Most Surprising Vol Win?

#17 UT - 19
#3 UGA - 14

This one sticks out as a surprise for me. UGA was looking like a potential national champion. UGA had David Greene at QB who, at the time, was the best QB to ever play at UGA. I think Aaron Murray beat a lot of his records. Nobody expected Tennessee to knock off UGA in Athens that year.
This was a good one as well. Weren’t we a 13 or 14 point dog to them that day? While we certainly had some let downs under Phil, he did have a few big upsets along the way as well.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Most surprising VOLS win? Well for the last two decades that is pretty easy
ALL OF THEM 😏

"I'm a soldier!"

iu

What a loser.

I am saddened to see the responses here. I guess it’s just because I’m older I suppose. But the ‘59 LSU game that John Ward won for us is it hands down. 82’ Bama is close. The rest of these responses are kinda’ silly in comparison. 2001 swamp as 17 point dogs - we were winning that. If you coulda’ seen the team meeting room watching college game day that morning, you knew we were gonna beat spurrier that night.
85 sugar bowl - we had em before we left Knoxville.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Here are a few:

2016 Florida
2007 Georgia
2016 Georgia
2003 @ Miami

Sad thing is, I have far MORE surprising losses (games I thought we should have won) versus surprising wins. UT seemed to pull more upsets in the past such as the 1980s.

One of my greatest frustration as a Tennessee fan is that we really do not pull off a lot of upsets. You would think with as many times we play schools like Alabama or Florida, we would be able to surprise them at least once and beat them. The only time we ever seem to beat them is when we have a far better team. (Heck we have often had better teams than Florida and still lose to them).

Here are a few:

2016 Florida
2007 Georgia
2016 Georgia
2003 @ Miami

Sad thing is, I have far MORE surprising losses (games I thought we should have won) versus surprising wins. UT seemed to pull more upsets in the past such as the 1980s.

One of my greatest frustration as a Tennessee fan is that we really do not pull off a lot of upsets. You would think with as many times we play schools like Alabama or Florida, we would be able to surprise them at least once and beat them. The only time we ever seem to beat them is when we have a far better team. (Heck we have often had better teams than Florida and still lose to them).

The last 10 seconds of 2016 UGA game was a rollercoaster of if I thought we were going to win or lose.

85 sugar bowl - we had em before we left Knoxville.[/QUOTE]

I remember an interview with Dale Jones in New Orleans prior to the game: He was surprised that all of the experts were picking against the Vols and said, "Kinda made me mad!"

That team would have beat any team in the nation that night. Funny how ESPN always ignores this game when hyping Miami in their videos.

VN Store

Back