diversitopian fantasy it is that that the faculty harbors. Want to be a Vol from now on? If you're a can of corn straight-A student with a handful of extracurriculars and a little community service on the resume, you better be the freakiest freak at the freakshow.

Is UTK going as "woke" as A&M is recently? I barely even recognize my alma mater these days.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Is UTK going as "woke" as A&M is recently? I barely even recognize my alma mater these days.
I think pretty much every college in the USA is there. Not requiring test scores just allows them to bypass whatever pretense of academic merit they were still maintaining in admissions. Knowing the qualifications of some kids who didn't make it in recent years, I can only imagine what kind of zoo they'll be running up there.

UT isn't especially hard to get in. Score about a 21 or better on your ACT and you're almost guaranteed to get in. Or you can go to a community college for a couple semesters and as long as you're doing well, you can transfer fairly easily.

I personally have never known anyone that applied and had the grades that was rejected. I've seen it for their graduate schools, but never incoming freshman.

Last edited:
East TN is idyllic.
W TN used to be ok, that is my home.
Economics have been harder here than the other two regions.

The 3 parts of the state are quite different. West Tn is the pits, East is, well different, kinda has that "Deliverance" vibe. The only place to live is Middle Tennessee. Try Sumner and Williamson counties first. Williamson is full of rich folks, think Titans, Preds, rich musicians and rich business people with the accompanying attitudes. Williamson is supposed to have the best public schools if you have school aged children although Merrill Hyde Magnet School in Hendersonville is rated the best high school in the state. I moved to Sumner county 35 years ago and love it. Has houses on Old Hickory lake (Kelly Clarkson's is for sale for $7.5 million) and rural areas that are quite nice.

I just noticed you wanted 5 plus acres. Surgoinsville has plenty of rural options and you could still commute the kids to kingsport schools

Can you send your kids to schools different than the school you are zoned for? Here in TX, you pretty much have to go to the school that is zoned for your address.

Can you send your kids to schools different than the school you are zoned for? Here in TX, you pretty much have to go to the school that is zoned for your address.

You can send your kids to city schools if you live in the county but you have to pay tuition.

The 3 parts of the state are quite different. West Tn is the pits, East is, well different, kinda has that "Deliverance" vibe. The only place to live is Middle Tennessee. Try Sumner and Williamson counties first. Williamson is full of rich folks, think Titans, Preds, rich musicians and rich business people with the accompanying attitudes. Williamson is supposed to have the best public schools if you have school aged children although Merrill Hyde Magnet School in Hendersonville is rated the best high school in the state. I moved to Sumner county 35 years ago and love it. Has houses on Old Hickory lake (Kelly Clarkson's is for sale for $7.5 million) and rural areas that are quite nice.

Really dude? Deliverance vibe? Haha, I live in between Johnson City and Kingsport in the Harmony/Eastern Star community and we have plenty of land for animals and pets and not to far from town. Plus Gray ain't that far away to getcha groceries n essentials. Don't know what the deliverance vibe is ya talkin bout lol.

I pay to send my son to City school. I know my BIL lives in surgoinsville and they were looking at sending their son to Dobyns Bennett in Kingsport

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Really dude? Deliverance vibe? Haha, I live in between Johnson City and Kingsport in the Harmony/Eastern Star community and we have plenty of land for animals and pets and not to far from town. Plus Gray ain't that far away to getcha groceries n essentials. Don't know what the deliverance vibe is ya talkin bout lol.

Actually just stirring the pot. So little going on, except riots, I wanted to give people something to get stirred up about. The Board has been so dull with no sports going on. East Tn is great actually. LOL

Reactions: FiremedicVOL127
Greeneville is a good choice if you get land in the eastern part of the County. It can come at a premium out there as it is good farm land. Great mountain views throughout most of the entire town. I would recommend paying the nominal fee to send your children to the city schools, though. Elementary (Tusculum View, Eastview, Hal Henard), Middle (Greeneville Middle School) and High School (Greeneville High School) are all highly rated, particularly GHS.

It is about an hour away from Knoxville, Asheville, NC and 30 minutes from Johnson City. Great hiking (Appalachian Trail runs through the county), camping, fly fishing, and other outdoor recreation in its backyard.

I grew up there and oddly enough there was a Texas A&M family.

VN Store

Back