Most overrated video game console of all time

I mean here is the real question. Did you allow Oddjob when you played multiplayer? Or where you the jerk that always grabbed him?
The only multiplayer game I played was Goldeneye

I think Nintendo got cocky and made it more difficult for third parties to develop games for them. They thought they their stable of games was enough to keep their console popular. I remember that was one thing back in the day that caused them to lose market share.

Also the Wii was fun for what it was, but it wasn't going to compete with the Xbox and PS for more serious gamers. That controller...

I agree the N64 is probably overrated, but it will always be one of my personal favorites just because of the fun I had with it as a kid. And even though it was only a handful of games, some of them remain all-time greats.

But they should have switched to disc technology and competed directly with Sony. Would have definitely expanded the number of strong titles and likely made the Gamecube much more successful. Nintendo really should've filled the niche that Xbox ultimately did. Factor in the brand recognition and worldwide renowned franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.) and it would probably still be #1 in the market.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. They've remained very strong in the handheld market though, and overall I think the Switch has been awesome.

Nintendo wouldn't have competed with Sony if they had stuck with disc technology, they would have been partners. They worked together for quite awhile before things fell apart, I always thought it was interesting Nintendo pretty much helped build their next big rival as Sega dug their hole with the Saturn. I think the GameCube would have had more support too if not for the way it had to be put on those tiny discs, but maybe not.

Nintendo wouldn't have competed with Sony if they had stuck with disc technology, they would have been partners. They worked together for quite awhile before things fell apart, I always thought it was interesting Nintendo pretty much helped build their next big rival as Sega dug their hole with the Saturn. I think the GameCube would have had more support too if not for the way it had to be put on those tiny discs, but maybe not.

That's correct. Sony would've supplied the CDROM drives for the N64 and PlayStation may have never been a thing at all.

The Sony/Nintendo partnership was interesting. They had already collaborated on the SNES, as Sony provided the sound chip that went into the console. When Nintendo had decided to partner with Sony again, this time to provide a CD add on for the SNES, it was originally going to be called "The Nintendo Play Station." According to the agreement Sony and Nintendo reached, Sony would develop and retain control over the Super Disc format, with Nintendo thus effectively ceding a large amount of control of software licensing to Sony. Further, Sony would also be the sole benefactor of licensing related to music and movies software that it had been aggressively pursuing as a secondary application. Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi was already wary of Sony at this point and deemed it unacceptable, thusly pulling out of the deal at the last minute, after they had already publicly announced the partnership. This infuriated the execs at Sony and so with engineer Ken Kutaragi, they took the concepts from the Nintendo project and developed the PlayStation console. And the rest...as they say...is history!

Last edited:
Reactions: DocVOLiday
Mmmmm, I don't really know of anyone who actually overrates this console. It's widely considered a failure in all respects.

Yeah, I would call the Wii U more of a biggest failure than overrated. The second screen gamepad was a cool idea and probably led to the Switch but everything else about the system was really underwelming. Plus the very fact they named it "Wii U" was a major fail since it was a marketing blunder. Was it a new console, was it just another Wii, didn't we already get a Wii, etc.

Though maybe Nintendo didn't think it would matter, since they specifically didn't call the GameCube the "Nintendo GameCube" (it's official name is GameCube Nintendo) because they thought parents wouldn't buy it since they'd see "Nintendo" and say "we already bought you a Nintendo (Nintendo 64)".

Strongly disagree with anyone who says GameCube

It lacked software dude. I mean, yeah it had a few great games like Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Zelda Windwaker, Smash Bros, Pikmin, MK Double Dash, etc. However it only had one major Mario game in Mario Sunshine, which paled in comparison to Mario 64. Waverace on GameCube paled in comparison to the N64 game. Star Fox on GameCube wasn't as good as Star Fox 64. No major high quality Pokémon games. No Punch Out. No Donkey Kong. No major RPG's to speak of. 3rd party support overall was weak AF. GameCube definitely had it's moments and I'm not saying it was a bad console, but I do think it was lacking in a lot of areas. A fine supplementary console, sure. But if that had been my only console that generation I would've been dissatisfied.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Does the Wii count? I remember being so excited for that then the motion controls were pretty awful for 90% of games. Only reason I still own one is to play a few GameCube games.

That Xbox Kinect thing was garbage too.

Gamecube is anything but overrated imo. It's just people have realized how over looked and underrated it was due to the juggernaut known as the PS2.

I don't know what console was overrated. PS2 was fantastic. PS1 was great. N64 was great. Gamecube was great. The original Xbox was meh but I think most people look at it as meh so it doesn't get overrated. The Dreamcast in hindsight was pretty solid for how short of a life span it had, but maybe people do overate it a tad, all things considered.

Last edited:
Gamecube is anything but overrated imo. It's just people have realized how over looked and underrated it was due to the juggernaut known as the PS2.

I don't know what console was overrated. PS2 was fantastic. PS1 was great. N64 was great. Gamecube was great. The original Xbox was meh but I think most people look at it as meh so it doesn't get overrated. The Dreamcast I'm hindsight was pretty solid for how short of a life span it had, but maybe people do overate it a tad, all things considered.

I preferred the OG Xbox over the 360. I thought it had better exclusives. The 360 had Halo, Gears, and Forza but I thought it was way too reliant on 3rd party games...most of which were on PS3 as well. And that's not even taking into account the red ring of death fiasco.

Reactions: UTK
I preferred the OG Xbox over the 360. I thought it had better exclusives. The 360 had Halo, Gears, and Forza but I thought it was way too reliant on 3rd party games...most of which were on PS3 as well. And that's not even taking into account the red ring of death fiasco.

You're not wrong. But the main reason I won't say the 360 is overrated is because it's kinda the first golden days platform of online console playing. Plus the PS3 was pretty ass until late in its life cycle imo. I'm a PlayStation guy through and through but I have to admit the 360 was the better console of the two. At least until 2011-2012 then it's debatable. I had a 360 that got the red ring but I also had a PS3 that had the yellow light of destruction as well so that was a problem both consoles had.

Reactions: UTwild82
You're not wrong. But the main reason I won't say the 360 is overrated is because it's kinda the first golden days platform of online console playing. Plus the PS3 was pretty ass until late in its life cycle imo. I'm a PlayStation guy through and through but I have to admit the 360 was the better console of the two. At least until 2011-2012 then it's debatable. I had a 360 that got the red ring but I also had a PS3 that had the yellow light of destruction as well so that was a problem both consoles had.
Oh no I'm not saying the 360 was overrated. Not at all. I just enjoyed the OG Xbox more because I felt it's library was more unique. Had the 360 managed to keep a lot of those early releases for themselves like Mass Effect, ES: Oblivion, Bioshock, Lost Planet, etc I might feel differently.

VN Store

Back