Move the playoff games

jonnon111

What you see is what you get.
Anyone else think the 2nd game kicks off at 730( or 740) on a New Years eve is silly? The game won't end before 1130.

Why can't they be 12 and 330 if it must be NYE? I don't party like I used to, but I can t even go to a NYE dinner if I want to watch the GA game. I just wish they would play on the day before or on January 2nd or 4th? You know, after the non playoff bowls.

Anyone else think the 2nd game kicks off at 730( or 740) on a New Years eve is silly? The game won't end before 1130.

Why can't they be 12 and 330 if it must be NYE? I don't party like I used to, but I can t even go to a NYE dinner if I want to watch the GA game. I just wish they would play on the day before or on January 2nd or 4th? You know, after the non playoff bowls.
A few years ago it turned out to be a big bust in the ratings to have the playoff games New Year’s Eve. Surprised they decided to do it again. Maybe Covid had an influence on the decision thinking a lot of people will stay home?

It’s absurd that everyone kowtows and kisses the Rose Bowls ass every year so they can have their parade on January 1. The CFP should be on Saturday.
7A56EB97-10E2-4064-91CF-2CECD10BF503.gif

A few years ago it turned out to be a big bust in the ratings to have the playoff games New Year’s Eve. Surprised they decided to do it again. Maybe Covid had an influence on the decision thinking a lot of people will stay home?

I don't think the time slots or day has as much to do with the ratings as the fatigue of having the same teams year after year.

You need to pick New Years Eve parties with big screen TVs.

Exactly…we’re having friends over to watch the games, grilling steaks and lobster tails while bringing in the new year.

Cheaper meal than going out to dinner, and no worries about encountering impaired drivers on the road.

Last edited:
They really didn’t have a choice. The semifinals would of have to been played on either December 31st or earlier or January 3rd.

There is a simple solution that could appease all stakeholders. Now that the Big XII is (even more) irrelevant, the playoff should be between the champs of the SEC, ACC, Big 10, and Pac 12. The semis should be the Rose Bowl (Big 10 vs Pac 12) and the Sugar Bowl (SEC vs ACC) and should always be on New Year's Day.

Reactions: MAD
There is a simple solution that could appease all stakeholders. Now that the Big XII is (even more) irrelevant, the playoff should be between the champs of the SEC, ACC, Big 10, and Pac 12. The semis should be the Rose Bowl (Big 10 vs Pac 12) and the Sugar Bowl (SEC vs ACC) and should always be on New Year's Day.

You are considering the Pac 12 an elite conference?

That's a bold move Cotton.

USC is most likely going to be respectable with Riley there. Above that, Oregon is iffy. Can't keep a coach lately long enough to really build much. Utah is up and down.

The ACC without a dominant Clemson is also questionable. Florida State could go either way with their current situation. Miami is a basket case. Quite frankly, the rest of the schools are just not set up for a championship run circa 2021. I am a proud alumni of GT, but it's not 1990 anymore. They just do not have the athletic infrastructure to be big time anymore.

Just leave it at the best teams. 4, 8, 12 whatever.

You are considering the Pac 12 an elite conference?

That's a bold move Cotton.

USC is most likely going to be respectable with Riley there. Above that, Oregon is iffy. Can't keep a coach lately long enough to really build much. Utah is up and down.

The ACC without a dominant Clemson is also questionable. Florida State could go either way with their current situation. Miami is a basket case. Quite frankly, the rest of the schools are just not set up for a championship run circa 2021. I am a proud alumni of GT, but it's not 1990 anymore. They just do not have the athletic infrastructure to be big time anymore.

Just leave it at the best teams. 4, 8, 12 whatever.

I'm good with the best four teams argument. But the clamoring for an eight team playoff is going to keep going, so my thought is that you can build an eight team playoff by including the four conference title games as a quarterfinal round. Is the ACC a quality conference? No. Though if Notre Dame moves in full-time, they become relatively respectable. And for all of their warts, the Pac 12 is arguably the conference with the greatest amount of parity. They beat each other up every year.

I was surprised they didn’t schedule them on Saturday. I guess there are always trade offs. I for one won’t be watching GA/UM due to my social life. Oh well.

I was surprised they didn’t schedule them on Saturday. I guess there are always trade offs. I for one won’t be watching GA/UM due to my social life. Oh well.
The Rose Bowl has the exclusive window for New Years Afternoon. They would have to split up the semifinals to play them both on New Years Day, which they definitely wouldn’t do. Especially since the first semifinal would be going up against other bowl games.

The Rose Bowl has the exclusive window for New Years Afternoon. They would have to split up the semifinals to play them both on New Years Day, which they definitely wouldn’t do. Especially since the first semifinal would be going up against other bowl games.
And it is ridiculous that Ohio State vs Utah and the Rose Parade gets exclusivity over the rest of the college football postseason.

It’s absurd that everyone kowtows and kisses the Rose Bowls ass every year so they can have their parade on January 1. The CFP should be on Saturday.
View attachment 424460

The Sugar Bowl also has the stipulation in its contracts (that it has to be played on January 1). It’s because of both bowls at this point that this keeps happening.

Exactly…we’re having friends over to watch the games, grilling steaks and lobster tails while bringing in the new year.

Cheaper meal than going out to dinner, and no worries about encountering impaired drivers on the road.
Good to be friends with LW. Yummy. 😋

I have a bigger issue with final game starting late enough on a Monday that it finishes after midnight. The National Championship game should a a 3 pm Saturday game.

I have a bigger issue with final game starting late enough on a Monday that it finishes after midnight. The National Championship game should a a 3 pm Saturday game.
In a perfect world I would agree, but 3 pm on a Saturday, or anytime on a Saturday, would put you up against NFL playoff games. So that’s not a very realistic scenario.

Reactions: tbwhhs

We’re having gator tail 😉

In a perfect world I would agree, but 3 pm on a Saturday, or anytime on a Saturday, would put you up against NFL playoff games. So that’s not a very realistic scenario.
Move the NFL games to Sunday like they are most of the rest of the season.

Or put the college championship as a Friday night game, even that would be an improvement.

VN Store

Back