most overrated vols

Of that great overloaded recruiting class, he came closest to reaching his potential. And that last sack counted. Records were meant to be broken.

watch the sack again. the QB trips himself before DB ever gets there. but, yeah, it sure counted even though it shouldn't have.

Passionate fanbase used to success + 13 years of total irrelevance = offseason threads about our most overrated players.

Oh, and Gerald Riggs Jr. was probably the most overrated Vol of my lifetime.

I always thought Riggs got a raw deal from Sanders. It thought he killed the kid's confidence

Reactions: Buzzbait
What on earth are we accomplishing here?

How about overrated bamers, gators, buttsniffers?

Some of you need serious psychological help. The kind they do in Vienna.

Start your own thread if you want to go in a different direction.

Does anyone ever really "accomplish" anything when surfing the internet and checking in on a fan page? Who says we have to accomplish anything? We're just fans talking about our favorite college football team, along those two Florida fans that throw in their 2% every now and again for some reason.

During some downtime last year, I watched the entire 98-99 season. It really stuck out to me that he was the most inconsistent and overly hyper player on the field. We won several games in spite of him. That team with a slightly better QB would go.down as the greatest team in CFB history.
I think a big reason why he had so much attention on him, other than the fact that he played the single most important position on the field, was that he immediately followed Peyton. The general thought was that for Tennessee to continue to be good, they'd need a guy not to totally fill Peyton's shoes necessarily but to still put up really productive numbers and have the offense run through him. I've watched portions of many of the games that year on YT myself and the commentators frequently alluded to this, saying stuff like "the offense will develop as Tee Martin develops" and things like that.

The game was different then, and the offense was still great without a QB who put up huge stats.

I always thought Riggs got a raw deal from Sanders. It thought he killed the kid's confidence
I think it was an inability/unwillingness to learn how to block (which was a sore spot with Fulmer) combined with injuries. It seemed like he was always dinged up with some kind of minor injury for his entire career here.

I think it was an inability/unwillingness to learn how to block (which was a sore spot with Fulmer) combined with injuries. It seemed like he was always dinged up with some kind of minor injury for his entire career here.

Yeah, how many times have we seen this? Players cant get in a groove because of injuries.

Hate to say, but recently...Mckenzie. He was ok and got drafted late, but man he seemed to be a man amongst boys before he missed his SR year in HS and came in a bit sloppy. Him, Tuttle, Kongo, and Phillips were looking like a late 90s DL group...then...nothing.

During some downtime last year, I watched the entire 98-99 season. It really stuck out to me that he was the most inconsistent and overly hyper player on the field. We won several games in spite of him. That team with a slightly better QB would go.down as the greatest team in CFB history.

Yeah, Tee took a while to develop in '98. He played terribly against Florida and Auburn. He was very inconsistent against Arkansas as well. And in '99 he really didn't improve. In '99, he did not play well at all in the 3 games we lost that year - Florida, Arkansas, and Nebraska. He also played pretty badly against Auburn. Another disappointing player that season was Jamal Lewis. Jamal was dreadful in the Memphis game that year. Travis Henry was better than him that season. To defend Tee, though, the receivers we had were not very good in '99. Cedric Wilson was great, but Eric Parker and Leonard Scott were disappointments. David Martin was okay but didn't fill in the role of Peerless Price or Jermaine Copeland, and Dante Stallworth was only a freshman. The offense overall was very disappointing in '99, and maybe losing Cutcliffe and having to break in Randy Sanders was part of the reason for that. The defense was incredible, one of the best defenses in UT history. I think they didn't give up a rushing TD until the Notre Dame game, like 8 games into the season, or something like that, but the defense did play poorly in the bowl game against Nebraska.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back