Most impactful play you witnessed at Neyland

Maybe not super impactful from the perspective of the outcome of the particular game or even that particular season, but Austin Pope punching the ball out of his own hands on what should have been a walk-in touchdown versus Florida in 2018 feels like a microcosm of the Pruitt era in hindsight.

Reigning National Champion LSU's Heisman winner Billy Cannon was trying to make a two-point conversion late in the game to get a win over the lackluster Vol's in 1959. The three Vol's who stopped him got that memory forever imbedded with a Sports Illustrated Cover that week. I was standing in the student section on the aisle entry midway up where it says VOLS on the fifty-yard line! There might be more meaningful plays in Vol history, but I didn't see them!

I'm not a Vol fan, but it has to be the Stoerner fumble and nothing else would be close. So, acknowledging that I will mention another play because no one else usually does.

In the 98 game against Florida, during the overtime on 3rd down Florida's D had Tee Martin dead and buried and he somehow escaped and scrambled for enough yardage to get back into field goal range. If he doesn't pull a Houdini, the overtime may be completely different.

I was there for Stoerner fumble, but I think one of the coolest for me was in 1990 vs florida when Dale Carter returned the 2nd
have opening kickoff for a touchdown that blew a tight game wide open and the rout was on. The kick was going about of bounds
when he grabbed it.

Stoener's fumble is really the only answer to those of us who were around 24 years ago and attending games. Before that moment for me it was Mike Terry intercepting Walter Lewis in the end zone to wrap the win over Bama in 1982 with the Jeff Hall FG coming in in 3rd place.

I was there for Stoerner fumble, but I think one of the coolest for me was in 1990 vs florida when Dale Carter returned the 2nd
have opening kickoff for a touchdown that blew a tight game wide open and the rout was on. The kick was going about of bounds
when he grabbed it.

This play was the first that came to my mind when I read the question.

The interception on Bama’s last drive of the 1982 game that sealed the victory for one of the loudest games in Neyland.

I was there with my Dad, I had just turned 14. First time I drank Jack Daniels. We stayed in our seats for about an hour. Saw guys carrying goal post down Cumberland Ave. which the police had blocked off due to the massive street party.

VN Store

Back