Mother's Day next Sunday 5/9

McDad

I can't brain today; I has the dumb.
Yall come up with a lot creative ideas. Let's see what you got cooking for mother's day?

What are some good gift ideas? Mothers on VN, what are some of your most memorable gifts or what do you really want on your special day?

As always, show off your Vol themed gifts in the thread.

My mother passed in 2008. She slowly lost her mind over13 years with alzheimers. I was her last of 5 kids. Miss you, Momma!

Uh...I'm fresh outta ideas, guys. Yall suppose to be helping a brother out, here.

Reactions: LittleVol
Well, all I’ve got is: face time or FaceTime. Give her the gift of your time. So I’m springing my mom (age 93) from her assisted living and bringing her to the house to visit for a few hours (about all she can handle) plus see one of her grandchildren and her great-grandson, then cooking some turnip greens (from my backyard garden!) and cornbread from her to take back with her. <- she considers turnip greens and cornbread to be a full meal. Several actually. But Costco pecan pralines will make an appearance as well. The other grandkids will visit via FaceTime or Zoom.

Meanwhile, my husband will visit HIS mom (95 with moderate-advanced dementia) in her own room at assisted living, as she will get confused and distressed in unfamiliar settings.

And my present will be getting to visit with my kids and grandson, in person or otherwise. No stuff! I don’t want any stuff! OK, a bottle of wine.

^^ I guess this sounds depressing, and I don’t mean it to be. The gift of time outweighs everything.

Well, all I’ve got is: face time or FaceTime. Give her the gift of your time. So I’m springing my mom (age 93) from her assisted living and bringing her to the house to visit for a few hours (about all she can handle) plus see one of her grandchildren and her great-grandson, then cooking some turnip greens (from my backyard garden!) and cornbread from her to take back with her. <- she considers turnip greens and cornbread to be a full meal. Several actually. But Costco pecan pralines will make an appearance as well. The other grandkids will visit via FaceTime or Zoom.

Meanwhile, my husband will visit HIS mom (95 with moderate-advanced dementia) in her own room at assisted living, as she will get confused and distressed in unfamiliar settings.
yAnd my present will be getting to visit with my kids and grandson, in person or otherwise. No stuff! I don’t want any stuff! OK, a bottle of wine.

^^ I guess this sounds depressing, and I don’t mean it to be. The gift of time outweighs everything.
Do you have any mother's day presents which stand out?

I like the gift of time. But honestly, I think McRib wants a token of appreciation, too.

Reactions: VolNExile

I like the gift of time. But honestly, I think McRib wants a token of appreciation, too.
Sadly, I don't. I know that there have been plants and flowers and meals in and meals out and doo-dads for the house (and wine). All I really remember is times together.

But then, I'm 66 and not terribly sure what I had for breakfast. Or if I did. :p

So, this is probably not what you’re looking for, but this was timed nicely for Mother’s Day:

Hubs and I took my 3-year-old grandson to Biltmore yesterday (just the grounds, playground, farmyard etc; not the house) in an attempt to wear him out enough to give his parents some rest. We put several miles in on the azalea gardens and then the rest.

On the drive home, from the back seat, he said, “Here, Nonna,” and handed me a sort of withered-up gold-colored thing about a third of an inch long. I couldn’t figure out what it was, although it looked kind of like a dried-up flower base from one of the azaleas. So I said, “Thank you, Martin, where did you find this?”

He replied, deadly serious, “I pulled it out of my nose.” So there’s always that.

So, this is probably not what you’re looking for, but this was timed nicely for Mother’s Day:

Hubs and I took my 3-year-old grandson to Biltmore yesterday (just the grounds, playground, farmyard etc; not the house) in an attempt to wear him out enough to give his parents some rest. We put several miles in on the azalea gardens and then the rest.

On the drive home, from the back seat, he said, “Here, Nonna,” and handed me a sort of withered-up gold-colored thing about a third of an inch long. I couldn’t figure out what it was, although it looked kind of like a dried-up flower base from one of the azaleas. So I said, “Thank you, Martin, where did you find this?”

He replied, deadly serious, “I pulled it out of my nose.” So there’s always that.
lol

Not what I am looking for, you're right. But the thread would be better to go your direction instead of mine.

Reactions: VolNExile

This may be the best thing I've ever seen here! 😂

1. She's getting a $100 gift card.
2. I haven't done flowers yet. Sometimes she wants them. Sometimes not. Trying to guess which time this is can promote anxiety.
3. She's getting a crab leg and shrimp boil. With the taters, corn, and onion. Might throw in a little smoked sausage to the pot.
4. I did plant her a good selection of sunflowers out in the garden. Maybe that counts.

Yall come up with a lot creative ideas. Let's see what you got cooking for mother's day?

What are some good gift ideas? Mothers on VN, what are some of your most memorable gifts or what do you really want on your special day?

As always, show off your Vol themed gifts in the thread.

My mother passed in 2008. She slowly lost her mind over13 years with alzheimers. I was her last of 5 kids. Miss you, Momma!
I'm confused. Are you married?
Is this gift for your mother-in-law?

She picked out a pair of Crocs and some flowers and said she's good with that and the fact we're going to lunch with her mom. Winner!

I'm taking her (and our youngest and one of her nieces) to Hawaii at the end of the month for 2 weeks for one of the trips on her bucket list. That also gets me credit for her birthday at the end of the month and our 26th anniversary while we're in Hawaii. Triple winner!

She picked out a pair of Crocs and some flowers and said she's good with that and the fact we're going to lunch with her mom. Winner!

I'm taking her (and our youngest and one of her nieces) to Hawaii at the end of the month for 2 weeks for one of the trips on her bucket list. That also gets me credit for her birthday at the end of the month and our 26th anniversary while we're in Hawaii. Triple winner!
Nice!

Reactions: Border Vol

VN Store

Back